TOKAI AMPS

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stereohigh

Reaction score
Anybody played one ? what are they like, would love a nice tweed fender style one, there is one on ebay, but its not a tube amp :cry:

They are amazingly good! Great cleans, great reverb and surprisingly giggably loud! The overdrive channel, engaged by pulling the volume knob is awful though :D

JohnA said:
They are amazingly good! Great cleans, great reverb and surprisingly giggably loud! The overdrive channel, engaged by pulling the volume knob is awful though :D

Blimey !

I've had one of these little amps for years and never knew about the pull switch on the master volume.

Cheers John

Regards

Chris

chrisheyes said:
I've had one of these little amps for years and never knew about the pull switch on the master volume.

Chris

You'll pull it out once, and then wish you'd never bothered!! :wink:

I say it's a must have. Even though it's solid state, still very good tone in a small package. It's even got reverb and it looks so cute. Makes the matching set with your Springy Sound!

Cali Girl said:
I say it's a must have. Even though it's solid state, still very good tone in a small package. It's even got reverb and it looks so cute. Makes the matching set with your Springy Sound!

Back when Fender Japan was making amps back in the 80's, they had a nice little solid state amp - the Squire 15. I've heard good things about the little Tokai champ....

Hi Folks it was me that bought it !!!!

it arrived this morning ....it's a beautiful little thing ...i've been using it with my 1983 red TOKAI springy strat ....they look so good together....

thanks and no thanks for the tip off about the pull switch ..... you're right it dosen't seem to do anything at all !!.....

sounds kind of how i expected ...decent Fendery Tweedy tone ....reverb sounds a bit more boingy than i would've liked

but i've got a couple of questions for you .....

why the high and low inputs ??? am i right in thinking high equals humbuckers low equals single coil ?

why does reverb only work in high input ??

does the BLOCK logo on the badge mean that it was made in 1983 like BLOCK "TOKAI' guitars??

thanks in advance for any answers .....

as usual with small combos the speaker is usually the weakest link ....so i've splashed out and ordered a Jensen P8R Alnico speaker to see what it really can do .....

i'll keep you posted .....Twang crash boooinngg !!! :lol:

Evening all
Now I am ready to get shot down here but I DO know there are some very small wattage Tokai amps out there. How do I know ? I have seen them personally at the factoey where they were made (Matamp). The amps had been (I belive) made for the UK importer ?? and had the Tokai logo on them
I am not sure of the wattage (around 2 or 3 watts) if memory serves me right and the circuit was housed in a tweed covered box with an 8" speaker.
As a fairly new member here, if this is common knowledge please ignore me. If its not it's at leastsomething to keep your eyes open for
As and add on Matamp have released an almost identical product to some of there selected retailers recently at around ?300 a pop,so something else to watch out for........ :D

Jockai, congratulations on your new amp, cute aren't they!

The pull -switch on the volume knob should definitely do something, IMO the distortion isn't too good, but it very noticeable. Also, I'm pretty sure the reverb should work on both channels, Don't actually have mine any more, sold it to forum member Chipps, he might be able to confirm.

Will be interesting to hear if the Jensen P8R Alnico makes a difference, I actually think the stock speaker is pretty good, I have another in bits that I'm repairing, I was thinking about re-housing it in a bigger cab with a 12" speaker.

i put the Jensen speaker in today

i know they're quite expensive for an 8'' speaker but it does make a big difference ...lots more body and bass ....

i really like this little amp it's great for jazzy bluesey sounds

i've been using it with my Tokai semi acoustic and a boss reverb pedal and the sound is quite sublime .....

could probably do with a service though

got me interested to see what they looked like

Tokai%20Amp.jpg

Jockai said:
i put the Jensen speaker in today

i know they're quite expensive for an 8'' speaker but it does make a big difference ...lots more body and bass ....

i really like this little amp it's great for jazzy bluesey sounds

i've been using it with my Tokai semi acoustic and a boss reverb pedal and the sound is quite sublime .....

could probably do with a service though

Thanks for the tip-off about the Jensen, might have to gove one a try! As for using a Boss pedal, whats wrong with the Spring reverb? I think it's quite a nice one!

....it's been great to play a 1983 ...BLOCK LOGO Springy thru a

BLOCK LOGO TA35 Tweed amp......they've come home .....all the way from

Japan to Glasgow ....... :D

Back