Aight gents and gals

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Koubayashi

Reaction score
Hats of to the Post office!

P1050532.jpg

Indeed. But not half as much as the discovery it lead to.
There is a plywood layer over the mahogany.

Koubayashi said:
Indeed. But not half as much as the discovery it lead to.
There is a plywood layer over the mahogany.

You're saying there is a plywood layer between the neck and the fretboard? Can you give us an end-on shot into the break?

There is an app 4mm thick plywood veneer between the head and the plastic plate. So they don't have to route for the binding.
And the mahogany is of the lowest quality. If it is real mahogany that is.
Will have a better look at it today.

No more Burny Customs for me.

I wouldn't write off Burny Customs too quick... If that was the general construction method then I would bet that all MIJ LP Customs did the same (unless anyone has seen other broken neck/HS to verify otherwise).

Personally, I know I am not getting a real '57 BB, or even 100% specs, but for the price, quality, and acceptable (to me) accuracy, I'll take all the Burny's I can manage without triggering divorce proceedings... And that only to preserve GAS funds from going to a lawyer;)

I am not gonna break any other to find out :D

Well, its reasonably good guitars, even better for the money (Japanese prices that is) but this turned me off.

Plywood belongs in Dukes and Sigmas :D

Koubayashi said:
There is an app 4mm thick plywood veneer between the head and the plastic plate.

"between the head and the plastic plate"?

I for one am not following what you are attempting to convey here :-?

would it be possible for you to be a bit more specific?

AFA Burny RLC models are concerned, IMO they are a great 'bang for the buck' & I have owned a few from different eras of production.
As with any guitar, they can be a bit fragile & things may not always work out so well when they get beat up ...............

Koubayashi said:
I am not gonna break any other to find out :D

Well, its reasonably good guitars, even better for the money (Japanese prices that is) but this turned me off.

Plywood belongs in Dukes and Sigmas :D

plywood is just another term for what is used on most Greco EGF tops & on some Tokai LS & Burny RLG tops ....... single ply :wink: :wink:

Koubayashi said:
I will take better pics but here you go for now.

OK, I see what you're looking at; Gibson does basically the same thing :wink:

I knew a luthier (Harry Chappell) back in the 1970s that had a shop in downtown Shreveport, LA.
Harry had several of the LPC headstock overlays in one of his shop's displays.
The LPC overlays that Harry had then were thicker than the one pictured below.

Standard
LPStdover.jpg

ES/SG
ESover.jpg

Custom
LPCover.jpg

MIJvintage said:
Koubayashi said:
I will take better pics but here you go for now.

OK, I see what you're looking at; Gibson does basically the same thing :wink:

I have seen a crashed -99 Gib Custom and it was mahogany all the way up to the plastic.
But it is an interesting question that has to be looked into.

Do I dare to ask the guys at the LP-forum or they will just ignore anything that doesn't lift Gibson above the sky? :D (get the same vibes here though, ha ha).

Latest posts

Back