Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Z Clones?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Greco
View previous topic :: View next topic  
brain21
Plucker

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

villager wrote:
seriously, I have tried all the boutique guys and only a few come close..

but it depends so much on the guitar...

I'd love to know which ones you've tried, and how they fared against each other and the Dry-Zs. Also did you compare them using high gain or low gain? I learned to stop listening to most of the pickup comparisons on TheLesPaul forum when I figured out that most of these guys are comparing them in a high gain setting. Thats almost worthless to me. With high-gain metal tones you are hearing the amps more than the pickups!

The best boutique ones that I've heard so far are the Holmes (anyone know how the Holmes MIJ pickups compare to the MI USA Holmes?), the Stephens Design for the Peter Green tones, and the WCR Betset (supposed to be based on Dickey Betts sound I believe, but sound more Beano to me).

I have some Harmonic-Designs and some Sheptones. Both are in cheapy guitars. The Harmonic-Designs are in a late '70s Cortez (MIJ) Black LP Custom clone, and the Sheptones are in a Squier Esprit (copy of the $4k Fender Elite & Robben Ford guitars). The Sheptones sound good, but not mind-blowing or anything. Probably more to do with the guitar though.
JohnA
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took the plunge and ordered a set of P1's just before Christmas, and they've been in my LS80 Goldtop for about a month now. They are without a doubt the nicest pickups I've played! My previous faves were Bare Knuckle Stormy Mondays, closely followed by some Florence Voodoo '59's, but neither of these touch the P1's IMO. They are a lowish output pickup, the clean sound is beautiful, loads of nice overtones, in some ways more like a P90 than the typical flat response of a 'bucker.

Add a touch of gain and they bloom in the way a good PAF should, very touch sensitive and sing with harmonic feedback exactly when you want them too. At highish gain settings they are still nicely controlled, no microphonic feedback at all, and the string definition is still there.

My only issue is whether to go for the P0's or P2's next time
barburny
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its great to know that John.
Like you I have the same problem on where to go next.
I think I will try some P3s but just love the P1s so much
claudel
Plucker

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, I wound up with a pair from Motor City Pickups.

I'm not sure how they compare with the "Z"s but I couldn't be more pleased with
how close Wade came to the verbiage I spewed trying to describe what I wanted...

I thought about giving the folks in barburny's link a go, but decided to stay closer to home...
rdpickups
I only know 3 chords

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks John & Murray,

you both know that repeat buyers get serious discount, we also throw in two dancing girls to accompany you when you are playing on stage, these will help draw away some of the attention from the pickups and allow you to leave any venue without being mugged.

Claudel, we will get you next time

Declan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Greco All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: