Upgrading pots and capacitors on LS50 Reborn Old

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neilbsg

Reaction score
Hi, could anyone give me some info about upgrading the pots in my LS50 Reborn Old. I find the original ones muddy the sound and loose high end frequency when rolling off the volume. I am going for the 0.022 orange drop capacitiors and want a set of 500K pots that will go straight in without any drilling or messing about. Will I need short/long shatf (any idea of size 20mm??)

Thanks for that, the Alpha short shafts it will be.........Hopefully they`ll improve the roll off a bit! :)

Hi again, sorry to be a pain but.......the only Alpha pots I can find that I believe to be the correct ones are the 18mm medium shaft Alpha`s from axes R us... Are these the correct ones??

neilbsg said:
Yes, linear without question......

Log for me every time! Are you sure you want linear? The info about which pots to buy on the Axesrus site is incorrect BTW

18mm will be fine

God dam it.....now i`m just confused....... :-?

What is going to be best for cleaning up my volume without loosing the signal from the amp too much?

logaritmic pots and 50's wiring. I have it like that in my reborn ls50 and works fantastic.

Thanks Diodibuh......

I`ve already ordered .o2 sprague capacitors and vintage wiring and have the wiring diagram for 59 spec.....

Have you used Alpha Pots?

Have you noticed a big difference from the original spec?

I used CTS pots (I need to drill holes a little bit) and PIO NOS caps. I also changed pickups and this is my best Les Paul ;)
yes, big big change. Works fantastic with one channel amps, you drive the amp, roll off the volume and have great clean sound.
As JohnA said - the best option ;)

Most people I know use logarithmic for volume and linear for tone.
It's also worth looking into the value of the caps you'r gonna use. 0.022 is brighter than 0.033 for instance. So if you have an overly bright guitar, your choice could be different from the standard 0.022 for LPs. Most people I know use 0.015 for neck and 0.022 for bridge. I know a lot of people.. :D
To my ears there's also an audible difference between paper in oil (bumble bee/vitamin q/luxe/russian militairy) vs polyester film (mustard/orange drop) caps.
The first type retains a lot more high frequency sparkle when the tone is turned down. Also with the knobs on 10 there's a difference to be heard; more midrange warmth.
I don't think one is better than the other, it's just to let you know what you should consider before trying & buying.

Latest posts

Back