what was that? ...............

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is a momose dude....NIIIIIICE.....

An ML1 is my dream LP. But at this point I'm not paying new prices. As my other thread noted somebody got one for 188000 yen off ishibashi. That's the cheapest I've seen one so far. I was hoping someone here bought it so I could get an opinion about the pickups and the rest. Is it yours?

They'll start popping up sooner or later...and most likely at a good discount. I'm really starting to think that newer MIJ high end guitars like used Seymour Duncans, Navigators, Van Zandts..are a better deal than old super reals and tokais.

soundcreation said:
An ML1 is my dream LP. But at this point I'm not paying new prices. As my other thread noted somebody got one for 188000 yen off ishibashi.
Was it this one (no, I'm not the one who posted this one):
http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=619354

Yeah that's the one. I think. Lucky guy. I bet I was pretty close to him....but no points for second...guess I have to keep waiting.

See I actually like the ML1 better than regular LPs. I LOOVE the headstock shape...so classy looking and too me more interesting then the regular gibson. And even more so the neck heel. That cut away looks so sexy...like your hand belongs there. I don't complain about upper fret access like some..I mean I have 2 les pauls and love them. But still if someone is going to make something like that and do it well...I would choose it any day over a regular one. I use to care about "gibson correct" stuff but not anymore.

There is a gorgeous MLS on yahoo right now that you'd probably like if you want original specs. 189 000 which is about the cheapest I've seen even the older ones.

http://www.rinkya.com/twview.pl?URL=http://page7.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/g76924436

OH..wait...that's the one you posted!..LOL,,,,buy it dude buy it!

Yeah, I like the "improvements" on the newer ML-1 as well.

AFAIK, earlier ones with the cloned headstock shape are MLS-1, and the new models are ML-1. The current specs state Honduran and Jacaranda woods, and they are made in relatively small numbers. I don't know whether the specs on the older ones are the same.

There's two of the new ML-1s on Yahoo at the moment, for about 260k Yen, which is about 100k discount, so that is a pretty good deal.

In the end I would take any Momose LP I could get! :lol:

MIJvintage said:
MMMMMMMMM, maple .................. reminds me just a bit of the top on member currypowder's LS-320 but it's not a Tokai .......................... but it does have a Jacaranda 'board .................. would really like to own that one :) ..........
MomoseMLStop.jpg

What dreams are made of. . . .

MIJvintage said:
here's another, in lemon drop; same seller ..................... :evil: .............

MLS-STDLD.jpg

Saw that, pretty nice, but I don't accept that it's a lemon drop finish, or if it is then it's not a very good one. There's not enough of that bright, almost luminescent yellow in it, although it could just be the lighting conditions?

Shame it's quite pricey for a foreign buyer. :cry:
The question for me is: Should a used Momose LP cost more than a used Navigator?

Well that's a good question.

Of course this opinion is only my own and is only based on emotions (and zero experience) but personally I'd say yes they are. I just suspect there is more hands on/smaller shop feel with a momose than there is with a Navigator. I mean if momose is a step up from Bacchus then the attention to detail has to be as good as it gets. I know navigators are obviously incredibly well made too. Both use top end materials. It just seems to me that momose's have that extra something special that a tiny shop like that can deliver. I suspect navigators are a tiny bit more of the ESP "factory" system. Just a guess.

Of course I could just be a sucker for Momose's marketing as well!

soundcreation said:
Well that's a good question.

Of course this opinion is only my own and is only based on emotions (and zero experience) but personally I'd say yes they are. I just suspect there is more hands on/smaller shop feel with a momose than there is with a Navigator. I mean if momose is a step up from Bacchus then the attention to detail has to be as good as it gets. I know navigators are obviously incredibly well made too. Both use top end materials. It just seems to me that momose's have that extra something special that a tiny shop like that can deliver. I suspect navigators are a tiny bit more of the ESP "factory" system. Just a guess.

Of course I could just be a sucker for Momose's marketing as well!

I think I agree with you. Doesn't Momose say that their models are all made under the supervision of Yasuo Momose the master luthier? If Momose guitars aren't any better than a Navigator from a performance perspective (probably not) they maybe have just a little extra on the ownership vibe! :lol:

Exactly. When you get up to that level with nearly any builder, there won't really be anything to tangible separating them in terms of quality. Only subjective things like neck shape, pickup selection..etc.

I guess for me, I like things that are a little more out of the ordinary. Which is the main reason why I like MIJ over Gibson....not that gibson (on their good days) can't make a great guitar. And within MIJ I like to look for things that westerners haven't freaked out over and are a little more rare. The benefit is two fold...first you tend to get better relative deals because westerners haven't over priced the market, and second you get something a little more rare.

Sweet...but I'm gonna hold out for a ML1.

Bet that thing doesn't break 200 though. Good chance for someone to get a top flight MIJ for much lower than normal.

Back