Springy with narrow neckplate

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tokaigeek

Reaction score
Does anyone have any additional information about the strats with narrow neckplates. I've spotted a spaghetti logo and maple necked one with the said plate that doesn't have a serial number. It's getting me very curious and I want to know more about these models since it isn't mentioned in the registry.

tg-

any chance you could get a picture of the narrow neck plate? might help get everyone on the same page.

I'll check my MIK strat when I get home to see if there is a # on the neck plate. My MIK has a number on the headstock.

Ned

:eek: I saw one of these on E bay a few months ago everything else looked right but the size of the plate! 8) TG

I'm going to borrow a digicam and try to take pictures of it later. :D

The guitar is a nicely aged white with a chunky maple neck, spaghetti logo and vintage tuners. everything seems legit from the front including the tokai-stamped saddles and button stringtree. the neckplate size and the lacking of a serial number on it is the only thing throwing me off. There's also a 'reborn old tokai electric guitars' sticker on the plate.

Thanks for the help. I'll post pics as soon as I can.

got the pictures but i misplaced the usb cable. i'll buy one later. we found a serial number stamped on the heel end of the neck. a ghost impression has been transfered on the neck cavity of the body.

serial # 8000963.

one of the tuners has also been replaced. the others are vintage 'tokai'-stamped ones.

i hope you guys can provide me with a little more info. the pictures will follow soon. thanks!

Interesting if it is a serial number on neck but &/or in neck cavity; I don?t recall seeing that before. I have vague recollections of guys mentioning narrow neck plates in the past, & I think they were supposed to be on early models, it?s far too vague for me to say it with much conviction, so take it with a pinch of salt for now. But an S/N beginning 800xxxx seems like it may be 1978, ie amongst very first Tokai electrics ? yep, pics will be interesting, thanks for posting :-? .

Ian.

According to Peter Mac's latest discovery it would be a 1978 and the 963rd Tokai made.

Ned

can anyone refer me to a good photo hosting page? my old ones don't want to cooperate. :eek:

t4.jpg

i hope this helps! i'll try to get additional pics if you need anything specific.

i found another tokai springy sound. a previous owner tried scratching off the decal and only the 7 in 7okai was left. saddles and nut have been replaced with graphites and the trem block and plate appear to be cheap replacements too. it's wine red, has deluxe-stamped tuners, a 't' type string tree and a skunk striped maple neck.

backplate size is standard with '11639' engraved.

can anyone give me additional info on it? one of the tuners is busted. should i replace the nut and bridge with vintage spec parts?

Thanks for the photo of neck-heel, well ? 7 digit S/N could be correct for 1978 Springy, but I can?t tell any more without seeing the rest of the guitar.

As far as the second guitar is concerned (sounds like you?re buying?) ? a lot of guys used to scratch the Tokai decals off (not any more!), but you can buy a replacement for about $20. According to the Registry ?5 digit number on neck plate just means it?s an ST50 or 60 and copy of US Strat?s made from 1956-60.

Re. the nut & saddles ? obvious answer I know, but - if you just want the guitar as a ?player? (as opposed to collectable), then they?re fine as long as they work OK. However, the cheap/light trem-block may mean the guitar goes out of tune easily if your trying Jeff Beck type dive-bombs.

7okai Springys are getting quite expensive now, although there are still plenty around (eg eBay) and bargains do turn up from time to time. So you can get one without any issues if you you?re prepared to wait or pay a bit more (always cheaper after Christmas lol). 2cents :-? .

Ian.

i jumped in the water and bought both strats. :D these are great guitars and they've already inspired me to play more than i have for a long time. i've never been good at comparing guitars tonewise but i've handled enough to say that these 'feel' more right than most fenders and other copies that i've played. there's something extra that's hard to pinpoint and is more of an aura...

anyway, sorry about the crazy talk. :oops: and thank you for your time and info! i still want to learn more about them so i'll post more pics soon. now that they're mine i can freely get closer looks. :wink:

Not sure if anyone's replying to the post but I have an early 1978 tokai st60 serial 8000946 and it fits the same description as above exactly!! ;-)

So all good :lol: been trying to find another Tokai with a similar serial to compare notes..

hi, i just purchased a ST50 springy off ebay. then i thought id check to see if the serial checks out, it's 0013363.

aparently its a 1980 model. :D

it looks the goods, though im new to tokais and just read someones post that the serial no's on these were 5 didgit, mines 7 didgit, any help?

here's a link to the beast (8 shots) and thanks for looking!

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200027671432&indexURL=0&photoDisplayType=2#ebayphotohosting

Back