• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Tokai Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Tokai LS150 Flame top possibly for sale

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thejonester

Reaction score
Hi all

I may have to sell my recently aquired Uk edition flame top ls150 :cry:

it's mint, pickup covers removed (but can be put back on), rewired 50's style, gold/silver refector knobs and peter green modification done to neck pick up to give the out of phase sound in the middle position.

oh and all the wiring has been replaced with sheilded cloth Gibson style type.

All the mods can be returned to stock if required before sale.

A westfield hard case would also be included.

All usual ls150 specs

Beatuful top! better in person fully 3d and changes with every move of the guitar... last of all it sounds awesome!

Any Ideas how much I'd get secondhand?

heres a couple of pics before the mods

ls150006.jpg

ls150009.jpg

If people are interested I can post newer pics

By UK edition, I take it you mean it has the UK "dimple" headstock?

If so, that and the mods will bring the price down a bit (even if the mods are an improvement). I would say in the current market something around ?850?

It's a good looking guitar - some more pics would be great if you can post some! :D

here goes,

The covers are back on, you can see then neck pickup is the wrong way round, this is cosmetic, the pickup is magnetically out of phase with the bridge too like the Green/Moore les paul. I can change this before the sale if needs be. New knobs and pickguard fitted

Enjoy!

I may be willing to take a cheaper guitar in part ex... no rubbish though!

078.jpg

084.jpg

080.jpg

081.jpg

087.jpg

085.jpg

:D :D :D :D :D

marcusnieman said:
Nice looking guitar.... those radio knobs look great on it!

They're not radio knobs! They are Gibson style "reflector" knobs as used on the 1960 'Bursts. :)

They do look good.

Looking at the control cavity I notice you have the tone caps connected to the outside wiper on the volume pots, is this intentional, as 50's style wiring has the tone caps connected to the center wiper on the volume control? Nice guitar though and should be a quick seller!

Like this:

Schematic2.jpg

P2150180.jpg

thejonester said:

very unusual top on this one; not the 'normal' & 'typical' Tokai rift sawn/quarter sawn :evil: looking top, which IMO are boring ............

This top has some very nice flat sawn/plain sawn features 8) ....... visually, one of the most appealing Tokai flame tops I have seen :wink:

Hi

just to confirm the wiring is 50's as in the digram above... not like my cavity picture. Thanks for pointing that out I used a wrong (older) photo. The 50's wiring is an inprovement as the volume knobs work as they should.

To answer a few pm's and posts the weight is around the 8lb mark but my scales are not vert accurate so I can't give you the exact weight sorry... it feels about right for a les paul when a/b 'ed with 2 historics my friend has.

I'm looking for ?950 as the guitar is in excellent condition and sounds and plays fantastic.... plus it looks amazing!!!

The hard case was extra (?50)

I may be willing to ship overseas (as a few of you have asked in pm's).

I really don't want to sell this guitar so I'm not bothered if it doesn't sell and consequently I'm not going to let it go for nothing. I've seen 2 ls1000's sell for ?950 and ?1050 so I know im in the right ball park plus you never see ls150's up for sale really

Thanks again everyone for the nice comments and pm's :D

Easy Crossing said:
Looking at the control cavity I notice you have the tone caps connected to the outside wiper on the volume pots, is this intentional, as 50's style wiring has the tone caps connected to the center wiper on the volume control? Nice guitar though and should be a quick seller!

Thanks for pointing that out, i'd not noticed i'd used the wrong pic.

Out of interest how does your Ls150 compare to you Gibson classic? I sold my classic before buying this Tokai and never got the chance to a/b them

Thanks

JVsearch said:
marcusnieman said:
JVsearch said:
marcusnieman said:
Nice looking guitar.... those radio knobs look great on it!

They're not radio knobs! They are Gibson style "reflector" knobs as used on the 1960 'Bursts. :)

They do look good.

I know :wink:

Oh... :oops:

LOL..... I've always called those radio knobs instead of reflectors - my bad. They look kind of like the knobs on old transistor radios from the same era:

http://ny-image3.etsy.com/il_430xN.97849423.jpg

MIJvintage said:
thejonester said:

very unusual top on this one; not the 'normal' & 'typical' Tokai rift sawn/quarter sawn :evil: looking top, which IMO are boring ............

This top has some very nice flat sawn/plain sawn features 8) ....... visually, one of the most appealing Tokai flame tops I have seen :wink:

And it's only a AAA. :)

What a beautiful looking guitar...and what a great new model by Tokai.

So now we have an LS160 R8 plaintop...and an LS160 R9 Flametop.

G-d help the competition. :)

It is a beautiful looking guitar! It actually plays better than it looks!

No offers yet! :-?

If you can't sell a guitar like this on a tokai forum where can you sell it?

(ebay) :evil: I hear you cry!

To be honest, if it doesn't sell on here in the next couple of days I'm just going to keep it...

I'm open to swaps trades I'm after a US jazzmaster :wink: or a tele :wink:

Thanks fellas

Latest posts

Back