Baachus BLP-59 - What? When? etc

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I also mentioned in one post that there are probably two different Yuta pickups. I have BST54 (fat neck) and BST 62 (slimmer, very similar to '79 sikverstar maple neck - short answer to neck question) and they have totaly different outputs. I wrote this down somewhere on this forum.
I also found out that Tokai SS maple necks are litlle bit fatter than rosewood necks - I had 5 SS till now.

I found my old post ;)

to answer my question - now I have two Bacchus guitars (54V and 62) + extra Yuta pickup set I just installed in Tokai SS (+ changed all electronics and wired 2 volume, 1 tone pot - if anyone needs that schematics, let me know).
I compared both Bacchus and find that BST62 has more gain. I put guitar apart. Ohm meter shows around 6,4 k on pickups, on 54V and other Yuta pickups shows around 5,7 k Ohm. So looks like there are two version of Yuta pickups - Yuta VS1 5,7 k (in 50's Bacchus) and Yuta VS2 6,4 (in 60's Bacchus).
I also found this web site with Fender pickup specifications and makes sense.
If Bacchus makes clones, also pickups should be similar to original year stratocasters
http://www.provide.net/~cfh/pickups.html

both guitars (now actually all three guitars) with different Yuta pickups sound really really great. So if you need to upgrade strat I definitelly recommend Yuta pickups

^ Exactly!

General rule should be that the 50s copies will have the lower output alnicos.
There's probably a few exceptions out there though!

JVsearch said:
^ Exactly!

General rule should be that the 50s copies will have the lower output alnicos.
There's probably a few exceptions out there though!

I think I posted the readings of my BST-57 somewhere and I'm sure they were 6.4K or something, in fact most of the Yutas I've seen have been up there, I suspect they Bacchus the hotter ones most of the time.

Well John, from MIJ's description, it seems that those Yutas I bought from you are Alnico Specials! Not a problem, they work well in my red Goldie.

JohnA - maybe there is a difference btw 54 and 57 Bacchus. Do you remember the difference in sound on this two guitars?

jacco said:
marcusnieman said:
The in between positions 2 and 4 sound far better and stronger than any of my Strats..... think VERY Robert Cray.

marcus, what kind of amp do you use?

Mostly tube amps - Fenders and Magnatones. No pedals or effects (other than a Dunlop Uni Vibe stomp box for non trem amps)

My go to amp in most cases is a Fender Blues Junior limited edition tweed.

As for the Bacchus necks - my BST64-V is more on the chunky side. The profile is almost exactly that of my Fender 65 strat..... very comfortable to play because I'm used to it. Skinnier profiles (like a 62) are almost too slim for my liking.

Diodibuh said:
JohnA - maybe there is a difference btw 54 and 57 Bacchus. Do you remember the difference in sound on this two guitars?

To my ears my BST-57 and your BST-54 sounded very similar indeed, the slight difference I put down to one being alder and the other ash, the pickups sounded very similar.

Mike - I'm still not convinced there such a thing as alnico specials, I think Yutas may have had varying pole pieces and maybe wire, in all other respects the pickups look the same, even the little coloured dots on the bases, mij's comments about being more interested in the readings was simply another way to identify which was which, if there is a difference!

As Doidibuh pointed out there were Yuta VS-1's and vs-2's not 100% sure of the differences though.

Whatever those pickups were I sold you they certainly sounded very similar to the ones in the other Bacchi I've played :D

Probably not as many as you, maybe had 7 or 8 Baccus Strats through my hands, some with flat poles & some with beveled, all sounded very similar to my ears. the 'dots' make me think they all came from the same manufacturer, Keiyo, and alnico specials were re-named Yuta at some point.

It's just an opinion, I may be wrong, but that doesn't make it BS

I haven't read anything, and I'm not stating as fact, just expressing a personal opinion that there are enough similarities in appearance and sound to suggest that all of the pickups COULD be made by keiyo, and Yutas are just an evolution of the Alnico Specials and therefor the main change was maybe only the name in the Bacchus catalogues.

To be honest I don't really care they all sound great!

