Tokai Goldtop

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ducblancpale

Reaction score
Keen on getting myself a Tokai Goldtop and would like to know if the colour tone is close to that of a Gibson Goldtop...

If you had the Tokai GT and the Gibson GT examined by NASA under advanced scientific conditions using the Hubble telescope I'm pretty sure the colours are not identical.

Is it important whether the colours are identical or not...or is it more important whether the Tokai GT is beautiful or not? :)

;)

The color between all Goldtops by Gibson probably wont be the same either. The Tokai Goldtops i've seen looked great, and they didn't look green-ish like some other brands do.

ducblancpale said:
Keen on getting myself a Tokai Goldtop and would like to know if the colour tone is close to that of a Gibson Goldtop...

Where do you live? I have one available. PM me if interested

So long as it looks like a proper shade of gold and not yellowish like what I have seen on some guitars :) Have never seen a Tokai GT in person before and just wanna be sure before I order 1 online.

ducblancpale said:
So long as it looks like a proper shade of gold and not yellowish like what I have seen on some guitars :) Have never seen a Tokai GT in person before and just wanna be sure before I order 1 online.

Yeah, I agree yellow is no good. It's got to be that deep rich gold, and not too much glittery stuff either. There have been some yellowish ones made by various makers in the past, but the newer stuff looks pretty good from what I've seen. I have a Bacchus GT and it's gold as hell! (No decent pics of it at the moment).

It is hard to tell just from photos, and the catalogue pix of the Tokai GTs are not all that great - too small. The big photos are all of burst tops.

At least if Marcus' GT is of interest to you, I'm sure he will furnish you with whatever specific photos you need to make a decision. :)

Hi, Here is a pic of my LS150 GT. Hope it can be of some help.
Tokai-ls150-GT.jpg

www.dukeamps.de

JVsearch said:
At least if Marcus' GT is of interest to you, I'm sure he will furnish you with whatever specific photos you need to make a decision. :)

Here are my goldtops.... the 56 model on the right is the one available (2003 LS 80). Pretty near mint.

CIMG2526.jpg

By itself (outdoor shot)

218.jpg

219.jpg

220.jpg

Yeah the deep glossy golden colour what I want :)

Marcus - Yours look great but sorry, I'm not looking for P90s

ducblancpale said:
Yeah the deep glossy golden colour what I want :)

Marcus - Yours look great but sorry, I'm not looking for P90s
So ner ner ner ner ner marcus :p

Tokai-ls150-GT.jpg

Hi, Thanks she sure is a nice guitar. Funny story, this is my first Les Paul guitar I have ever owned. I had always played a Strat & Tele, and was looking for a change. So I decided I wanted to try a Les Paul but didn?t want to fork out so much money for a Gibson. Before I bought this Guitar I hadn?t heard of Tokai it was just through Google I found this forum, and after I read a lot about Tokai Les Pauls I decided to buy a ls150 vf but found that the only place to buy one was from Japan but I didn?t want to take the chance that it would get broke in the post. So the only ls150 I could find was a Gold Top from TokaiGuitar.de after a day of thinking I bought this guitar, and can say I will not be letting her go. But I don?t think it will be my last one.
Thanks

www.dukeamps.de

Received my LS150 Gold Top a few days ago :) After playing and comparing it with my R8, I can say that the build quality is very good for the price paid and the playability is exceptional. The only thing I'm on the fence about is the stock pickups. On Bridge position, compared to the burstbucker on the R8, it sounds muddier but with richer harmonic overtones. On the Neck position, I don't like it at all...it sounds like it has a weak output. Anyone upgraded the stock pups?

ducblancpale said:
Received my LS150 Gold Top a few days ago :) After playing and comparing it with my R8, I can say that the build quality is very good for the price paid and the playability is exceptional. The only thing I'm on the fence about is the stock pickups. On Bridge position, compared to the burstbucker on the R8, it sounds muddier but with richer harmonic overtones. On the Neck position, I don't like it at all...it sounds like it has a weak output. Anyone upgraded the stock pups?

Have you checked your pickup and pole piece heights/adjustments?

A muddy pickup should normally be lowered, but then you can raise the pole pieces up on certain strings, say the D and G to give it more of a growl. The weak sounding neck pickup, dunno about that, unless it is too low?

But this is good stuff, direct comparison to the R8 is something that's been missing around here.

Back