Pickup change?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Diamond said:
Guitarists and their GAS is borderline insanity, they'll change anything to attempt to improve what can only be improved by practise, technique, skill, and of course, soul.

Can you provide a link to where I can buy these things on-line?

JohnA said:
Diamond said:
Guitarists and their GAS is borderline insanity, they'll change anything to attempt to improve what can only be improved by practise, technique, skill, and of course, soul.

Can you provide a link to where I can buy these things on-line?

Money can't buy everything. :wink:

http://www.scq.ubc.ca/wp-content/dna.gif

It's a scary thought, one day you might be able to get your DNA programmed with talent and soul!

We would all still bicker about which type of talent programming was best :wink:

Mk II's are just fine. Natural and organic sounding pickups, especially bridge pickup has a great sound. Wouldn't change 'em to mid-level/priced aftermarkets.

And if you asked me about coil splitting...well you didn't but I'm still answering - coil splitting w/ an LP-style guitar isn't a good idea.
1) coil splitting doesn't make your Paul sound like a strat/tele - it makes your Paul sound like a Paul without balls
2) IMO, coil splitting also requires pretty hot pickups, especially in the bridge position - average 10k 'bucker is only 5k splitted. And vintage style LP w/ over 15k pickup, well, not my cup of tea... ;-)

Just my couple of (euro)cents...

I have an UK LS150. It has push pull tone pots that actually don't do anything cause they're not connected. If I want to use them I need to change the pickups to four conductor ones. So I'm wondering, does Tokai expect me to change the pickups? If not, why do they provide push pull tone pots? According to the specs my Tokai has Gotoh Custom PAF's, don't know if they're different than the MKII's, but I really like them. Does anybody know if the pickups are different and why Tokai uses push pull pots on this particular model?
Thanks in advance!

Wozob said:
I have an UK LS150. It has push pull tone pots that actually don't do anything cause they're not connected. If I want to use them I need to change the pickups to four conductor ones. So I'm wondering, does Tokai expect me to change the pickups? If not, why do they provide push pull tone pots? According to the specs my Tokai has Gotoh Custom PAF's, don't know if they're different than the MKII's, but I really like them. Does anybody know if the pickups are different and why Tokai uses push pull pots on this particular model?
Thanks in advance!

I'd also love to know if
A) the mk2's are different to the gotoh customs and

B) why do they only appear on the UK LS150 and not on the LS200 etc?

I liked my mk2's but I'm not overly convinced these gotohs are as good (this may be down to me not getting on with my current amp tho!)

Duncan have developed these to eleviate the need for additional switches.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/new-products/seymour_duncan_9/

triple_shot.jpg

Yes I saw the Triple Shot rings when they came out, & they do look like a great technical solution. I do wonder how easy to use they are - there's a possibility that the little switch could be very fiddly. Also, last time I checked, they only came in black, which isn't ideal.

But they do seem like the ideal companions for the P-Rails (not least because they are both equally ugly!). I wonder how they work in practice?

They've got them in cream as well on the website now.

You got to give them credit for coming up with this - very smart I think.
It can do series/parallel as well as turning off a coil as well, pretty cool, even though it is clearly designed to set up a tone and use it throughout an entire song rather than on the fly tone switching within a song.

To be fair most people would be happy to use the system in the way it's intended to be used anyway.

I just changed my stock pups for Lollar Imperials standard wind, and I have to say they are vastly superior in every way, the stock were good but the tone and feel coming out of this guitar now is just sublime, in my humble opinion an upgrade well worth every penny!

Excuse me but didn't we have a four page discussion on this subject here a while ago?

Forgotten/don't know/can't see how to post a link so suggest doing a search on the Other section of this fine forum under:

"Boutique PAF Clones"

Lots of good contributions in the thread above.

Just noticed that this thread was originally from yonks ago, but I'll pretend not to notice the grave-dig of others.

stratman323 said:
Well that's fine if you know where to get a 3 way rotary switch. But anyway that wouldn't help if I fitted one to the neck position of my Tele - nowhere to put the 3 way switch.

I just used a five-way switch in my Tele with a P-Rails at the neck. The P-Rails in humbucker mode is wired in parallel, not series, like most humbuckers, but Seymour Duncan says this is the way to get more of a "PAF sound" anyway, and I like it.

Rustyslide said:
The P-Rails in humbucker mode is wired in parallel, not series, like most humbuckers, but Seymour Duncan says this is the way to get more of a "PAF sound" anyway, and I like it.

Wiring a hummer in parallel would give you more of a single coil sound than a PAF sound.

It's a common mod on humbucker equipped guitars, more complicated than a coil split but it gives virtually the same sound with the advantage of greatly reduced hum.

Not sure how it all works on a p-rail though...

Back