Protecting a guitar on a flight

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tompski

Reaction score
Ok,
I have a gig in another country(in the French Alps) in two weeks and although it would seem I am well equipped to protect my lovely guitar I still wanted to pick peoples brains:

I have thought about unbolting the neck but the neck still goes over the cabin dimensions for hand luggage and it's a pain.
But I do own a Hiscox hard case which are meant to be the best, now as far as I can work out the only way it can get damaged is if there is any movement what so ever inside the case, so if the lovely baggage handlers are violently throwing the guitar around the shock of an impact can still transfer to the neck of the guitar, so I propose to use either clothes or maybe a little bubble wrap to make sure there is zero movement.

I would like to hear from anyone with stories regarding their experiences putting guitars in the hold of comercial flights in a proper hard case like mine, and before any of you suggest taking the guitar in the cabin Swissair have told me I would have to buy another ticket for it and as I am not Bono that is not about to happen!

Thanks guys

Tom

Pack it in a good case and it should be fine, I've found that regardless of airline policies if you turn up on the day and ask nicely they will normally allow you to take it on the filight as hand-luggage.

I took a guitar on a flight only on one occasion, and that was before 9/11 :-?

the workers at the ticket counter allowed me to take it on to the plane :)

the captain asked the stewardess to keep it in the galley area, and the guitar was just fine :D

airlines didn't charge for more than one 'take on' bag then 8) ..............

JohnA said:
Pack it in a good case and it should be fine, I've found that regardless of airline policies if you turn up on the day and ask nicely they will normally allow you to take it on the filight as hand-luggage.

I'm not sure some of you may be aware of Hiscox cases, I'm sure the cases you are all mentioning are brilliant, But check out this video on the link below, having just watched it I am pretty confident tha my guitar is going to ok!

Thanks to everyone that put their input in.

http://www.hiscoxcases.com/products_...m#construction

cheers

Tom
The gig we are playing is part of music festival in Chamonix, it came through someone who had been to some of our gigs and got in contact to see if we wanted to come out and play at the ball thats on the saturday, we have to pay our own flights but we're getting accomidation,ski passes, booze and transport from geneva to the resort. So we all thought it was well worth dipping in our own pockets to rise to the challenge! Very excited!

oh for those that wanted to know we are a fairly modern funk band mixed with a bit of rock and all sorts of dance stuff: http://www.druw.co.uk/

Tompski said:
oh for those that wanted to know we are a fairly modern funk band mixed with a bit of rock and all sorts of dance stuff: http://www.druw.co.uk/

Brilliant band!!! Cool as y' like :wink:

Latest posts

Back