ST55 - at a price!

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

njnall

Reaction score
Whilst out on a day trip to York today I happened to pass a music shop on Fossgate and in the window display was a Goldstar. Similar or maybe even the same colour as one that FM ?kewe? sold recently except this one has a RW board, it looked in good condition, but not quite good enough methinks to justify the ?699 price tag. Had to repair to the pub very quickly to get a drink luckily it?s next door ......... for medicinal purposes you understand :wink: to help me recover from the shock.

njnall said:
Whilst out on a day trip to York today I happened to pass a music shop on Fossgate and in the window display was a Goldstar. Similar or maybe even the same colour as one that FM ?kewe? sold recently except this one has a RW board, it looked in good condition, but not quite good enough methinks to justify the ?699 price tag. Had to repair to the pub very quickly to get a drink luckily it?s next door ......... for medicinal purposes you understand :wink: to help me recover from the shock.

What it's worth and what people slap on the price tag are two totally different things.

marcusnieman said:
njnall said:

What it's worth and what people slap on the price tag are two totally different things.

Indeed, as has often been said on this forum, a guitar is only worth what someone else is prepared to pay for it. But as also shown on this site individuals sometimes make uninformed decisions to pay for something way beyond what the concensus would consider reasonable, but then I guess most of us have done that at some point in our lives over something or other.

I hate to say this, as Goldstar prices have already gone up a lot in the last few years, but I suspect that there were probably several Strats in the same shop for around ?700 that were not as good as the Goldie. That doesn't mean people should pay such a high price - we know you can buy them cheaper - but we are unusually well informed.

Mike

*Smiles contently with his recent purchase* Good sign for anyone who wants to trade in their goldie at that shop...

Just saw a ST-50 Goldie (red) at thr Rock Inn in Shinjuku, Tokyo for 49,000 yen. Nice shape too. I'd have bought it if I didn't already buy a Bacchus strat. The prices of MIJ from the 80's are getting a little crazy in Tokyo now. Just take a look on Digimart.

Lots of very nice high end Tokais to be had but I think they all got made at a shipyard judging by the weight of them all!!!

Jason

Back