Need Info about my 7okai's

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TubeAmpLord

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm new to this forum. First of all, HAPPY NEW YEAR 2005.

I have 5 7okai guitars and some questions about them:

The first is a '54 Ash model 60 stamped on the fret board, in 3T SB with serial 0012319.
What would be the year of manufacture? 80 or 81?

The second one is a beautiful "Breezy Sound" '63 Black Custom Tele with binding and silver logo serial L06847.
No indication of model #. Any ideas?

The 3rd is a '63 #60 (sticker near neck heal) Candy Apple Red "Springy Sound" serial L01262
The 4th is a '57 #50 (sticker near neck heal) Candy Apple Red "Springy Sound" serial 11463
The 5th is a '57 no # 2T SB medium flamed neck, serial 10924.

What can you tell me about them with that kind of info.
I really don't know whether these are good models or entry level ones.

Anyway, I love the sound of all of them better than my old 1961 Strat...which I sold BTW.

I don't see any differences between the model #. What do they mean?
Are the higher model supposed to be better? Because if this is th case, I can't tell the difference.

Also, someone is offering me a very early '54 Ash Springy Sound with no serial #... Is that possible?

I was considering having all of my 7okai's refinished is nitro lacquer and put cloth wire inside... is it okay to do that? Or will they decrease in value like Vinatge Fender's?

I will post pics of all of them ASAP.

Regards,

TubeAmpLord

You can't date the Fender copies by serial number.

Search through the catalogs on TokaiRegistry.com

Higher model is better.

Anything you change from original will decrease the value as the guitar will no longer be original and will loose collectibility if it had any.

Read the FAQ's, use the search.

I would not refinish a Tokai guitar. Tokai finishes are excellent, I also suspect that you may already have nitro finishes on some of the 7okai's. When I open the case that contains my TE-50 7okai Breezy (probably from 1981) there is a distinctive smell that guitars with a poly finish do not have. I suspect that the guitar has a nitro finish, the neck has yellowed very nicely just like a 1964 Fender tele I once had. Also, the 80's Tokai poly finishes are great, they are not thick as on many of todays guitars. Thick finishes seem to kill the guitars tone and resonance. Even my 2002 Tokai AST-50 has a great thin poly finish where you can see the alder grain and the tone/sustain is excellent.

Mike

Back