Matched pair of Dry Zs in the bay

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

http://cgi.ebay.de/1980-Greco-Z-dry-pickup_W0QQitemZ160424611201QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar_Accessories?hash=item255a0d4d81

Seems that around 600 USD is standard in the meanwhile
If I would buy those pus,I would have to pay with shipping and custom tax 830 USD,in euros 615... :eek:
Buying a guitar with dry zs already in should be the better solution :lol:

I have two sets Dry Z pups:
one set I paid $600 for .................
the other set I paid $795 for the guitar with original Dry Z pups so the guitar cost $195 :lol: ................

I don't know if Dry Zs are worth $600 a set but man they sure sound nice 8)

you should try them :wink: ................

MIJvintage said:
you should try them :wink: ................

I would like to :lol: but prices won't go down.But I have a dream of owning a egf 1200...if it comes true,the problem is solved !
This strange koiz samurai has listed 10 pairs in stock on his website...always when asking,he told me they are not for sale :roll:

why own an EGF-1200; just for the Dry Z pups?

that's a lot of money for a veneer :evil: top LP that has incorrect :evil: body perimeter dimensions, namely the upper/small bout & the horn/cutaway

Why blow $3K+ on a set of Cadillac pickups like that, when they are sitting in a Volkswagen chunk of lumber?

Just blow the $600 on the Dry Zs & put them in a guitar with the construction & materials that merit?s & matches the cost of the pickups :wink:

MIJvintage said:
why own an EGF-1200; just for the Dry Z pups?

that's a lot of money for a veneer :evil: top LP that has incorrect :evil: body perimeter dimensions, namely the upper/small bout & the horn/cutaway

Why blow $3K+ on a set of Cadillac pickups like that, when they are sitting in a Volkswagen chunk of lumber?

Just blow the $600 on the Dry Zs & put them in a guitar with the construction & materials that merit?s & matches the cost of the pickups :wink:

Mark will not be happy :lol: :lol: :lol: The 1200 cannot be that worst if people are willing to pay 3k

here's my beef with the EGF line:
veener top (thru the 1200 model) = :evil:
incorrect body perimeter dimensions = :evil:
most expensive set of Greco pickups in a non solid top LP copy, with the wrong body perimeter dimensions.
To my thinking, Greco really didn't think that thru' too well ..........

If people are willing to pay $3K+ for a veener top copy of a late 50s Gibson that also has incorrect body perimeter demensions, then Gibson would have been making veneer topped Les Pauls in 1958, and selling them for $185 instead of $245 :wink: ..........

If you want a solid top, buy an EGF-1800 but you'll still get the wrong body demensions :p ................

All les pauls you can buy today,new or vintage have absolutely nothing to do with a real 59 burst.If it's tokai,gibson,greco,bacchus or whatever.Some may have the right dimensions,some may not but even a perfect copy in every point is not made from the same wood,hasn't the same pickups and doesn't sound like a burst.And I guess if you take all existing bursts the differents between them will be huge.
So,I am not hunting for the perfect burst copy.I cannot say if I would be able to hear a difference between egf 1200 and 1800 and I don't think so.But if the guitar feels right in my hands and the tone would blow me away,I don't care about veneer or solid top.
But it would be nice if more people had the same opinion and cause a price drop on grecos :wink:

hey,come on..let me dream :wink:
I am sure when I have one one day,I will like it when I play it only for my ears,living on the country side
Perhaps I will find a pair of dry zs as well to put it in another guitar to compare :lol:

So if a used set is worth say $600-700. What is a mint Un-used set worth with?

Back.jpg
Front.jpg
Mountingscrewsandsprings.jpg

don't know of any info but it's an easily discernable visual.
the smaller upper bout radius isn't very correct looking & neither is the cutaway/horn

the 1982 Mint Collection EGs are a huge improvement.
the smaller/upper bout & cutaway/horn dimensions are much closer to the real deal than the EGF

a lot of folks won't notice something so subtle; it's been mentioned here before tho' ..................

the arch of the cutaway/horn radius is not as continuous on the EGF, and you can see that creates a very pointy looking horn, with less material in the cutaway radius just above the horn tip.
The distance between a center line of the body & the smaller bouts on the EGFs is just a bit longer than on the EGs.
This also effects the cutaway issue & the smaller/upper bout issue.

I believe the Burny RLGs consistantly have the most accurate looking demensions AFA body perimeter & cutaways ...........
The most accurate looking example I have is probably my BLS-59 :D

1980 EGF-1000
EGF-1Kfrtflash-1.jpg

The MC models have more materaial in the cutaway radius, because the radius arch is cut more correctly.
Result = a much more rounded, less pointed looking horn tip :D
Also, just a hair less distance from a body center line to the smaller bout edges = better/corrected arch demensions 8)

Mint Collection EG
EG6001.jpg

CliffsComicWorld said:
So if a used set is worth say $600-700. What is a mint Un-used set worth with?

