1983 80VF tokai...help id what model

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doppleganger

Reaction score
seller claims this one has a solid mapletop, in my research for models with solid flametops, the ls150 and ls200 seems to fit the bill in 83

a scarce info i got but here's a rundown
1. serial is 3xxxxxx
2. fret edge bindings
3. circuit board
4.is it 1 pc neck?
5. 1 pc back?
6.what color is this?
7.what model could it be?
8. update, seller says pups are tokai paf 57 and cavity has a 80VF mark
MIJ definitely

and here goes the pics:

P3279654.jpg

P3279655.jpg

P4029796.jpg

P4049855.jpg

P4029788.jpg

P4029797.jpg

P3279659.jpg

i look forward for any input! TIA!

Fret edge binding says 80 or above. If the p/ups are the original - should be able to tell from the solder on the connector board in the cavity - the 57 PAF's pretty well guarantee that it is an LS-80.

I'd be a little bit skeptical of a solid top claim. It can be really, really difficult to tell on the Tokais. I suppose it is possible that Tokai used a solid, flamed top on a 1983 LS-80. But, I wouldn't pay a solid top price without pretty conclusive proof.

I'm sure there will be some others with more knowlege and experience along in a bit..

btw.. It's probably better not to post duplicate requests in multiple sections..

Mick51 said:
Fret edge binding says 80 or above. If the p/ups are the original - should be able to tell from the solder on the connector board in the cavity - the 57 PAF's pretty well guarantee that it is an LS-80.

I'd be a little bit skeptical of a solid top claim. It can be really, really difficult to tell on the Tokais. I suppose it is possible that Tokai used a solid, flamed top on a 1983 LS-80. But, I wouldn't pay a solid top price without pretty conclusive proof.

I'm sure there will be some others with more knowlege and experience along in a bit..

btw.. It's probably better not to post duplicate requests in multiple sections..

tnx buddy, i have removed my post in the other forums now, it's just now that i saw that a dedicated pre 85 forum exists, my bad.

i've heard and read stories on it being a solid top, m yet to check it out today, will update everyone on it.

@jacco

yeah, strange serial # spacing i noticed too. anyone can clear this one up? the faded "love rock" is common, my buddy's have one too

doppleganger said:
the faded "love rock" is common, my buddy's have one too

Is it faded? :eek: It looks like the top of the finish has been removed with some sort of circular sanding tool?

:-?

Mike

I had a similar thought and posted it in the other thread about this guitar; it doesn't look like normal wear..

tnx for the replies guys

i made a pass on it. the actual guitar doesn't do justice to the pictures. here are some points that made me say no:

1. looks like a fake, serial could've been other guitar's since i checked the logo and headstock, looks like it was altered and a tokai faceplate was installed instead. a new paint job on the headstock gives me suspicions on this as the logo doesn't look legit at all

2. with a fresh paint comes the hidden defect, i found out that there was a repair, headstock has been broken, a pattern of glued repair is a bit obvious. seller claims its part of the wood grain, but wtf, he sure seems thought he can scam me lolz!

3. overall condish is like 2/10, i never bothered checking the cavities and pickups after i saw it. could need a major repair and more money to make it sound better.

4. my take, i'd say it's not legit, but if i were wrong, i'd be glad not to pay 600usd for it. the flames are dull and veneer in my opinion, the seller knows how to use a SLR camera did the trick for the photos i guess.

i was just glad i didn't bite! :D

yeah, this is a guitar that gives a feeling that something's wrong with it without having real hard evidence.
I am surprised that the real experts around here haven't helped you with it. maybe it's that difficult..

I couldn't be certain about all the other things you mentioned unless i saw it in the flesh but i would bet my balls it is a veneer and also i have never seen a serial number like that ever.....steer clear of that one..

Mick

Latest posts

Back