Tokai Tele of unknown pedigree

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leftytokai

Reaction score
I'm still trying to ID my tokai tele. Should I take the neck plate off? Is there anything I should do prior to removing it, like reduce the string tension? What should I expect to find there? The neck plate has a number on it 22252 and that's all.

I'd appreciate a response

If you're planning to take the neck plate off, it might be wise to take off all tension from the strings. If you don't, the strings might/will pull the neck from the pocket.

I don't know what you're planning to achieve by simply removing the neck plate. AFAIK, there's nothing under there. There might be a date written in the neck pocket and/or on the neck heel, though.

The answers are in the forum. Try the FAQs in the Annoucements section.

For Fender copies you have to use the headstock and logo chart on this page:
http://www.tokairegistry.com/tokai-info/tokai-fender.html

Ned

The headstock looks closest to the mid 80's ATE as does the Tokai decal.
The serial number on the neckplate seems to be in conflict however. There is no "breezy sound" decal also. Is there a more definitive marker somewhere else?

Thanks for the help

The serial number on the neck plate tells you what year/model Fender is being copied. Still convinced it also tells you when Tokai made the guitar just haven't figured it out yet.

Thanks Ned,

I've taken about 8 digital shots of this thing and will post them to you if it will help. I think it's a non-factory decal on the headstock or even a fake neck plate. But I have to admit, the thing looks like its pretty old. The neck is like butter.

Latest posts

Back