Has anyone ever refinished their Tokai to be a Gibson?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Emoco

Reaction score
I'm talking about maybe refinishing their headstock and putting on Gibson decals.

I know a lot of people do this with the Tokai strats.

The Gibson and Tokai logos on Love Rocks are inlays, so it would be a pretty major and pretty pointless job.

Tokai have serious street cred these days, why bother changing it? Unless you want to do something illegal on ebay. :roll: People are actually faking old tokai strats/teles these days, and fake fender owners are rushing to return the tokai logo to their butchered eighties examples.

Anyway, you'd still know it was a tokai under the forgery.

Isn't a great guitar enough on its own?

I have a buddy in Netherlands that did that and he also refinished in Nitrocellulose and he calls his guitar a Tokson
:)

Hi Ochay!

>>I have a buddy in Netherlands that did that and he also refinished in Nitrocellulose...

You wouldn't happen to know how he removed the original (poly presumably) finish?

Thanks,
Ian

Don't know Ian-I'm guessing they had to strip off the paint down to bare wood and repaint-looks killer though even has checking all over the guitar
:D

Thanks anyway, Ochay!

I'm thinking about stripping (and having somebody refinish) my Orville LP sometime in the future. I'm pretty sure it's got a poly finish (it certainly doesn't look like the finish on my Vintage RI Strat). Any tips for determining poly v nitro gratefully received.

I understand that removing a poly finish can be quite difficult... :-?

Ian

Back