Back.jpg
Front.jpg
Mountingscrewsandsprings.jpg

A brandnew set ist totally useless...mint = no mojo,no vintage vibe ! Believe me,I am a true expert 8) It's worth about 250 USD,but ok,I give you 300 if you sell it to me :wink:

CliffsComicWorld said:
[

Rich,.... Where can we find the info?

it's really obvious, that upper horn is way to sharp and the greco's bursts always look off to me too. Most haven't the nice teardrop shape like the 59's. But ofcourse this doesn't mean they can't be spectacular guitars.

MIJvintage said:
don't know of any info but it's an easily discernable visual.
the smaller upper bout radius isn't very correct looking & neither is the cutaway/horn

the 1982 Mint Collection EGs are a huge improvement.
the smaller/upper bout & cutaway/horn dimensions are much closer to the real deal than the EGF

a lot of folks won't notice something so subtle; it's been mentioned here before tho' ..................

the arch of the cutaway/horn radius is not as continuous on the EGF, and you can see that creates a very pointy looking horn, with less material in the cutaway radius just above the horn tip.
The distance between a center line of the body & the smaller bouts on the EGFs is just a bit longer than on the EGs.
This also effects the cutaway issue & the smaller/upper bout issue.

I believe the Burny RLGs consistantly have the most accurate looking demensions AFA body perimeter & cutaways ...........
The most accurate looking example I have is probably my BLS-59 :D

1980 EGF-1000
EGF-1Kfrtflash-1.jpg

The MC models have more materaial in the cutaway radius, because the radius arch is cut more correctly.
Result = a much more rounded, less pointed looking horn tip :D
Also, just a hair less distance from a body center line to the smaller bout edges = better/corrected arch demensions 8)

Mint Collection EG
EG6001.jpg

Great observations!!! This is why I joined the forum 8)

!BrHQ!sQ!mk~$(KGrHqIH-CoEvCKM+tU(BLyTJPfGm!~~_12.JPG

Sheesh, another set of Zs that are potted to hell and back. Is it true some of these are not wax potted? If so, I've never seen it.[/img]

Why bother paying silly money for a set of Dry-Z's that have been messed with when one can order a new set of Vintage Reloaded P1's (based on a set of original Dry-Z's) from forum sponsors RD Pickups and have then custom wound to suit your guitar/amp set up and playing style? Save a chunk of change as well.

http://rdpickups.com/

No need to leave one's common sense at home when shopping for pickups...

Best regards,
Darren

cryptozoo said:
!BrHQ!sQ!mk~$(KGrHqIH-CoEvCKM+tU(BLyTJPfGm!~~_12.JPG

Sheesh, another set of Zs that are potted to hell and back. Is it true some of these are not wax potted? If so, I've never seen it.[/img]

James, I admitted in this thread that I was COMPLETELY WRONG :oops: in my assumption that Greco pickups were not potted.
http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=15682

After seeing the two examples I scoped out under the 'scope :lol: I relented & repented & changed my tune :)

The confusion for me was that, veiwing the pickups without the aid of a microscope I could see no indications of a (typical) wax potting of Greco pickups.
Even with the use of a microscope, the potting of the Greco examples I saw was not typical wax potting but non the less I saw indications of wax worked into areas that is not visible with the naked eye.

'Typical' wax potting would leave massive amounts of wax completely filling the areas between the bases & the underneath side of the covers; the Greco pickups are not potted to that extent but again, they are certainly potted non the less.

I was wrong :eek: & can admit when I am wrong :eek: ; as much as that may be a surprise to some here :lol: ....................

Ha, sorry if it seemed like I was calling you out -- I didn't mean to come off like that. I didn't know it had been figured out one way or another as to whether all of them were potted, but it would make sense to me that they were.

cryptozoo said:
Ha, sorry if it seemed like I was calling you out -- I didn't mean to come off like that. I didn't know it had been figured out one way or another as to whether all of them were potted, but it would make sense to me that they were.

I believe there was a friendly debate about it in another thread, in which I was stating I did not believe the Greco pickups were potted but you were saying they were.

Wasn't until I actually had a couple sets under the scope that I could see the evidence.

They don't have the typical wax potting characteristic of having all of the inner spaces completely filled with wax, as they have less volume of wax but as I stated, they do certainly have wax worked into the spaces between the components, just not completely filling all the voids between the base & the cover.

It was quite interesting to see these two sets under the scope, and it's a great way to cleanly trim the leads for a re-install into another guitar.

OBTW, got the MIJ brass saddle TOM bridge :D
Thanks

Back