Exceptionally Nice!

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Easy Crossing

Reaction score
This is really an eye catcher has alot of vintage look. Also, what is the the difference between an LS-160 and the HLS-160? Translator doesn't quite translate the specs of this guitar.

http://www.kurosawagakki.com/items/detail/66071.html

Easy Crossing said:
This is really an eye catcher has alot of vintage look. Also, what is the the difference between an LS-160 and the HLS-160? Translator doesn't quite translate the specs of this guitar.

..... most of the changes are noted in the translated description. Basically is a "Historic" version of the LS160 (more accurate period headstock, spacing between the pickups, etc):

Seriously, Marcus? I hadn't heard that. Very cool looking guitar.

Veneer top, right?

RyanC said:
Seriously, Marcus? I hadn't heard that. Very cool looking guitar.

Veneer top, right?

As I understand (and read in another post somewhere here on the forum), this series was a limited order batch by a dealer in Japan..... lot's of little tweaks, nice wood, etc.....

After doing some further research it appears the HLS160 has a veneer top (Bummer) for me, as I like an all solid maple top. Amazing how they went to extremes of making a period correct guitar then just at the threshold of holy grail territory they throw on the veneer, making it another close but no cigar effort. It's still built well and looks great though!

From a friend over at the other site...... here are the specs:

@ based on LS125F/135F/140F.

@ deep joint and lacquer finish.
@ vintage better neck joint angle..............3.8*
@ new vintage tone pickups.
@ better vintage shape headstock.
@ vintage correct distance between the pickups.
@ sycamore flame top & maple top & 1 piece african mahogany back.
@ madagascar rosewood fretboard.
@ vintage spec locations of the parts.
@ vintage style trussrod cover.
@ nylon nut and maple headstock veneer.
@ brown hard case.
@ "H" means maybe "historic"? the limited edition.
@ cherry burst, lemon burst, violin finish, tabacco?

And they come in five models:

http://www.hibikimusic.co.jp/tokai/tokai_index.html

Easy Crossing said:
After doing some further research it appears the HLS160 has a veneer top (Bummer) for me, as I like an all solid maple top. Amazing how they went to extremes of making a period correct guitar then just at the threshold of holy grail territory they throw on the veneer, making it another close but no cigar effort. It's still built well and looks great though!

The point is that you can have a flame or plain top for 160k Yen, but if you want flame at that price you have to accept a veneer. If you want a solid flame top you have to pay 260k Yen for the LS-260.

It makes sense to me because they have everything covered now at different prices. Flame is mainly about looks anyway, and maybe people that are concerned with looks don't mind that it's a veneer? I mean, nobody in the general population will know! :)

The "H" stands for Hibiki which is the shop that started the idea for Tokai to do some models that are closer to vintage spec and look.

ducblancpale said:
Is there any reason to stay away from a veneer top?

IMO not really, but there is a VERY remote chance of de-lamination of the veneer away from the maple cap. It would probably take exposure to extreme conditions to cause this to happen though.

It doesn't affect the tone of the guitar though.

Good to know that a veneer top doesn't affect the tone...the HLS 160 does look very good! The JP exchange rate now is a killer though and thats going to affect some of Tokai's sale to other parts of the world.

JVsearch said:
Easy Crossing said:

The point is that you can have a flame or plain top for 160k Yen, but if you want flame at that price you have to accept a veneer. If you want a solid flame top you have to pay 260k Yen for the LS-260.

It makes sense to me because they have everything covered now at different prices. Flame is mainly about looks anyway, and maybe people that are concerned with looks don't mind that it's a veneer? I mean, nobody in the general population will know! :)

The "H" stands for Hibiki which is the shop that started the idea for Tokai to do some models that are closer to vintage spec and look.

Actually to get all those new features of the HLS Models, (which are closer to vintage specs) with a solid flame top you'd have to get the HLS360 and there's a substantial increase in cost between the HLS160 (Y164,000) and HLS360 (Y378,000) to get a solid maple top. If they make an HLS160 Plain top I'll buy. As far as veneer having a tonal affect on a guitar (either good, bad or none) that's a subject for another thread.

Easy Crossing said:
JVsearch said:
Easy Crossing said:

Actually to get all those new features of the HLS Models, (which are closer to vintage specs) with a solid flame top you'd have to get the HLS360 and there's a substantial increase in cost between the HLS160 (Y164,000) and HLS360 (Y378,000) to get a solid maple top. If they make an HLS160 Plain top I'll buy. As far as veneer having a tonal affect on a guitar (either good, bad or none) that's a subject for another thread.

I was talking generally about the entire Tokai range:
LS-160 Plaintop, LS-260 Solid Flame Top models. These HLS models kind of provide something in between the other LS models, but I see your point, if you want the vintage specs of the HLS and no veneer then you got to pay the big bucks. Remind you of another well known guitar maker? :wink:

But you do get a Honduran Mahog body, 3A Flame solid top and a braz board with the HLS-360!

Easy Crossing said:

couldn't agree more ............. all hat & no cattle :lol: .....................

JVsearch said:
Easy Crossing said:
JVsearch said:
Easy Crossing said:

I was talking generally about the entire Tokai range:
LS-160 Plaintop, LS-260 Solid Flame Top models. These HLS models kind of provide something in between the other LS models, but I see your point, if you want the vintage specs of the HLS and no veneer then you got to pay the big bucks. Remind you of another well known guitar maker? :wink:

But you do get a Honduran Mahog body, 3A Flame solid top and a braz board with the HLS-360!

It's another you can't have your cake and eat it too!

Easy Crossing said:

I checked on this particular piece but it seems to be just a sample photo used by Kurosawa and not of the actual piece on sale. Disappointed!

Latest posts

Back