Ok, so MIJvintage & JohnA don't like each other anymore..
The only problem here is that MIJvintage is into details and JohnA is not. To demonstrate this, here's MIJvintage:
instead of paying attention to the differences in the actual physical/visual attributes of the two different pickups, it seemed that some were more interested in pickup output
And here's JohnA:
if you are after all the anal details like hide glue look elsewhere
It's a shame to see that the 2 persons with probably the most experience on Bacchus strats here on the forum aren't working together on this matter. :(

jacco said:
Ok, so MIJvintage & JohnA don't like each other anymore..
The only problem here is that MIJvintage is into details and JohnA is not. To demonstrate this, here's MIJvintage:
instead of paying attention to the differences in the actual physical/visual attributes of the two different pickups, it seemed that some were more interested in pickup output
And here's JohnA:
if you are after all the anal details like hide glue look elsewhere
It's a shame to see that the 2 persons with probably the most experience on Bacchus strats here on the forum aren't working together on this matter. :(

Hi Jaco

No, looking at the details there is IMO definitely evidence to suggest Alnico Specials and YUTA's are quite possibly evolutions of the same pickup, manufactured by Keiyo, the coloured dots on the bases which are definitely done by Keiyo as I have bought aftermarket YUTAS which already have the dots so they don't look like they are done by Bacchus, the baseplate material and construction look identical, and I know all Strat pickups look similar, but looking at the 'details' they look more than just similar.

Also IMO the ones with the flat poles and the ones with the bevelled poles sound the same, mijvintage has said the YUTAS 'suck' which I find a funny comment as they sound exactly like the others which are believed not to be YUTAS.

In the past we have tried to get together some resistance readings to try and establish if there is a pattern between the flat pole pickups and the bevelled poles, but mij has been totally dismissive of the idea insisting that readings are meaningless, IMO they are facts that can assist us in identifying details using hard evidence.

I haven't 'fallen out' with mij, but I admit that his attitude often frustrates me, especially when rather than answer a simple, direct question, he thinks it's better to make a smart-arsed comment!!

tot ziens :D

John

MIJvintage said:
yes, all Strat pickup usually have 6 poles, a magnet, a bobbin, some wires, and they all sound the same, so they must be made by ACME pickups in Arizona, yep ...................

Really? I thought only ceramic pickups had 6 poles & a separate magnet? Alnico pickups don't have a separate magnet, the poles are the magnets. I'm surprised you don't know that MIJ. :eek:

Once again, the reason we are having this "heated debate" (as Mrs. Merton used to say) is because we are faced with a Japanese manufacturer who can't be bothered to write their name on their products.

Why???? :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

It's pretty basic business sense to stamp or engrave the name of your company on your product so people know they have the genuine article. Why don't companies do this?

In some ways, Bare Knuckle is a shining example of what to do - they engrave their company name on the base of their Strat pickups in a way that must be hard to fake. Great. 8) But then they spoil it all by failing to give any indication of which model pickup they have carefully engraved! :roll: A set of BK Irish Tour pickups I thought I had turn out to be a Slow Hand set, according to Tim at BK. It's a good job he can tell because I couldn't.

Incidentally, the Slow Hand set, fitted to one Goldie, makes an interesting comparison with the Yuta/Alnico SP/whatever the hell they are set I bought from John & fitted to another Goldie. They are broadly similar in tone & resistance readings, overwound, rather fat & warm sounding & with a hotter bridge pickup (7.4k to 7.8k). Right now I think the Yutas/whatever are winning, mainly because of the excessive stagger on the middle two poles of the BKs. But it's close.

JohnA said:
To be honest I don't really care

Maybe Bacchus knew that the mystery of their Strat pickups would rank right up there with the Freemasons & the JFK assassination :lol:

Even tho' I previously documented some physical/visual differences in the Strat type pickups in some Bacchus guitars, and have done it once again in this thread, I still have not used a meter on either type so, I have no idea which type has what output.

In a previous thread, I voiced that I prefer the flat pole examples from the earlier Vintage Series BST-64V models over the beveled pole examples in the later BST-62 examples.

I'm really glad that Marcus digs the tone from the flat top poles in his extremely early example, and non catalog BST-64V relic 8) and that he digs the pickups & the guitar so much he actually has made this his 'go to' Strat.
I think that says a lot about the earlier Bacchus Strat style pickups, which are the ones I prefer.

Having said all of that I do mainly agree with the above statement from JohnA, and yes, we can agree on something :D :lol:

.......... and after all, I thought this was a Bacchus Les Paul thread :p .............

Yes, mij we do agree now and again :wink:

As usual we've gone off-topic, My '57 factory relic is my go to Strat, and also has flat pole pickups, but the bevelled pole ones I've had sounded the same to me, it's odd that you express a preference for one over the other.

Bottom line is if you pick up a bacchus vintage seties, Strat, Tele, LP or SG it'll be a very well made, great sounding guitar :D

Latest posts

Back