Any flags on this Goldstar?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

den

Reaction score
Are there any flags or opinions on the genuineness of this Goldstar, described as a 62 Reissue. I think it might be a 2009, serial number 094027. Is this an MIJ, MIK, or MIC?

5815me120.jpg

9259g4420.jpg

28044d920.jpg

sam0182.jpg

Thanks much,
Den

Where is the serial number? To the best of my knowledge it hasn't been possible to date a Tokai Strat from the serial number since around 1981.

The newest Japanese Goldstars & Breezys don't even have serial numbers, unfortunately.

Mike

Because the serial numbers from that time onwards don't indicate date of manufacture.

stratman323 said:
Where is the serial number?
It doesn't appear to have an externally visible serial number, but there is an "original" price tag on the back spring cover (which is white) from a reputable large store chain (which makes errors with respect to counterfeits all the time nonetheless, they are no experts like you guys here). The price tag has something that looks like an SKU and another barcode/number that looks like a serial number, i.e. the mentioned 094027. The tag also says "Tokai Strat Rd J"; "Rd" probably mean Red; wonder what "J" means?

Many thanks ...
Den

BlueThird said:
Think it's most likely the metallic red version of the new AST33. Chinese.
Hm, interesting. A direct foreign exchange from the indicated price at the AST33 link places it at $370 CAD. The seller, 3rd hand, is asking $600. The original price tag on the guitar indicates $800. Does any of that jive?

Many thanks ...
Den

BlueThird said:
Think it's most likely the metallic red version of the new AST33. Chinese.

BlueThird, followup question: it's hard to see the front side of the tuners from the AST33 link pictures, but do those match i.e. the one I am asking about has "split" tuners (don't know exact term), which I (possibly naively) kind of consider vintage-like, but the AST33 link looks almost like maybe those tuners are solid, really not sure. As you can tell, I am not a huge expert.

Many continued thanks ...
Den

Assuming that it is one of the new Goldstars, I'm sticking by AST33 on the grounds that the other two (the AST70 and AST100) both have the truss rod adjustment at the headstock and yours doesn't. If you click on the image of the AST33 at the Tokai site you get a bigger image, but it's not really conclusive on the issue of the tuners.

You'd obviously expect the Canadian pricing to be higher than it is in Japan, but I can't tell you what the difference would be. Did it include the case? Did you buy it new or secondhand?

BlueThird said:
Assuming that it is one of the new Goldstars, I'm sticking by AST33 on the grounds that the other two (the AST70 and AST100) both have the truss rod adjustment at the headstock and yours doesn't. If you click on the image of the AST33 at the Tokai site you get a bigger image, but it's not really conclusive on the issue of the tuners.
A rather excellent point on the truss rod adjustment screw, definitely not AST70 or AST100. But njnall has a couple of excellent points as well. Hm. No chance it's an MIJ? or MIK?

BlueThird said:
You'd obviously expect the Canadian pricing to be higher than it is in Japan, but I can't tell you what the difference would be. Did it include the case? Did you buy it new or secondhand?
I haven't bought it yet, trying to figure out if I should consider (trying to take into account many time mentioned advice on this site to ASK BEFORE buying :)). It does include the shown case, non-Tokai but nice shape tweed variant, but used it should add $50 CAD max.

Den

Den, if you do buy it and find out which model it is, you'd be doing the forum a great service by posting as much detail about it as you can. As far as I know, no one here has yet had their hands on the new Strats.

BlueThird said:
Den, if you do buy it and find out which model it is, you'd be doing the forum a great service by posting as much detail about it as you can. As far as I know, no one here has yet had their hands on the new Strats.

I am feeling a fall and sword coming up :p

BlueThird said:

True, but I think Diamond might have held onto one of the new Goldstars. And I grabbed one of the new Breezy ATE50s.

To close off this particular thread, I've decided and purchased another strat, a nearly new Fender American Standard. The price difference on this one and the Fender was not that substantial to be able to call this Tokai "a great value" -- I am sure it's fine guitar, however.

Thank you for all the comments and help! Fantastic group here!

So just as a completion to this thread, I am the new owner of said guitar in the picture. The Seller substantually dropped the price and we traded for some gear i was not using. This is a great playing guitar but other than the number on the price tag, I can't find a serial #. The pots say made in Japan, but so do most american guitars!! :roll: What should I be looking for to find out where this came from?

Back