Metallic Pink Goldstar - but it's confusing me

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like it had 'DELUXE' tuners fitted originally. The ferrules look like Tokai and I think the Kluson posts are slightly smaller diameter.

It looks like a steel trem block and that should indicate a 50 at least as I think that is the original Tokai bridge. Look from the bottom strap button with the guitar horizontal. Can you see a light 'crease' parallel to the body top (in the upturned part of the plate that the intonation screws fit through)? The saddles are definitely aftermarket because I think they are wider than the originals that probably were FINAL PROSPEC (the first parts to corrode on Goldies).

My pink Goldie has similar flat bottom pickup routs without those divots that are on the earlier guitars.

It looks to me like somebody gave it a thorough makeover at some point, nut, tuners, saddles, electrics and beefier pickups. How does it strum by the way?

mirrorboy said:
Looks like it had 'DELUXE' tuners fitted originally. The ferrules look like Tokai and I think the Kluson posts are slightly smaller diameter.

It looks like a steel trem block and that should indicate a 50 at least as I think that is the original Tokai bridge. Look from the bottom strap button with the guitar horizontal. Can you see a light 'crease' parallel to the body top (in the upturned part of the plate that the intonation screws fit through)? The saddles are definitely aftermarket because I think they are wider than the originals that probably were FINAL PROSPEC (the first parts to corrode on Goldies).

My pink Goldie has similar flat bottom pickup routs without those divots that are on the earlier guitars.

It looks to me like somebody gave it a thorough makeover at some point, nut, tuners, saddles, electrics and beefier pickups. How does it strum by the way?

Why do you think the tuners have been replaced Tom? I can't see any evidence of that.

I've looked for the crease, though I never noticed it before, & you're right, the pink one has it, same as the other Goldies. Fenders don't have the crease, & neither do my 2 Springys, but an ESP bridge has it & so does a Bacchus. I wonder why the Springys don't have it - apart from that it seems to be an MIJ feature. :eek:

It plays nicely, typical Goldie really, though I think it will need a light fret dress to get the action how I like it. I'll reserve judgement on the pickups till I've had more chance to try them.

As for the mystery circles/divots in the pickup routs, here's something to mess up the theory that they changed around 1984/5. My SS60 doesn't have them - & it's dated 1980. So, work that one out!

I prefer the theory that it's all original but specs just changed in later years, but I think Tom's theory is more likely to be true - it had a makeover & rusty or allegedly sub-standard bits were changed. That explains the saddles but not the tuners. Hmmm. :-?

Has anyone got a spare set of FINAL PROSPEC saddles they don't want. Rusty is cool. :D

mojo hobo said:
I Think you collectoin of golies has more colours than a pack of skittles! :lol:

It's an interesting colour - it looks good with the allegedly Sonic Blue one, & it makes Flamingo Orange look a bit less bright than usual!

IMG_0291.jpg

IMG_0296.jpg

stratman323 said:
Why do you think the tuners have been replaced Tom? I can't see any evidence of that.

DELUXE tuners have three 'tangs' on the cover that slot through the backplate, two next to the post as opposed to a single tang on the KLUSON tuners. I can see the two indentations from the original DELUXE tuner's tangs above and below the new indentation from the KLUSON tuner. Maybe one or more of the original tuners were damaged in some way.

Tom

Thanks Tom. Not bad - I havent been up for long & I've learned something new today already!

:lol:

Cheers Mike :)

Remember the Tokai convention videos? They've been on youtube for a year and today I just got the first comment on my pink Goldie from a 17 year-old youtube user...
Awesome ! I like that colour and sound...Nice :)

stratman323 said:
I suppose they might have just sourced a new, cheaper, supplier of scratchplates?

One other thought - would this pink Goldie have had ceramic pickups & cheap pots? If so, that would explain why an earlier owner would replace everything under the scratchplate, which is what I assume has happened.

The '62 scratchplate I've got seems to be similar quality to the '64, just no brass plate :(

If your Pink goldie was originally fitted with 'Deluxe' tuners would that not suggest that it was at least a ST50 (TST50 or whatever)? Did the ST45 have the steel trem block fitted as standard? I think it was likely to have had grey backed pickups stamped IIV and just perhaps that person liked them as much as you do? :wink: Also the pot & switch wiring on my scratchplate seemed to be original as far as I could tell

What were the trem blocks on the Springy's like as I am sure that I've seem some less than complimentary comments on a thread somewhere, are there pics of a Springy trem block different to that found in a Goldie?

njnall said:
What were the trem blocks on the Springy's like as I am sure that I've seem some less than complimentary comments on a thread somewhere, are there pics of a Springy trem block different to that found in a Goldie?

