Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Boutique PAF Clones
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jackspack
Sus4add11

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have BKP mules in mine...definite difference to the original, which are un-named but presumably gotoh's. There is more difference between the bridge and neck now, and clear but with more smooth midrange. I don't know if its an improvement to how other people hear me.
To add to the scientific debate, in my double blind randomised controlled trial, I play my LS more now than I did. Ho ho ho
Freebird
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know a guy, Dom, who plays in, and directs, some of the Classic Albums Live shows. He lives in Toronto. He uses Lollars in his old Tokai. A low wind Imperial in the neck and a regular wind in the bridge. He swears by them. I think the guitar is an old LS-80. The guitar was black when he bought it, he took it to his tech who got curious what was under the paint. Turns out he ended up with one of the nicest wide-flamed solid tops I've seen. He won't sell it to me.
Mole Man
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freebird wrote:
I know a guy, Dom, who plays in, and directs, some of the Classic Albums Live shows. He lives in Toronto. He uses Lollars in his old Tokai. A low wind Imperial in the neck and a regular wind in the bridge. He swears by them. I think the guitar is an old LS-80. The guitar was black when he bought it, he took it to his tech who got curious what was under the paint. Turns out he ended up with one of the nicest wide-flamed solid tops I've seen. He won't sell it to me.

Great post! May I say that I think it's damn inconsiderate of your friend to not sell his LS-80 to you...
rdpickups
I only know 3 chords

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrillerKiller wrote:

i personaly feel that most modern pickups have the edge on vintage pickups ... and a lot of hype goes into them

theres good and bad products within batches (even more so for hand wound pickups),who`s to say you`d get a good one for your $300 !!!

and as for buying second hand,if they were so good why get rid ? ... dissapointment ?

and are they really better than a good stock pickup ?

and if they are,are they really worth the markup for which (after all) is 30 pence of materials ?

if a guitar doesnt "sing" acoustically,sustain forever without help,then all the money in the world isnt going to make it ...

strings, good setup plectrum and thats before she`s even plugged in

if you want a sound to mod and call your own get butchering your gear

my advice is buy a guitar you like the sound of !!! (you do try them first dont you?)

hi DrillerKiller,

some interesting points, im going to try and answer with as little self promotion as I can

firstly you are absolutely correct, hand wound pickups are variable, every set we make is a little different, but the tonal quality is the same, I can't speak for other winders but we test every set, about 1 in 15 or so ends up rewound. consistent quality is not just an aspiration it is a business MUST and any winder who would ignore that is in peril of loosing their reputation, you never know just who has bought the last set. So botique "should" be more consistent

Are they really better than stock pickups?

Not all botique pickups are the same, some are just hand wound kits which are no better than many stock pickups, I am not speaking for, or about the other winders mentioned by the OP but i have tried at least two sets of "botique" pickups which left a lot to be desired considering the price.

an additional 30 pence of material? ......

I wish....., the materials we use cost significantly more than those used in any stock pickups I have seen, but you are right it is not the bulk of the cost for any botique or small winder,...... that is without doubt the time involved, and with that comes heating, light, electricity, machinery, tooling, and all the things the big guys use but they can make 20 sets or 100 sets in the time it takes us to make one. not to mention the fact that we are not making these in China

Good hardware has as much to do with how a guitar sustains as the block of wood it is mounted to, we have polished a few turds that began their life as a tonally dead guitar, yes the wood is important, but not as much as many people think IMHO.....

If you can find a guitar that sings, or "talks to you" and does everything you want straight off the shelf then great, many people don't like the idea of upgrading or modding, but many do, sometimes they dont have the time or even a decent or relevant local selection of guitar shops to sample guitars until they find "the one", I certiantly didn't or when I did it was so far out of my price range that it was unattainable. .... but this debate is an ongoing one that won't end here anyway.... so horses for courses I think is the appropriate phrase.

MIJ guitars are without doubt the best bang for the buck for any guitarist, they were a revelation to me a few years ago and are probably responsible for the seeds that grew RD Pickups.

Their stock pickups are better than most, but for humbuckers, only the DRY Z's are what I would call stellar, but i havent tried them all so I am not saying there are no others.

