Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What is this?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Vintage (Older than 1985)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JVsearch
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stratman323 wrote:
What's with the pics on that link? Apparently there is a 1943 Strat....

http://www.ksvintage.com/jimshine/index.cgi?g=36&p=183

WTF?

No, they're all 60s stamps, but the files are not named or labelled in the most useful manner.
Stratmann
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again,

today I recognized two more hints on my strange Strat.

1. The tremolo cover on the back of the guitar has a sticker "Chandler Industries, San Francisco, Made in U.S.A." with no holes for cthe strings. Just plain. Looks like two ply. Actually it is 3 ply but the inner side seems to be shrinked. So it looks 2 ply from the side.

2. It looks like it had a second string tree at the headstock and somebody closed the hole. You can see it on the picture.

Whatever this will say to you.
redstringuitar
Sus4add11

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing that I can add is that the extra hole between the tops of the mid and neck pickup routes points to the body having had a '62 type pick guard fitted at some time...maybe originally?
Stratmann
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know. But I am pretty sure that it is a Tokai body. The neck I am not sure about. It is not a Fender but I don't know what neck shape it should be if it is a Tokai. It is differnt from all the other Tokai's I have. It is a C-type not a C-D type like the Springys and Goldies.
Rossi
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check this site out,its all you need to know about vintage Fenders,i new i had seen nail holes in the body on this site ( see pics )its a minefield of information

http://home.provide.net/~cfh/fender.html
JVsearch
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that's how they painted them.
But the OP's Strat doesn't have these type of nail holes, and the holes in the neck pocket have a sort of countersunk thing going on that's seen on Tokais.
Stratmann
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I have some more informations from the seller. He bought it himself from a guy from switzerland who sold it as a Tokai, which I believe it really is. This guy replaced the logo and applied the stamp to make it look like a Fender. Later the pickups were changed to DiMarzios and than to Lindy Fralins.

This is really a good guitar. It just needs a fretjob. I did my best on it, but it is not much left to work on. So I will give it to a pro luthier to make it perfect. Maybe I will replace the pickups with a set of Kloppmann pickups which I allready have. It probably could become my dream guitar.

I am very glad that I got into Tokai's. They bring the real vintage feeling for just a litlle money. I sold everything original fender brand guitars and bought 3 times as much Tokais back. That was a good swap, I would say. I am pretty sure that these guitars will be quite valuable in a few years. But that's not what I am really after. I am searching for THE guitar. That's why I always buy and sell. I keep the good one and sell the rest and so on. Now with my Tokais it is hard to say which one has to go next, because they are all good. It looks that I keep them all.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Vintage (Older than 1985) All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: