LS-65 Love Rock

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Anyone ever heard of a flametop-LS-65??
Check out my pic in th Neds pictures it's the yellow sunburst and the Orangeburst sunburst-who ever is putting out info that a ( OLD ) Love Rock can be dated using the 1st number must be high as I bought my Yellow Flamed Love Rock New in '85 and the serial number is 9203XXX- It's gettin rediculas --

Actually, any Love Rock made after 1992 can be dated by the first 2 digits of the serial number per the Tokai factory.

Ned

Ned, When did Tokai stop making Love Rocks and when did they start back up?? You said after '92 they started the serial number with the year??? If I remember correctly the Love Rocks started showing back up in '99 which were Korean models??? RIGHT???This is really getting scarry NED??!!I have not been convinced yet as to your dating method-Maybe I'd buy that TOKAI used the first two digits of the year on their other line of guitars but not Love Rocks and Strats/Teles-Just don't add up NED???

First of all they never stopped making Love Rocks, they just didn't export them to North America between 198x and 1999. Love Rocks between that time were purchased over seas and brought into the US.

Ned

I could swollow this Ned-if you gave some type of proof???
Your intentions were and are noble I'm sure-BUT I have yet to see ANYTHING that proves your claims Ned-show me the money Ned and I'd be glad to register about 30 Love Rocks(98 % of the ser#'s start with 92 and the other 2% start with #90)and 40 GoldStar's and Springy's.....Ned watchagonnado??? Up to this point as I have been watchin your site I have been meerly amused-buy the speculation on dating Tokai's from the 80's !!! But I really think your crossing the line saying after '92 the first 2 numbers date the AXE-I'm from Missouri Ned-show me???

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: mackelchea on 2002-02-26 09:22 ]</font>

Mac,my 2001 Love Rock LS70 VF got 01xxxxx serial #.I bought from Japan on august 2001 directly.That,s sure.

About Ned,I agree with you he is noble and I don,t think he is gonna get rich with this site.If you have something to tell, let us learn from you,please.We are speculating about dating as there is no information from the factory.You will agree with me how good for the money Tokais were and are,as some Fernandes too.

On 2002-02-26 09:18, mackelchea wrote:
I could swollow this Ned-if you gave some type of proof???
Your intentions were and are noble I'm sure-BUT I have yet to see ANYTHING that proves your claims Ned-show me the money Ned and I'd be glad to register about 30 Love Rocks(98 % of the ser#'s start with 92 and the other 2% start with #90)and 40 GoldStar's and Springy's.....Ned watchagonnado??? Up to this point as I have been watchin your site I have been meerly amused-buy the speculation on dating Tokai's from the 80's !!! But I really think your crossing the line saying after '92 the first 2 numbers date the AXE-I'm from Missouri Ned-show me???

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: mackelchea on 2002-02-26 09:22 ]</font>
You spell bad.So you've got 70 Tokai's and 98% have the same two digits in the beginning of the SIN.
When were these guitars purchased and were they purchased new? Where's your back up on all of this? Can we visit your web site and see all these guitars? There's plenty of documentation here by folks whose only intention is to broaden the knowledge base about Tokai Guitars.If you have 70 Tokai's why not share your knowledge with us instead of playing "Q"?

Hi mackelchea
No-one is asking you to swallow anything.
We don't need to prove anything to you. As there are no records from the 80's available, we can only summise from the information given by other Tokai owners and people like ME... I worked for the Tokai Importer for Australia during the 80's... that's where I'm coming from.
To be frank, if your Love Rock has a 92xxxxx SIN, it was made in '92. This was confirmed by the TOKAI FACTORY - you know - the guys who made the guitar and put the ser# on it. With the exception of 1989 models (89xxxxx), all the earlier models started with year number followed by 0 :- EG : 1984=401xxxx, 1979=900xxxx . By the way, Love Rocks were not made every single year during the 80's, some were missed due to low sales and large production runs.
Can you follow the picture?
Tokai Strats and Teles used SIN# after the Fender year models they were replicating ; the only way to get a CLOSE indication is from the headstock shape and logo.
Ned has been doing a great job to help people who own Tokai guitars to learn more from people around the world who have owned and loved them also but it is obvious to me you don't appreciate his efforts.
Register your 30 Love Rocks, put your money where your mouth is. Just make sure your info is accurate, OK.

******* !

Peter, it's great to have you here! I can verify the 80's Love Rock serial.no since I have a 1984 Love Rock bought new in July that year. The serial is 4017xxx, and it came directly from the factory.

What do you think about the serial on my MAT strat, it's 402xxxx. The guitar is a 1985 model but it's probably a prototype since it differs from the models in the 1985 catalog. This causes me to beleive it was manufactured in '84. The differences are the pickup configuration (H/S/H) which was not available and the fact that the neck is made of wood when it's supposed to be FRP (fiberglass reinforced plastic) like the body. The H/S/H configuration is only shown in the catalog on a prototype. My MAT is the chrome (copper) version with gold hardware only available as H/H, S/S/S or H/S/S. It's definitely a 1985 model since they were changed in '86. I've owned another prototype as well that was sent to the Swedish importer for evaluation. It was a TST55-H.

Michael

Hi javelin70
good to hear from you.
My theory is the 3rd number shows if the production run was early or late in the year. i theorise that ser# 402xxxx were actually sold in 1985 as i never saw a 501xxxx but there are 502xxxx that came to Oz in 1986. I have not finished my analysis but the info so far seems to support this.
Your MAT certainly sounds like a prototype.
The H/S/H combo was not really offered for commercial sale and the wood neck is also a rarity as MAT's were offered with Fibertech or Graphtech necks. All in all, you have a signifigant model there. Congrats.

On a different note, the TLS-65 was made with a flame top (veneer) for the 1st time in 1989. it went for a few years.

regards
Peter

Hate to bump this thread but I believe I know what has gotten Mackelchea so hot under the collar.I did a feedback search of him on e-bay and he did purchase a Love Rock SIN 920346? on e-bay recently for $800 US,(not new in the 80's)He buys and sells so perhaps he feels he was taken if the guitar was a 92.
Maybe the person who put on the SIN mistakenly mixed up the 2nd and 3rd numbers.

Back