Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Burny RSA-? Flametop

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Burny/ Fernandes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
peacock72
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:45 am    Post subject: Burny RSA-? Flametop Reply with quote

I have a 80s Burny RSA-? on the way. Top and back are mildly flamed. Any idea what model numbers came with flame Maple? Seller thought it was a '85 RSA-100, but the split "flower" inlay and truss rod cover with "wings" indicates '87 or later to me. Bought for a very nice price in my opinion because of a minor headstock crack repair. Can't wait until it arrives! Gawking at the photos makes my heart race! Here are a couple pics.

[/img]
Mono
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. That is a really special guitar.... Congrats!
marcusnieman
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely.... nice catch.

Any pics of that "minor" headstock crack?
peacock72
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks gents! Crack seems to go from the bottom of the bottom left tuner to the side of the headstock. Back of the headstock looks clean. Seller says it was a very well done repair. Got it for $725 shipped and Paypaled. Pic of the headstock crack-
marcusnieman
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not too bad.... all the way thru?
peacock72
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, seller says the crack is pretty minor. Although it was repaired prior to his ownership.
3pupLPC
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where did you find that?!?!? I have been looking for months for an RSA....

Congrats BTW
peacock72
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! Found it on The Gear Page. Hopefully it will be here soon! Seller has a few youtube vids of the guitar. Sounds really nice.
peacock72
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guitar arrived. Damage is worse than I thought...crack wraps around the back of the headstock. Headstock wasn't broken off and repair seems stable.
Sounds and plays beautifully though! Pickups sound fantastic! Haven't pulled them to see what they are yet, but they sound much more open and articulate than those that were in my long gone late 80s Burny Les Paul. Sound fairly low gain. More PAF than T-Top, even though I'm going to assume they're VH4s or similar. Very woody, almost acoustic tone, even with overdrive/distortion.
Even the electronics don't seem that bad. No "on/off" syndrome and no extreme treble roll off with the volume pot. Only complaint is the tone pots don't roll off enough highs for my taste. Not a biggie, since I don't use them often.
Guitar is light, light, light! My only other ES-335-esque guitar was a MIK Epi Riviera that was a anchor, so I always assumed these guitars were naturally heavy. Fret edge binding too!
All in all very happy. Not the deal of the century and maybe even a touch high considering the damage, but eh...I dig a natural relic.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Burny/ Fernandes All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: