7OKAI SILVER STAR 1980 ss-36

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mojo hobo

Reaction score
Another 7okai silver star i picked up from a six guitar shopping spree seven weeks ago! just arrived today after seven weeks at sea!
1980 serial number,

30122009569.jpg

30122009570.jpg

30122009572.jpg

30122009573.jpg

MOJO HOBO

garygkn said:
How much would I expect to pay for one of those being based in the UK?

On eBay UK, usually somewhere in the ?350 to ?400 region for the basic models, though prices do vary, & every now and again somebody pays more for one. They were only released onto the Japanese market when new, so we don't see as many of them in Europe as we do of the other models that were released here - Springys & Goldstars.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250553371944&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320459201453&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320456496651&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250520804253&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260499203332&ssPageName=ADME:X:AAQ:GB:1123

Mike

You've been busy mojo hobo! Is the scratchplate original? I thought they were either all white (scratchplate & pickup covers/knobs) or - more common - all black?

CHEERS STRATMAN323,kinda went on a MIJ shopping spree seven weeks ago,I brought this one because i have never had a strat with a rose fingerboard or played one ,so i got this one ,I really like this one more than the ysb silver star from 1981 with the maple board,but both sound and play fantastic ,find myself playing deep purple and hendrix stuff ,cannot stop myself :lol:
DO NOT KNOW ABOUT THE PICKGUARD YET!
I will have a look at the pups tonight before the festivites begin,at the moment i have guitars everywhere needing new strings ,set-up ,cleaned & polished.
By the way the case is 7OKAI as well got that for 23 pounds on a seperate auction by its self :wink:

MOJO HOBO

Is it a Tokai tweed case? I got one of those with my Metallic Green Goldstar ST55 earlier this year. Nice case, like the Fender tweed cases but a little smaller.

Yeah I much prefer the feeling of a rosewood board to maple. 8)

NO! Just a plain black one ,my springy sound from 1983 came in a tweed one,not sure it is a tokai case ,i will check the hinges to see ,no tokai label on the front :(

MOJO HOBO

Well looks like the pickguard is not the original DOH! never noticed it was 10 holes instead of 11 hole,I AM STILL LEARNING OK!.Give a man a break! I miss the small things like that,THANKS MIKE( stratman323) It is the only way to learn ?
The pickups are correct and not replacements ,black bottoms and thin black outer twin core wiring looks like its a SS-36 model .
Anybody got a silverstar pickguard in black or white 11-holes :oops:Where can i get a correct speced replacement!!!

MOJO HOBO

Oh, I never noticed the 10 holes - never seen that before! How strange....

I guess the only way to learn is to read the posts on here and pay attention! That's all I did, & I hope to continue learning. Sometimes we learn more when we make expensive mistakes, sadly. A replaced scratchplate is pretty cheap & easy to change.

With regard to the case, I suppose it wouldn't be a tweed case would it? Tokai copied Fender, & Fender phased out tweed cases around the late 50s. Black Tolex replaced brown Tolex around 1964 ish, so a 70s Strat copy should have a black case.

yeah MIKE i thought thats how you knew it had been replaced ,LOL :D When i brought i knew a lot of ss were all black,never thought anymore of it until now :roll:
I Really do not know where you would get a 10-hole pickguard or what guitars came with them,so i did a little digging last night and found nothing ,diddly squat,I looked at every japanese stratocaster i could find ,not one 10-holer could i find,I think i read a thread that PEAVY stratocasters had 10 hole picks ,but never found a photo of one!IT Is really thin as well although it is 3 ply ,it wobbles and bends easily.

So any fender 11-hole guard will fit?ALL PARTS ETC...

Thanks mike!

MOJO HOBO

I'm not sure what would fit a Silver Star. I have a Goldstar that has been fitted with an Allparts replacement scratchplate (mint green) & it fits fine. So it should also fit a Silver Star, I would have thought.

But don't blame me if it doesn't...... :-?

stratman 323 ,do you reckon a korean 1995 squire strats pickguard will fit this tokai, it is 11-hole balck, 3 ply ,comes with pickups as well bonus,

MOJO HOBO

Sorry, no idea. I do remember that when I was having a go at assembling Strats from various bits a few years ago, I was surprised how many variations there were in all kinds of details. Not everything that looks "standard" is standard!

Having said that, I would expect an 80s Tokai to be a more accurate copy of a Fender than a Korean Squire is. But I might be wrong there. :-?

Just thinking about sizes and screw hole positions , before korea squires were made in japan ,so was thinking they might be compatible in some unlogicial way :roll:
You are right ,a original japanese 7okai pickguard is as accurate as fenders ,so i will keep my eyes open for one on yahoo.japan using rinkya,there was a couple last week ,fully loaded with pups ,pots,
From higher model silverstars than my low ss-36.

MOJO HOBO

Has yours got the Tokai switch? You know, the ones where positions 2 & 4 are sort of half notches, if that makes sense?

Well stratman323,yes if you mean positions 2&4 are not an equal half way distance , they click into postion very at unequal distances between 1-3-5.does this make any sense mike,

HERES IS A LITTLE DIAGRAM OF SORTS:

1-2---3---4-5

N-NM--M--MB-B

N=NECK PUP
M=MID PUP
B=BRIDGE PUP

The numbers represent the position and click of the switch.when the correct notch is found.

MOJO HOBO

mojo hobo said:
Well stratman323,yes if you mean positions 2&4 are not an equal half way distance , they click into postion very at unequal distances between 1-3-5.does this make any sense mike,

HERES IS A LITTLE DIAGRAM OF SORTS:

1-2---3---4-5

N-NM--M--MB-B

N=NECK PUP
M=MID PUP
B=BRIDGE PUP

The numbers represent the position and click of the switch.when the correct notch is found.

MOJO HOBO

Yours is a standard 5 position switch. What Mike was referring to is that the position 2 and 4 on the Tokai switches don't click into place as firmly as postions 1, 3, 5...... kinda like there is just a half notch to catch the blade of the switch.

marcusnieman said:
What Mike was referring to is that the position 2 and 4 on the Tokai switches don't click into place as firmly as postions 1, 3, 5...... kinda like there is just a half notch to catch the blade of the switch.

Exactly what I was trying to say. :D The best Strat switches ever made, in my humble opinion.

Thanks marcus ,yes i think i know what you mean now,that is what i was trying to explain in my diagram, positions 2 and 4 do not seam to click in to place as firmy as position 1-3-5,it feels like a half click and not as firm feeling notch,

HOPE THIS IS WHAT YOU BOTH ARE TRYING TO DESCRIBE :-?

MOJO HOBO

Latest posts

Back