Good guitar repair shops London

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thechadz03

Reaction score
Hi there,

Can anyone recommend me a good guitar shop / luthier around south west London who charges reasonable rates for setting up guitars etc?

I have been to Charlie Chandlers Guitar Experience and Hillsound Music and although being very good, they are pretty expensive. I know there is another place called Chandlers Guitars but they are expensive too I hear (though apparently also very good!).

You can PM me any recommendations if you prefer to.

Thanks a lot for any help!

I know a good guitar tech in Edmonton, N18, but I guess he's too far away for you?

http://mphguitars.co.uk/

Mike

Well I'm afraid that I can only recommend Charlie Chandlers Guitar Experience, as I have had work done on four of my guitars there BUT as you say they were damned expensive - and then some! Basically they are able to charge top end rates as they work on a lot of name musician's guitars (I remember that there were flight cases stamped "Franz Fedinand" when I last visited their shop).

A semi-pro guitarist mate heartily recommends the work of Tom Anfield in Putney at:

The Guitar Tree Luthiery
3a Lacy Road
London
SW15 1NH

Telephone No.: 020 8780 1000

I would be very interested to see if anyone in any of the shops in denmark street gets recomended on this thread!
strange with so many guitarshops in one area that no one's name is shouted from the roof tops, I too have had work done at charlie chandlers but agree it's well expensive!!!

Tompski said:
I would be very interested to see if anyone in any of the shops in denmark street gets recomended on this thread!
strange with so many guitarshops in one area that no one's name is shouted from the roof tops, I too have had work done at charlie chandlers but agree it's well expensive!!!

The last time I checked, Tim Marten was working upstairs in the building that used to be Andys (is it still Andys?), & he knows what he's doing. He used to have a small shop in Hornsey, N8, right by the police station.

But anyone paying Central London rents is going to have to charge more than someone like Malcolm (link above) who doesn't have the same overheads to cover.

Rockers do the set-up work for Regent Sounds, & I wasn't blown away by the work they did on the Tele I bought from them.

stratman323 said:
Is it still Andys?

Andy's went bust, but? From a rather hazy memory of being there last year, I think it's now Music Ground, or Angel. Great guitar shop, in terms of stock, but I was never particularly impressed by the work they (Andy's) did on my acoustic ? and that was done in what I would guess was their heyday.

stratman323 said:
Tompski said:

The last time I checked, Tim Marten was working upstairs in the building that used to be Andys (is it still Andys?), & he knows what he's doing. He used to have a small shop in Hornsey, N8, right by the police station.

But anyone paying Central London rents is going to have to charge more than someone like Malcolm (link above) who doesn't have the same overheads to cover.

Rockers do the set-up work for Regent Sounds, & I wasn't blown away by the work they did on the Tele I bought from them.

Yes, Alan Edge (ex-guitar repairer, now concentrating on his more profitable underfloor heating business!!), also recommended Tim Marten. Am I right in thinking that Tim used to be a certain James ("Jimmy") Patrick Page's guitar tech of choice? Tim also runs a spray shop (other repairers subcontract work to him) and did a great job on my ES-130!

Tompski said:
HHHmmmmm

I have heard Tims name mentioned before maybe I'll try him out.

It's easier to get to Edmonton from East London than it is to Denmark Street, & will cost less too.

:wink:

Mole Man said:
Am I right in thinking that Tim used to be a certain James ("Jimmy") Patrick Page's guitar tech of choice? Tim also runs a spray shop (other repairers subcontract work to him) and did a great job on my ES-130!

Don't know, it must be 20 years now since I got Tim to rout my MIJ Tele for Strat neck & middle pickups.

stratman323 said:
Mole Man said:
Am I right in thinking that Tim used to be a certain James ("Jimmy") Patrick Page's guitar tech of choice? Tim also runs a spray shop (other repairers subcontract work to him) and did a great job on my ES-130!

Don't know, it must be 20 years now since I got Tim to rout my MIJ Tele for Strat neck & middle pickups.

Yes, I'm now absolutely sure that I once saw an advert in the classifieds section of a UK guitar mag, Guitarist, thats stated Tim's pedigree. The one thing that put me off booking a guitar in with Tim is that it's not exactly unknown for thieves to break into the Denmark Street guitar stores!! Music Ground (situated just down the road on the same side) once told me that they had a break in and suffered a loss of ?3,000 worth of boutique pedals...

Latest posts

Back