Here's my 1980 ST80

DSCF0008-4.jpg

I think it was 1981 or '82 when they changed to the steel trem block along with the FINAL PROSPEC saddles. Not that I can hear any difference whether the trem block is steel or not.

Mike,

Thanks for posting that photo, that block looks fairly solid.

On a separate matter could you please load up or pm your pot. wiring modification, the volume pot on my Goldie seems to have died so whilst the soldering iron is being used I thought I would try your modification.
Thanks
Nick

This one?

1-Stratmastertone.jpg

You can just switch pots - use the bottom tone pot for volume & stick the dead one on the bottom as it's redundant anyway. Remember to try a .022 cap instead of the usual .047. :wink: It's actually easier to wire a Strat like this than the standard way. Which is this way, for reference.

5-Stratstandardwiring.jpg

The easiest way to get a tone control to work for the bridge pickup is this, so it could be better if you like having 2 tone controls.

4-tone_f_bp.jpg

The jumper wire gets added to all my Strats, the tone control on the bridge pickup is essential IMO

Mike,

Thanks very much, Strat with master tone is what I was after. (I have already obtained a .22 cap to try it out)
Cheers. :D
Nick

You're welcome.

If you're feeling adventurous, this is the only extra mod that I have ever found to be much use, though I stick to master tone, & I use the push/pull on the tone pot. One advantage of this is that unless you pull up the tone pot, everything works as standard. It's nice, but personally I rarely use the extra 2 settings, so I can live without the mod.

2-switchforbridgepickup.jpg

Hi Mike
don't know if anyone noticed this but the body routing is for a SilverStar - not a Goldstar ? ? ? - unless it started out as an AST-40 - but then the headstock is wrong.
The serial number would suggest AST-40 or TST-70.

Metallic Pink was only offered to a few markets - Japan and USA for sure, but I have seen no other reference to the colour anywhere else.

Body weight may be due to Poplar or Basswood rather than Alder.(post 86)
Scratchplate does seem aftermarket.
lots of anomolies with this one . . .
regards
Peter mac

Hi Peter

What makes the routing SilverStar, rather than Goldstar ? I thought they were all the same??

JohnA said:
Hi Peter

What makes the routing SilverStar, rather than Goldstar ? I thought they were all the same??

I would also like to know the answer to this one - what is it that differentiates a Silver Star rout? That's a new theory to me.

As for the scratchplate, if it's an aftermarket replacement, where are the holes for the earlier one?

I agree it's unusual, so what's your theory on it's origins?

Hi guys

the routing differed on a few models over the first 6 years.
The first Springys did not have the cavity shoulder next to the pickup selector - hence 8 screws
Later Springys and Goldstars had the shoulder - hence 8 or 11 screws.
Each pickup cavity had two small drill holes for the length of the pickup screws.
SilverStars had the shoulder but no drill holes.
The scratchplate I'm working on

regards
Peter Mac[/img]

Hi Peter

I think my pearl pink Goldie is from about 1985 (custom colour is listed in the 1985 catalogue for TST-55). the pickup routing doesn't have the drill holes for pickup screw clearance. Just a quick question, do you know the significance of the 'dot' instead of the 'equals' in the cavity code as shown below?

thanks

screenshot.jpg

Peter Mac said:
Hi guys

the routing differed on a few models over the first 6 years.
The first Springys did not have the cavity shoulder next to the pickup selector - hence 8 screws
Later Springys and Goldstars had the shoulder - hence 8 or 11 screws.
Each pickup cavity had two small drill holes for the length of the pickup screws.
SilverStars had the shoulder but no drill holes.
The scratchplate I'm working on

regards
Peter Mac[/img]

Let me see if I understand you correctly Peter. You're saying that the Springys had these drill holes

129_2929-1.jpg

but Silver Stars didn't, is that right?

IMG_2104.jpg

Earlier you said:

Hi Mike
don't know if anyone noticed this but the body routing is for a SilverStar - not a Goldstar ? ? ?

So you are suggesting that all Goldstars should have that hole in the bottom of the pickups cavity - is that right?

Back