Dating Cat's Eyes CE-400

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And just to be clear, you do not have a "huge problem" If the action is a bit high for your tastes it can fe fixed easily and cheaply

greco_burst said:
Dave has offered to buy it back, hey, that is great, and thank you,

pm me your address Dave and I will pm you my paypal address.

Dave, if you've offered to buy back a guitar you sold over two years ago because someone has NOW decided to have a whinge about it just make sure it's exactly as it was when you sold it BEFORE you part with any cash. A couple of years in a hot, humid climate could be the casue of the 'problem'

95% relative humidity in Brisbane early 2008 :(

I think this thread is in danger of turning into the Monty Python dead parrot sketch.

JohnA said:
And just to be clear, you do not have a "huge problem" If the action is a bit high for your tastes it can fe fixed easily and cheaply

How many times do I have to say it, putting this right is a piece of cake and it'll be another 30 years before the guitar needs a neck reset. Could you post a pic from the same angle of the bridge?

Well Mick,

6 months before that it didn't look like that! Have you got something wedged under the other end? You can see from one of the pic's I took for you when it was sold that it wasn't like that. It was about 4 mm at most on the low E.

4mKlfKdEJ47sCNBM3603ks3kskXL01.jpg

On looking at bit more grecoburst, your newly added picture has clearly been distorted. I saved a copy on my desk top and flatened it again. Can you post the whole pic showing both ends of the guitar?

4mm at the 12th on a Martin style guitar, especially a 25 year old one is pretty good, I would call 3mm at the 12th a low action on an acoustic. I would say any swelling is totally negligable, and the guitar could be playing like new for the cost of a decent set-up.

Sorry Dave and Mick, I seem to have opened up a hornets nest with all my 'belly swell' talk, I've seen Martin's with a 10mm 12th fret action caused by swelling, I really dont theink that's the case here.

greco_burst said:
JohnA said:
Exactly how high is it? mm from top of 12th fret to bottom of the low E?

It is the same as what Dave says 4mm at the 12th, but is 6mm at the 20th fret.

My Yamaha FG401 is 3.5mm at the 12th and 4mm at the 20th fret.

Both guitars have a Bridge height of 12.5mm

The action like I said is a bit high, but the problem is the height increase after 12th fret, waay too high.

Gecco_butt, the action wasn't like that when I sold it! I'm not entirely convinced it'as bad a it looks from those pic's even now. Very strange how a HUGE problem went unseen for 6 months.

DaveWW said:
greco_burst said:
JohnA said:
Exactly how high is it? mm from top of 12th fret to bottom of the low E?

It is the same as what Dave says 4mm at the 12th, but is 6mm at the 20th fret.

My Yamaha FG401 is 3.5mm at the 12th and 4mm at the 20th fret.

Both guitars have a Bridge height of 12.5mm

The action like I said is a bit high, but the problem is the height increase after 12th fret, waay too high.

Gecco_butt, the action wasn't like that when I sold it! I'm not entirely convinced it'as bad a it looks from those pic's even now. Very strange how a HUGE problem went unseen for 6 months.

The action and guitar is how it is when it arrived davewww.idiot.com

It looks like that guitar has had the strings either too tight {tuned sharp} or left with full tension and not played much. The humidity in Queensland summers is extreme and i have seen good acoustics turn to sh1t really quick here. My advice is when not being played, loosen the strings and put the guitar in its case, never leave for extended periods {especially in our humid temps} with the strings on or out of the case.....
After re reading this thread i think that for someone offering lots of advice to members Mick, that you really have a lot to learn about guitars in general.
Copy and pasting doesn't lead to good advice, playing, reading and dissecting guitars for over 30 years does.....

Mick

Sorry Mick but i have been avoiding this for a while but
Your name calling to me just shows who you really are.

Isn't that the pot calling the kettle black..!! It may do you well to go back and reread all of your posts and the way you handled your original dispute.
Creditability goes a long way mate.... Oh ..trhere is a difference in the pics Dave posted and yours, the neck angle looks to have changed since you bought the guitar and humidity will definitely do that..

Mick

As far as belly swell is concerned, I'd be astonished if any good steel string acoustic has a soundboard so flat that you can't rock a steel rule on it. The obvious fixes for that ??a really heavy top or laminated top or really heavy bracing ? would be worse than what they tried to prevent.

Certainly neither of mine have a perfectly flat top, but given that they've both got an action of ~3mm at the 12th and ~4mm at the 20th, I can't see that I've got anything to worry about. It's probably worth noting that the older of the two is a 1984 Sigma with so many similarities to the CE400 shown above that it's uncanny. Bracing would be pretty much identical to that in a Martin, too. Also worth noting that it survived over a decade in the UK, a few summers in Sydney (nearly as humid as QLD) and another decade in Adelaide (where it's seriously dry) without any mishap.

It stays in its case when not being played, of course, and lives in the coolest, most temperature-stable part of the house ? Mick's advice a couple of posts above should go without saying, though I've never really bothered to de-tension the Sigma.

Incidentally, Grecoburst, if you haven't already, the other thing that's worth looking at in all of this is the neck relief. Too much of that would obviously contribute to a high action.

Latest posts

Back