Anyway its about time the focus changed, .... maybe we should consider doing a free guitar with every set of pickups just to prove it LOL

Declan
RD Pickups
Mole Man
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I've decided to take the plunge and have placed an order for a set of the Vintage Reloaded-P2's from RD Pickups for my LS-150!!

Unfortunately the limited time offer on these pickup sets for Tokai Forumites has now closed (Tokai web page link no longer there). Anyone who was like me similarly dithering over ordering a set at the old, offer price will now have to contact Declan at RD Pickups and beg... (I will say that having had the great pleasure of speaking to Declan at some length, he sounds like a very reasonable man).

My pickups are now scheduled to be handwound and built for this Monday evening (no Easter Bank Holiday for these guys...), with testing for the next day and shipping for this Wednesday!! (How speedy is that)?? I'm excited!!

Expect a full tone report on this thread...
barburny
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good choice Mole.I know you won't be disapointed.My P1s are fantasic and i love them the only thing I dont like is the clarity is so good you cant hide your bum notes
JohnA
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one Moleman!! Like barburny I love my P1's, I'm sure you'll be happy! Post and let us all know what you think!
DrillerKiller
Sus4add11

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rdpickups wrote:
hi DrillerKiller,

some interesting points, im going to try and answer with as little self promotion as I can

firstly you are absolutely correct, hand wound pickups are variable, every set we make is a little different, but the tonal quality is the same, I can't speak for other winders but we test every set, about 1 in 15 or so ends up rewound. consistent quality is not just an aspiration it is a business MUST and any winder who would ignore that is in peril of loosing their reputation, you never know just who has bought the last set. So botique "should" be more consistent

Are they really better than stock pickups?

Not all botique pickups are the same, some are just hand wound kits which are no better than many stock pickups, I am not speaking for, or about the other winders mentioned by the OP but i have tried at least two sets of "botique" pickups which left a lot to be desired considering the price.

an additional 30 pence of material? ......

I wish....., the materials we use cost significantly more than those used in any stock pickups I have seen, but you are right it is not the bulk of the cost for any botique or small winder,...... that is without doubt the time involved, and with that comes heating, light, electricity, machinery, tooling, and all the things the big guys use but they can make 20 sets or 100 sets in the time it takes us to make one. not to mention the fact that we are not making these in China

Good hardware has as much to do with how a guitar sustains as the block of wood it is mounted to, we have polished a few turds that began their life as a tonally dead guitar, yes the wood is important, but not as much as many people think IMHO.....

If you can find a guitar that sings, or "talks to you" and does everything you want straight off the shelf then great, many people don't like the idea of upgrading or modding, but many do, sometimes they dont have the time or even a decent or relevant local selection of guitar shops to sample guitars until they find "the one", I certiantly didn't or when I did it was so far out of my price range that it was unattainable. .... but this debate is an ongoing one that won't end here anyway.... so horses for courses I think is the appropriate phrase.

MIJ guitars are without doubt the best bang for the buck for any guitarist, they were a revelation to me a few years ago and are probably responsible for the seeds that grew RD Pickups.

Their stock pickups are better than most, but for humbuckers, only the DRY Z's are what I would call stellar, but i havent tried them all so I am not saying there are no others.

Anyway its about time the focus changed, .... maybe we should consider doing a free guitar with every set of pickups just to prove it LOL

Declan
RD Pickups

nice post rdpickups just seen it !!!

"about 1 in 15 or so ends up rewound" <- good to know your on the case

"an additional 30 pence of material?" <-i have a good idea how much it costs to source (60p )

"yes the wood is important, but not as much as many people think IMHO" <- try going virtual,with say a GK ... even dead strings still affect the tone,first thing to look for is playablility ... no sustain = still no sustain, no pickup in the world is going to change that ...

"If you can find a guitar that sings, or "talks to you" and does everything you want straight off the shelf then great" <- these guitars as we all know are rarities,as the market gets flooded with cheap knockoffs theres more chance of finding gems within them...

what i`m getting at is theres way to much hype and misinformation in the guitar world... a guitar that sounds "poo" not plugged in will still sound poo amplified (another topic of debate,what doesnt sound good distorted with fx?) ... anyone thats starting out will not notice the difference untill they go for "the note" <-

"maybe we should consider doing a free guitar with every set of pickups just to prove it LOL" <- i`ll get my cheque book out
t.olsen

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody here compared the RDs directly against the Dry Zs in the same guitar ? Just checked the soundfiles on the RD website and I guess i should own a nice pair
rdpickups
I only know 3 chords

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

t.olsen,
we would be glad to wind you a set of pickups, and yes we have compared them to DRY Z but i guess you are looking for an independent opinion. drop me a PM or give me a call if you want a no obligation chat.

