Almost 5 feet of SNOW

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3pupLPC

Reaction score
I know the DC/Virginia area got hit with their storm of the past century a couple of weeks ago which was an absolute freak happening... but I wasn't there :roll:
But I was HERE :wink:

We've had a good amount of snow here in western NJ this year, and this past Thursday we added a fresh 20" on the thick cover we had on the ground for a couple of months. But this was also our ski-weekend that we have had planned for 2 months, and MAN did I plan the weather right!

We went to Hunter Mtn in the NY Catskill Mtns, and Thursday/Friday they had 40" of new snow on top of the foot already on the ground. Almost 5' !When we made the grade climb to the base I couldnt believe how much snow there was. The store fronts on Main Street were literally blocked to the tops of their porches. I didn't have the camera out and ready then, but when we were leaving today, I snapped a few driving out, after the wind had already blown and packed things down some, but still.....

Best skiing I have had since Colorado 1990.

IMG_0414.jpg

IMG_0437.jpg
IMG_0434.jpg

My daughter snapped some nice shots through the windshield as we were making the descent back down...

IMG_0444.jpg

IMG_0438.jpg

IMG_0447.jpg

Being from a Nordic country I can say that I recognize the situation :D

I live in the very south of Sweden and we have had tonnes of snow this year which we normally don't.

I like the silence the snow brings.
Out in the forest its so silent and peaceful in the winter.

However, springtime is heading our way and its just wet everywhere.

Which leads to the trouble with the electricity prices :D
In the winter its cold so the demand is high which leads to high prices.
In the summer its too hot and dry whichs means less water in the rivers which in turn leads to less electricity produced and that equals higher prices.
In the spring the river are flooded with all the water from the melting snow which pushes the turbins in the plants which of course leads to higher prices.
When they hey are the circumstances such that the prices will drop :D

Koubayashi said:
I live in the very south of Sweden and we have had tonnes of snow this year which we normally don't.

I had no idea Tokyo had moved to Sweden. Did they get US approval for this rather drastic relocation?

:wink:

Mike

stratman323 said:
Koubayashi said:

I had no idea Tokyo had moved to Sweden. Did they get US approval for this rather drastic relocation?

:wink:

Mike

Me and the boss (my wife) commute :wink:
we have an apartment in Tokyo but right now we are based in Sweden for various reasons. Probably leaving good ol? Scandinavia within a year.
So no need to change the info in my avatar :wink:

Koubayashi said:
I like the silence the snow brings.
Out in the forest its so silent and peaceful in the winter.

I couldn't agree more.... Provided it is not, say around -10 degrees F !

marcusnieman said:
How's that global warming working for ya?

I am pretty sure that the global warming is a conspiracy to create an international carbon-di-oxid (or is it mono :D ) tax and steer more power to certain groups.

Coldest and snowiest winter for decades right now and no signs of the palmtrees and beaches I was hoping we would get here in Sweden!

And in Australia...
Here in Queensland we're suffering flooding in the Western Downs region.
Apparently we have a had a Tropical Low(Monsoon) decend on us ...the first time on record that it's ventured this far south.
We've had four days of non stop torrential rain.

leadguitar_323 said:
4 years worth Oze and its still raining, when it all stops we will have 5 feet of humidity, thick that is..... :D :eek:

Mick

Snow is better than rain!

But when the snow starts to melt away it gets a bit troublesome.

marcusnieman said:
stratman323 said:
Koubayashi said:
Snow is better than rain!

Really? I've never skidded on rain the way I have on black ice. :eek:

Black ice isn't the same as snow..... you can drive in snow, no one can drive on ice

Most people can't (including me) but this girl sure can!

http://www.break.com/usercontent/2009/5/driver-profile-lisa-ice-road-truckers-season-3-on-5-31-09-718453.html

I'm on the fence AFA the issue of 'global warming' is concerned BUT there is no debate that the planet has witnessed an increase in CO2, and other so called 'green house' gases over the last one hundred years

it is interesting to note that one 'global warming' scenario/theory end game, ends with a great potential for a new 'ice age' for certain regions of the planet :wink: .....................

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shutdown_of_thermohaline_circulation

http://www.cru.uea.ac.uk/cru/info/thc/

........ food for thought .............

MIJvintage said:
I'm on the fence AFA the issue of 'global warming' is concerned BUT there is no debate that the planet has witnessed an increase in CO2, and other so called 'green house' gases over the last one hundred years

it is interesting to note that one 'global warming' scenario/theory end game, ends with a great potential for a new 'ice age' for certain regions of the planet :wink: .....................

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shutdown_of_thermohaline_circulation

http://www.cru.uea.ac.uk/cru/info/thc/

........ food for thought .............

Well....Some people has taken advantage of the global warming hysteria. They have cashed in big time. Among those big cheeses you find Al Gore.
The emission trade is a multi billion dollar market...

There has also been talks about a global polution tax.
Most interesting is that research results has been faked and that the UN refused statistics from Russia (simply cause the Russian statistics show no signs of a global warming).
As usual its all about money :D

Its an embarrassment to be human :cry:

Back