Tokai original series bass

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Ghost of FM

Reaction score
I bought this bass back in the mid 80's and am trying to find out what it's worth in todays market or any other information you folks might be able to tell me about it.

sn; 4021450

VV4G8136small.jpg

VV4G8137small.jpg

VV4G8138small.jpg

Thanks!

I might as well post one more of it, this one, a more formal studio shot, taken earlier today...

VV4G8140small.jpg

Also, if anyone could help with deciphering any date or pricing codes from the serial number posted above, that would be appreciated too.

Thanks.

I can admire the photography, but I'm afraid that I can't supply any input into the details of this particular model :( .

I notice that the hardware (bridge, pickup and tuners) is very similar to the stuff used by the Matsumoko factory on the Westone brand of basses in Europe in the mid to late 1980s.

Again, I can't help with a value, but Tokai seem to be most revered for their copies of other people's designs, whereas their own creations tend to attract a lot less interest (probably due to ignorance) :-? .

It's nice to see it though, so thanks for posting :D !

I can admire the photography, but I'm afraid that I can't supply any input into the details of this particular model :( .

I notice that the hardware (bridge, pickup and tuners) is very similar to (although certainly different to) the stuff used by the Matsumoko factory on the Westone brand of basses in Europe in the mid to late 1980s.

Again, I can't help with a value, but Tokai seem to be most revered for their copies of other people's designs, whereas their own creations tend to attract a lot less interest (probably due to ignorance) :-? .

It's nice to see it though, so thanks for posting :D !

Fender32,

Thanks for your comments on the bass and on my photography! :wink:

I had a feeling this was going to be a bit of a mystery model but couldn't find any other place on the net with a better group of Tokai enthusiasts, so I guess I could always promote it as a one of kind collector's item and not be too far from the truth! :lol:

Cheers! 8)

Back