Forum Closing?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
labbi said:
Thats exactly what I referred to:

Scaretactics.

You can have the shoebox I am living in, no problem,shoeboxes are not that hard to find.

Other than that- I believe you all now know that I am not bullshitting you.

I don't have a clue what this post means. :eek:

stratman323 said:
labbi said:

Scaretactics.

You can have the shoebox I am living in, no problem,shoeboxes are not that hard to find.

Offcourse you dont.

labbi said:
stratman323 said:
labbi said:

Scaretactics.

Offcourse you dont.

But do you have a problem with shoeboxes ? I asked you that and you didn?t reply to that. You are offcourse referring to a British tradition that in Hyde Park London, if you step on top of a Soapbox on Sundays as far as I remember, you have the oppertunity to speak freely.
This is a part of european tradition, and how we see democracy, and if you have a problem with that I think you should simply say what it is ?

labbi said:
You are offcourse referring to a British tradition that in Hyde Park London, if you step on top of a Soapbox on Sundays as far as I remember, you have the oppertunity to speak freely.
This is a part of european tradition, and how we see democracy, and if you have a problem with that I think you should simply say what it is ?

There is also a British tradition that politicians used to go out at election time & stand on a soapbox whilst lecturing the unfortunate public about how a vote for them would solve all of the world's problems.

Soapboxes are used by people with an agenda to push - they stand on them to lecture us. That seems to be what you're doing, hence my reference.

Capeesh?

stratman323 said:
labbi said:
You are offcourse referring to a British tradition that in Hyde Park London, if you step on top of a Soapbox on Sundays as far as I remember, you have the oppertunity to speak freely.

There is also a British tradition that politicians used to go out at election time & stand on a soapbox whilst lecturing the unfortunate public about how a vote for them would solve all of the world's problems.

Soapboxes are used by people with an agenda to push - they stand on them to lecture us. That seems to be what you're doing, hence my reference.

Capeesh?

I allready stated what my agenda is: Quality. Price. Balance.
I have no buisness potential here at the registry, and it surely amases me how much heat I have to take in relation to this !

MIJvintage said:
Maybe some here should understand why Ned stated the forum would be shut down.
?Due to the continuous thread of lawsuits do to slanderous posts on this forum the forum will shut down on 1/31/2010.?

We've all read that, and it doesn't explain all that much, what lawsuits? From who? What libellous posts? Why are libellous posts even an issue if they're deleted? What more could the moderator of any forum be expected to do when potentially libellous material is posted?

Well, there has been a lot of Gibson bashing here, that might have done it! :lol:

mirrorboy said:
I can only urge those who are concerned about the closure of the Tokai Forum to spare some time to listen to a serious discussion about the root issues concerning this situation. You only need to listen to the first 36 minutes.

http://thedrilldown.com/2009/08/24/...ch-vs-harassment-the-end-of-online-anonymity/

Maybe then it will be understood how this type of situation only benefits mean-spirited individuals and lawyers at the end of the day. It also goes some way to dispelling the myth that litigation of this sort can only happen in America.

Jeez, that's heavy going Tom! I stuck 5 minutes of that turgid discussion & it was like wading through treacle!

JVsearch said:
MIJvintage said:
Maybe some here should understand why Ned stated the forum would be shut down.
?Due to the continuous thread of lawsuits do to slanderous posts on this forum the forum will shut down on 1/31/2010.?

We've all read that, and it doesn't explain all that much, what lawsuits? From who? What libellous posts? Why are libellous posts even an issue if they're deleted? What more could the moderator of any forum be expected to do when potentially libellous material is posted?

Well, there has been a lot of Gibson bashing here, that might have done it! :lol:

LOL, I'm not an attorney but my post that you excerpted that from should be taken as a whole.

I'm not a member of any forum to second guess any owners, or moderators; the TF included.

Ned has his reasons for whatever he does, or doesn't do here, as in the locked thread from last weekend.
I'm not here to question Ned's motivations, as I take what he says at face value, as we all should.
Ned doesn't owe any of us an explanation for anything, as much as we may want it.

As I stated in my earlier post, "Again, I do not presume to speak for Ned but maybe Ned has had enough of the ?noise? here."

Well, I don't think it was fair to put the blame on a particular thread where some of us were just talking like grown people with all due respect to each other.

I'm into web designing and webmastering and I can see some problems going on on this web because I have lived them myself before but since they haven't been yet stated, I can't talk further.

What it comes to my mind is that sometimes webmastering is a full time job and like in all jobs, sometimes there is nothing to do and sometimes it becomes a nightmare, finding yourself with your real full time job and you second full time job.

I think one of the best things of this place is its community :D and I really don't want to lose contact with friends here, so, whatever will happen, hope we manage to save the community with all of its members.

