might have a fake, how do i tell?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JVsearch said:
Mike, you're delusional, Tokai copied the Fender Strat. End of. :lol:

Ah, but the search for the perfect Strat never ends..... then again, maybe it does!

:wink:

haha oh wow, look what i started! i do apologize for referring to it as a "knock-off", i realize now that thats not the best term for it. you guys all know what i'm talking about though haha.
well, i borrowed a camera from work, but it turns out the batteries are dead, so the pictures will have to wait until tonight.

so, does anyone know about how much this is worth? after a quick ebay search i only found a couple, between around $400-$600, that sound right?
also, how do i figure out what year it was made?

Don't worry, we often go off on a tangent here. Anyway we're just killing time till you show us the pics. We really can't tell you much more till we see them, little details sometimes help to pinpoint what something is. From what you've said so far, it sounds fine, but the pics will tell the full story.

Also please add your location to your profile like this.

<

Where you are will affect the answers to your questions, particularly date & value.

8)

I think the correct term for the Goldstar is "hommage guitar", i.e. they are a tribute to Leo Fender. Tokai position their own brand name for all to see, therefore they aren't even copies in my eyes.

ok guys, here ya go!
note: the pictures aren't the best, i had to borrow a camera and i'm not good with settings
oh, and i forgot to take a pic of the butt of the neck, it has "6=8" written just like how it is inside the body

tokai gold star sound:
IMGP2338.jpg

headstock:
IMGP2334.jpg

back of headstock:
IMGP2337.jpg

neck plate:
IMGP2336.jpg

body:
IMGP2339.jpg

guts:
IMGP2331.jpg

color code: (its upside down, but it reads 6=8 MB Z, or mayb the "B" is actually an "8"..stupid photobucket, oh and the Z is where the big white flash is)
IMGP2330.jpg

bridge: (saddles read "FINAL PROSPEC")
IMGP2327.jpg

in the case:
IMGP2343.jpg

No worries there rab, I'm sure that is a genuine Tokai. Looks to me like a mid-eighties model, I would say at least a TST-60 because it is a 1954 replica. Looks to be all original apart from the changed tuners and the addition of tinfoil to the pickguard.

I have never seen those 'jmc' inscriptions on the pickups before. It's possible that they may have been rewound at some time. If you can get hold of an electrical multimeter then you could measure the DC resistance of the pickups. They should read less than 6.0kOhms.

colour code is M/B (tokai) metalic blue there take on (fenders_ lake placid blue
looks ok to me ,as mirrorboy pointed out non standard tunners ,but a nice goldstar

japaxes said:
colour code is M/B (tokai) metalic blue there take on (fenders_ lake placid blue
looks ok to me ,as mirrorboy pointed out non standard tunners ,but a nice goldstar

What he said :) I reckon it's an ST-60, all good!

Here is her cousin on the right. My ST55 MB, yours has E pickups, mine has U so there may be a date difference or higher spec e.g. ST60

DSC03468.jpg

Also notice I have the gull wing string tree compared to the button. The knobs also look new / unaged.

Shame about the tuners, I have a spare set of tokai kluson type if you want to revert!

I'm with the others. 4 digit serial & E tuners suggest an ST60, probably from 1984 as you're in North America. The headstock shape had changed for the US market by 1985, & I'm assuming it was the same for Canada (might be wrong about that though).

Goldstars are more common in the UK, so we could tell you what it might sell for here, but you'll need a Canadian to tell you what they sell for over there.

Two questions. What shape is the neck - does it have a slight V profile to the back? And are there any small paper stickers on the back of the neck?

Should be a nice guitar. 8)

thanks for all the replies guys!

and yes, it does have a V profile neck. i like my necks a touch thinner, and i'm not even really a strat kind of guy to begin with, so this guy might be hittin the 'bay in the near future.

Latest posts

Back