LS90Q or LS150

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xentrix

Reaction score
Hi all!

This is my first post. First of all I?d like to thank the forum, I have learned great things reading.

I am an extremely newbie in the world of guitars. In fact, I can only play C Major scale and looking at the fretboard... (I try to do my best but I have two kids as well :) ) I own a Yamaha Pacifica 112v OVS and one day a friend of mine borrowed me a Gibson LP Studio. This was the moment where I clearly saw that Les Paul models are the ones that fit me better.

Reading, reading and more reading all sort of forums, I discovered Tokai and everyone speaking only good things. And the choice is made, I will buy Tokai instead of Gibson. As I live in Spain, I will buy at Richtone.

Now my question: should I go for the LS90Q or it is a better choice (thinking as an investment) to go for the LS150?

Second hand is not an option :)

Thanks in advance and please help me to decide :)

BR

Although the LS90 is great, if you can afford it go for the 150 or you will wish you had done at a ;ater date! The LS150 is everything you could want out of a Les Paul, you will never need to buy another guitar again :D

JohnA said:
Although the LS90 is great, if you can afford it go for the 150 or you will wish you had done at a ;ater date! The LS150 is everything you could want out of a Les Paul, you will never need to buy another guitar again :D

I agree

One day you'll be wondering if a solid maple top, one piece mahogany back and nitro finish really makes a difference and you'll end up buying a LS150 anyways. So I'd go for a LS90Q. In a few years you will have two Tokais!

Wozob said:
One day you'll be wondering if a solid maple top, one piece mahogany back and nitro finish really makes a difference and you'll end up buying a LS150 anyways. So I'd go for a LS90Q. In a few years you will have two Tokais!

I like your logic :D

I'll venture to disagree. An LS90Q is more than adequate for a beginner and is a great guitar in it's own right. With the money that you'll save, you can get a decent strat copy to go with it.

LS150 if you are gonna buy only one guitar and stick with it for the rest of your life. Otherwise, buy whatever you feel like (if quilt top is your thing, 90Q is a good guitar) and buy another one later, and another one, and one more... :lol:
I just got my new Love Rock a few days ago and I already want more.

youami said:
I'll venture to disagree. An LS90Q is more than adequate for a beginner and is a great guitar in it's own right. With the money that you'll save, you can get a decent strat copy to go with it.

Good point....makes sense.

Think about it this way: at this point you don't know how serious you're going to be with guitar playing. Will you still be playing in 5 years time?

Now I'd say, go with an LS92 plain-top. It's the cheapest Japanese Tokai and looks just like the LS150. Then what?

You play for two or three years and say, "I love the guitar. And I love Tokai."

Now you sell the LS92 for 70% of what you paid and buy the LS150. Now you're sure you're going to use it forever.

Of course, if you don't care about the money. buy the LS150. :D

Also: well done choosing the Pacifica. A PAC112 may be cheap, but it's a great guitar.

I think it depends on your other gear as well. I wouldn't go for the LS150 if you play a relatively cheap solid state amp. Maybe the LS90 and a nice little tube amp (like a Fender Pro Junior) fits in the budget? That would be a nice combination IMO.

Thanks for all the quick responses!!

Now I clearly see that in my situation a LS150 is like learning to drive with a Ferrari. Of course it is possible but I will miss many important aspects.

So I will go for the LS90 after Easter holidays :)

And with the saved money I should go to disneyland with my family.

Many thanks again for your helpful comments

Yeah, get yourself a LS90 and a decent amp. As has been mentioned, the Pacifica is very good beginner's guitar, so those two guitars should last you for a while.

xentrix, I have a mate who regularly gigs with a Korean Love Rock. He has a "real" Gibson LP, but it's the Korean Tokai he takes out to gigs night after night, & all he's changed is the bridge pickup!

An LS90 should be considerably better than a Korean LS48, so it should be more than adequate until you're gigging several nights a week.

:wink:

Big +1 on the amp.

A decent amp is almost more important than the guitar!
Lots of good handmade small amps out there these days, the cheaper ones may be short on features like reverb, but they should have better tone than a Blues Junior.

For the amp I will go to a local store when I get the Tokai and test several. I know that this is the best way and also it is the best way to choose a good guitar. But it is difficult to find Tokai in Spain, and when you do, they are expensive (over 200-250 pounds more than in UK) and with the difference I get the amp :)

xentrix said:
For the amp I will go to a local store when I get the Tokai and test several. I know that this is the best way and also it is the best way to choose a good guitar. But it is difficult to find Tokai in Spain, and when you do, they are expensive (over 200-250 pounds more than in UK) and with the difference I get the amp :)

Where in Spain are you? Why not get a budget flight to the UK, and shop here, Ryanair do flights fo some Spanish cities for ?5 Saving ?200 on the guitar would almost pay for an amp!

One tip, unless you live somewhere where you can crank up the volume, a small modeling amp is IMO better for practice than a low watt valve amp, especially if you like dirty sounds. I have several great valve amps and practice at home with a Roland micro-cube

I live in Madrid. I will buy the guitar at richtone, saving the money comparing with buying in Spain. Even with delivery costs.

Now I use a vox amplug with headsets. The new amp is something I'll take with calm, but within this year :)

Regarding going to UK, it is easier for me to buy online and pay delivery costs than arrange the trip...you know...with the kids... :wink:

Back