Tokai Super Edition, is this MIJ?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toybitz

Reaction score
tokaisuperedition.jpg

tokaisuperedition2.jpg

tokaisuperedition-1.jpg

Can someone help me with the specs?

Serial number is LXXXXX, I can't make of the digits, the picture is blurred. The serial number is stamped at the back of the neck plate.

Basswood?

I want to buy this, and the seller has these pictures.

Any info will be highly appreciated.

Blessings.
Bitoy

Yes, it's mij, but looks like a pretty low-end model, probably an ST40, not worth a lot of money, but probably quite a nice player!

Thanks for the prompt reply JohnA.

I'm buying it today for US$135.

I've always wanted a double fat strat.

Maybe this is basswood? The sellerr can't tell.

Been reading that some super editions are nitro finished, but since this is a low end model, it might as well be poly or something.

I think that model is SD40 and the body might be alder. The Super edition page no. 8 seems to be missing from the 1985-86 Tokai Electric Catalogue in the registry (the one with SRV on the cover). Perhaps another member could provide a scan of that page.

That is a nice score for the money. :)

toybitz said:
Thanks for the prompt reply JohnA.

I'm buying it today for US$135.

$135, wouldn't get me a tank of petrol(gas) here in the UK never mind a guitar, that's a steal :wink:

Thanks guys.

I'll post more pictures of it within the week..lets see what's inside.

SD40? I'll do research on that. I like to have it alder rather than basswood, so that it could cover a wider range of tones. But if its basswood, its still okay. Its a non-pointy super strat anyways.

JohnA said:
$135, wouldn't get me a tank of petrol(gas) here in the UK never mind a guitar, that's a steal :wink:

aint that the truth !!!!

love the colour,looks nice and at that money i`d buy it

she's gorgeous!

looking at the tokai catalogue, all super edition strats have pickguards..hmm..where does this SD40 come in?

plus this particular piece reminds me of Satriani's white JS ibanez..2 hum and that toggle switch..

i'm tempted to install a floating trem!

Don't even attempt to install a floating trem. It'll cost as much as the guitar did in the 1st place, leave the guitar in a non-original state with extra holes and most floating trems are wider string spacing, with a standard Strat board you stand a good chance of your top E slipping off the side of the board.

Just enjoy it as it is, it's a lovely guitar! Not as lovely as mine though :wink:

JohnA said:
Don't even attempt to install a floating trem. It'll cost as much as the guitar did in the 1st place, leave the guitar in a non-original state with extra holes and most floating trems are wider string spacing, with a standard Strat board you stand a good chance of your top E slipping off the side of the board.

Just enjoy it as it is, it's a lovely guitar! Not as lovely as mine though :wink:

and you`ll end up with something like this if you wanted to put her back original http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v492/nealdbluesman/guitars/twins2.jpg

DrillerKiller said:
and you`ll end up with something like this if you wanted to put her back original http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v492/nealdbluesman/guitars/twins2.jpg

Ouch!!

Don't know what kind of music you're looking to play on it, but Joe Satriani and Paul Gilbert make do with Basswood guitars.

Sweet looking guitar by the way, I'd be all over it for that price if it was local to me.

that's right, basswood takes distortion excellently that's why its the main wood ibanez uses in their guitars.

i play church music. 8 )

Latest posts

Back