Burny RSA-? Flametop

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peacock72

Reaction score
I have a 80s Burny RSA-? on the way. Top and back are mildly flamed. Any idea what model numbers came with flame Maple? Seller thought it was a '85 RSA-100, but the split "flower" inlay and truss rod cover with "wings" indicates '87 or later to me. Bought for a very nice price in my opinion because of a minor headstock crack repair. Can't wait until it arrives! Gawking at the photos makes my heart race! :lol: Here are a couple pics.
burnyx022.jpg

burnyx014.jpg

burnyx010.jpg
[/img]

Thanks gents! Crack seems to go from the bottom of the bottom left tuner to the side of the headstock. Back of the headstock looks clean. Seller says it was a very well done repair. Got it for $725 shipped and Paypaled. Pic of the headstock crack-
burnyx012.jpg

No, seller says the crack is pretty minor. Although it was repaired prior to his ownership.

Where did you find that?!?!? I have been looking for months for an RSA....

Congrats BTW :wink:

Thanks! Found it on The Gear Page. Hopefully it will be here soon! Seller has a few youtube vids of the guitar. Sounds really nice.

Guitar arrived. Damage is worse than I thought...crack wraps around the back of the headstock. Headstock wasn't broken off and repair seems stable.
Sounds and plays beautifully though! Pickups sound fantastic! Haven't pulled them to see what they are yet, but they sound much more open and articulate than those that were in my long gone late 80s Burny Les Paul. Sound fairly low gain. More PAF than T-Top, even though I'm going to assume they're VH4s or similar. Very woody, almost acoustic tone, even with overdrive/distortion.
Even the electronics don't seem that bad. No "on/off" syndrome and no extreme treble roll off with the volume pot. Only complaint is the tone pots don't roll off enough highs for my taste. Not a biggie, since I don't use them often.
Guitar is light, light, light! My only other ES-335-esque guitar was a MIK Epi Riviera that was a anchor, so I always assumed these guitars were naturally heavy. Fret edge binding too! :p
All in all very happy. Not the deal of the century and maybe even a touch high considering the damage, but eh...I dig a natural relic.

Back