Driller,
I think we are talking the same language if we define what a poo guitar is and it is not always related to price.

Nothing wrong with a little hype if something is worth being hyped, its what keeps businesses alive, ..... however I agree that all too often things don't live up to their expectations but i am not sure the blame always lies 100% with the object of attention.

Mis-information is all around us, and from what I have seen, it is usualy the result of contrasting, and sometimes well intended subjective opinions.

Like it or not its a damn minefield out there and it is just as difficult for a business to crack that minefield as it is for a consumer to navigate it.

I am 100% sure that we (RD Pickups) can blow anyones socks off with a set of our pickups, and WE WILL find you "that note", however just in case I am wrong, we have a 100% hype proof money back guarantee.

Declan
RD Pickups
http://www.rdpickups.com

P.S I've done the calculation and unfortunately (even if the materials were only 60p more) if we do the free guitar we will be bankrupt in a week
Big Willie Style
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's so funny though, how the exact same pickups can sound completely different tonally to different players, or even in different guitars and the same player for that matter. Some of you guys love the MK-II's. I have 3 guitars that came with them stock. To me, my LS-150 sounded muddy with them, the SG-155 sounded shrill, but the ES-120 sounds awesome!

I've since switched the SG to LeoSounds Growldogs and it sounds amazing - very AC/DC-ish. So I thought I'd try them in the LS and it sounds too dark for my liking. So they're going back in the SG and I'm going to try humbicker-sized p90's in the LP. I was thinking about trying p-rails but they just look a little too 'untraditional' for my taste. And, I get most of the switching options they offer from my Eddie JP.

Jason
BlueThird
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rdpickups wrote:
I've done the calculation and unfortunately (even if the materials were only 60p more) if we do the free guitar we will be bankrupt in a week

What you should do if you're really confident, Declan, is grab a couple of these (different colours, for ease of identification) and replace the pickups in one of them. Perfect for demonstrating the pickups at trade shows, lending to journos, etc etc.

And if you want to take it a step further you could let people compare an upgraded LS48 to a stock LS75. The price difference (in Yen, at least) is almost exactly the same as the price of the pickups, so it would give people a very good idea of whether your basic idea ??that the wood isn't all that important ??holds up.
rdpickups
I only know 3 chords

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlueThird wrote:
What you should do if you're really confident, Declan, is grab a couple of these (different colours, for ease of identification) and replace the pickups in one of them. Perfect for demonstrating the pickups at trade shows, lending to journos, etc etc...

And if you want to take it a step further you could let people compare an upgraded LS48 to a stock LS75. The price difference (in Yen, at least) is almost exactly the same as the price of the pickups, so it would give people a very good idea of whether your basic idea ? that the wood isn't all that important ? holds up.

I am totally with you on this idea, unfortunately, (and its a terrible predicament to be in)..... we need to purchase a couple of strats, teles, P & J Basses just to survive the pickup developments this year, we fully intend to have no fun with any of them whatsoever....

However, not to step awayfrom the challenge, if there is an established forum member who has such a pair of guitars and fancys doing a little experiment then I am sure we can arrange something....

Declan
RD Pickups
DrillerKiller
Sus4add11

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

loving it rdpickups,you seem to have genuine love for your end product ... as a company you`ve sold me ....

any plans on doing a monster hi-gain rippy face off type pickup ?
BobK
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A very interesting topic.

Another thing is of course the Amp! Recently a guy in our office bought a decent copy, (Squier) and matched it with a truly crummy amp. Did make me chuckle when he moaned about the guitar, "I thought you said a Squier was decent Bob"? "Not when you put it through a ?10.00 amp you clearly bought in Argos" I replied.....

Needless to say, sure we all use decent amps, but, do have an effect on the sound you hear!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: