whats up with this finger board?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Scalloped, ala Yngwie Malmsteen.

Don't know if Tokai ever sold a scalloped fretboard, I'd sure never do that to a vintage neck.

The Fender Malmsteen Strat comes that way.

I beleive Richie blackmore was another fan of scolloped fret boards
They aid faster playing

I believe you are right about Blackmore.

I've never played one, kinda of makes me think about bidding on it.

Anyone know if Tokai ever sold a strat scalloped?

barburny said:
I beleive Richie blackmore was another fan of scolloped fret boards
They aid faster playing

They're garbage for fretting chords. Press down slightly too hard on any string and it'll go wildly sharp on you.

I'm a bit embarrassed about not knowing this but I've been doing some research and a profesionally scalloped neck looks great.

The neck on ebay looks guff though.

reckon I might get my starter/practace guitar done...

JuniorEnthousiast said:
Looking at the pics in the ad I think scaRop was right. That's some scary ****. Do these scalloped board always look like cr*p?

Yes.

check out the how to scallop on youtube... Theres some pretty good vids with a guy and his metal rasp.

There's also some well done ones too, that dont look too bad ...

A scallop is really just an extreme version of jumbo frets, allowing notes to ring out with minimal fingerboard contact, great for legato and fast playing. As marcus says though, playing a chord while pressing a but hard will give big tuning problems, a light touch is required.

I think you can get graduated necks.The fret board is 'normal' until the 7th or 8th fret and then the scallops get deeper the further up the neck you go, so you can still play chords as usual (badly in my case) :D

Latest posts

Back