Thats the best comment I heard tonight so far :)
Thanks Ganzua !

ganzua said:
Well, I don't think it was fair to put the blame on a particular thread where some of us were just talking like grown people with all due respect to each other.

I'm into web designing and webmastering and I can see some problems going on on this web because I have lived them myself before but since they haven't been yet stated, I can't talk further.

What it comes to my mind is that sometimes webmastering is a full time job and like in all jobs, sometimes there is nothing to do and sometimes it becomes a nightmare, finding yourself with your real full time job and you second full time job.

I think one of the best things of this place is its community :D and I really don't want to lose contact with friends here, so, whatever will happen, hope we manage to save the community with all of its members.

MIJvintage said:
Ned doesn't owe any of us an explanation for anything, as much as we may want it.

Yeah, fair enough. :(

MIJvintage said:
As I stated in my earlier post, "Again, I do not presume to speak for Ned but maybe Ned has had enough of the ?noise? here."

This 'noise' you speak of, and seem to know about, can you clarify? I haven't noticed anything untoward since the LS-200 episode.

stratman323 said:
Jeez, that's heavy going Tom! I stuck 5 minutes of that turgid discussion & it was like wading through treacle!

Exactly what I thought Mike! I posted the link in an attempt to demonstrate how incredibly complex these issues are. There are many parallels with Ned's dilemma to be drawn with from that debate. Internet communities are still in their infancy and there is a great diversity of cultures from around the globe that do not necessarily conform to universal standards of politeness.

JVsearch said:
MIJvintage said:

Yeah, fair enough. :(

MIJvintage said:

This 'noise' you speak of, and seem to know about, can you clarify? I haven't noticed anything untoward since the LS-200 episode.

I used the word, "maybe" as my statement is nothing more than a guess.
I know of nothing specific.
The idea that I was attempting to get across is that doing what any forum owner does, and as in Ned's case being a moderator too, is that it's at times likely having more responsibility than one desires.
Besides the money that it cost, I can imagine that it could be a lot of work to wade thru' all of the debates, and what not.
It's probably like being a virtual police officer at times, trying to keep the peace.
I would not personally have the time, and/or patience for that.
Would anyone here want that job?
I wouldn't.

The only thing I have been attempting to do here is to get others to see what it may be like from a forum owner's perspective.
We usually see things from our own mind set & eyes ................

JVsearch said:
MIJvintage said:

I also would like to know, but it seems VERY clear to me that Ned is NOT going to explain, for whatever reason. Continuing to ask can't really help, under those circumstances.....

May I suggest that not aggravating Ned is the best way of trying to ensure that something can be salvaged from this? I too would hate to lose this community we have here.

mirrorboy said:
stratman323 said:

Exactly what I thought Mike! I posted the link in an attempt to demonstrate how incredibly complex these issues are. There are many parallels with Ned's dilemma to be drawn with from that debate. Internet communities are still in their infancy and there is a great diversity of cultures from around the globe that do not necessarily conform to universal standards of politeness.

You cant blame internet communication for things going astray.
Diversity of culture takes an effort. If you want to conform your politeness to the web, all that is needed is a good knowledge of who you are talking to.
And a good portion af human understanding.
There is no way that one cultures legislation and cultural habits will fit
on top of another culture.

Thats the dilemma and thats the excersise.
Thats why I speak about the things we do have in common.
Quality. Price and balance.

stratman323 said:
JVsearch said:
MIJvintage said:

I also would like to know, but it seems VERY clear to me that Ned is NOT going to explain, for whatever reason. Continuing to ask can't really help, under those circumstances.....

May I suggest that not aggravating Ned is the best way of trying to ensure that something can be salvaged from this? I too would hate to lose this community we have here.

Ok, thanks Dad! :lol:

I was asking MIJ, as it appeared that he had noticed some 'noise' himself, and I was worried about what it was, I would seriously be gutted if I had contributed to getting this place shut down.

Hey Mike, maybe it was those comments we both made about the very cheap PRS from you know where? In hindsight, clearly this forum isn't the place for that type of discussion, and I'm going to delete my post in one minute.

MIJvintage said:
Besides the money that it cost, I can imagine that it could be a lot of work to wade thru' all of the debates, and what not.
It's probably like being a virtual police officer at times, trying to keep the peace.
I would not personally have the time, and/or patience for that.
Would anyone here want that job?

Yep :lol: that's part of my business and there are a lot of more tasks involved that you will never see as reader/member.

Sometimes the server goes down and you have to deal with the hosting company all day. Sometimes part of the web just stops working and you have to spend a whole week trying to find the cause. You have to back up the database, sometimes once a week, sometimes daily.

There are zillions of spamming posts, spamming registers, spamming direct injection right into the database that you have to manually erase. There are legal issues that become international when a web is in some particular languages like English. All this and more and then becomes the easy part that is moderating the forums.

Latest posts

Back