I hate this to be my first post, but....fake or not?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

examiner

Reaction score
Advertised locally. My gut tells me MIC counterfeit, but I've got limited knowledge. White control covers on back, I asked for a shot of the bridge but didn't get it. Asking price is $600.

Thanks in advance for helping the newbie.

Close2.jpg

Front.jpg

Back.jpg

Hello, welcome to the forum.

I think your gut is right, It should have 2(Japanese) or a 3(Chinese/Korean) screw truss rod cover.

The logo looks terrible, the writing should get thinner as it goes, notice how that one is all the same thickness. the headstock dimple looks nothing like the guitars for the UK market.

Colin

my research has told me to stay away from

that logo
that trc
the font and size of that serial
and those machine heads

I also dont like the fact you can see the neck joint and the rose wood on the fret board looks petty cheap too...

Lots "not right" with it.

The metal flake in the gold finish is too large, too pronounced, too bass boat looking.

Not seen a scarf neck joint like that below the headstock on the backside

Those double ring tuners are wrong - nice upgrade but wrong

I don't mind the open book headstock with a torn out page on the UK import models, but this dimple/pimple/nib or whatever looks ugly. Also the nut looks too small for the neck. Maybe the guitar had some upgrades, but it's not nicely done.

Diodibuh said:
two piece neck - that's wrong also

It's probably 3 piece (another piece at the heel)...

Definite cheapo and not a Japanese Tokai, but impossible to say what it would be like as a player. It could be pretty good, but only at half the price IMO.

Latest posts

Back