newbie needs help!

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pipedreams

Reaction score
hey everyone, im new to this forum but have been lurking for a while. i need some help with this orville im gassing after http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110506701287&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

im wondering why it seems to have a center piece going through the top? is this normal? ive not seen it on any other orvilles. im also looking at this burny http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Burny-Super-Grade-LP-Stnd-Tobacco-SB-Guitar-MIJ-80s_W0QQitemZ320504244173QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV?hash=item4a9f8aa7cd
please tell me what you think :D

Looks to me like terada threw it together with whatever scraps of wood they had left. Three piece top, looks to me like a 4 piece body. It could be three though. Heel cap.

That might not make it a bad guitar though. I have a "by Gibson" terada made LP that has a 2 piece top (normal) with a 3 piece body and a neck heel cap and it's a great guitar. Very light and resonant with great sustain.

I don't know. Personally I think that's pretty expensive for a standard Orville. I wouldn't buy it.

As for the Burny, I don't know as much about them but by the looks of it, it seems along the same level..nicer top.

thanks!! thats great info, really apreciated :D , the burnys is nice but a bit beat up it doesnt have quite a ding in it and the burst is kinda dark, decisions, decisions :-?

comparing the two, the Burny is hands down the winner IMO .............

............. the Orville has a higher price, is heavier, and that 3 piece top is butt ugly :lol: ...............

I think the Burny is better too.
But Chingo has quite a high turnover of LPs... so if you are not 100% on that particular Burny, just wait it out and something will turn up.

Just bought an LP from Chingo, would recommend him. Excellent seller.

I tell you what pipe...I've been kind of sitting on the fence about selling mine. So if you want you can shoot me a PM if you're interested and I'll see if that pushes me over the edge. If so we can go over details about it, pics etc....and see where it leads. (it's a tobacco burst by the way)

WOW! ,There is no way that terada k orville is worth over ?500,I sold one last year 4.6 kg, 3-piece top,4-piece body,neck heel and a partridge in a pear tree for ?255.00, i might as well given it away compared to this one :-?
It was the first MIJ les paul that i brought ,I thought it was a good guitar till i got a OBG REISSUE as my second MIJ, now i think the k-orville was a POS.
But that is terada built k-orvilles for you,a lottery!!HIT OR MISS!
I would definately get the burny if my choice ...or find a fujugen made orville ,they are superb guitars,If in the market for an orville i would choose a fujigen made orville every time over a terada made one.. :wink:

MOJO HOBO

The K Orvilles vary a lot. Some of them are really G serial Orville by Gibsons that didn't quite make the grade for some reason and some are made from whatever pieces of wood Terada had spare at the factory.

The Terada made G serial Wine Red Orville by Gibsons can have 3 piece tops and some of the lower end Terada made G serial Orville by Gibsons have a separate neck heel.

My experience is that the number of pieces of wood doesn't matter that much to the tone but it's more about what the actual wood is like.

Plenty of 3 piece top players around including Slash. I have a 3 piece top Greco EG-500 Fujigen made Super Real and it's a great guitar IMO.

Some players take looks into account but I don't, all I take into account is if I can get a tone I'm happy with out of it.

The real differences between say my 3 piece top Greco EG-500 Fujigen made Super Real and a higher model Super Real are pretty small and are basically based on looks and the number of wood pieces because the actual wood used on the EG-500 and the higher models is about the same with the fingerboard wood being the biggest difference.

mojo hobo said:
If in the market for an orville i would choose a fujigen made orville every time over a terada made one.. :wink:

MOJO HOBO

I've had FujiGen made Les Pauls by Greco, Orville, Epiphone, & History (Shimamura) & for the most part they are very nice guitars; very hard to go wrong IMO ..............

never had a Terada made Orville

japanstrat said:
Some players take looks into account but I don't, all I take into account is if I can get a tone I'm happy with out of it.

I take it you're not into flame tops?

I have one flame top & I wouldn't consider it to be sonically/tonally my best LP ............

Latest posts

Back