Please help ID/Confirm this Breezysound

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marcus

Reaction score
Hi there . . . I just picked up this Breezysound for $475, and would like some help to confirm if my understanding is correct. I believe this to be a 1984 or 1985 Breezysound, probably a TE-50. However, I wouldnt know if this is an ATE or a TTE, as I am not completely sure what the specific difference is (can anyone elaborate on that?)

In any case, any info etc. to help ID or confirm my understanding of the year and model would be most appreciated. And while I thought that $475 was a pretty good price for this one, overall in very good condition but for some very tiny dings and some minor scratches, if anyone can let me know if my understanding re price as well is correct, this too would be most appreciated.

Thanks!

IMG_2447.jpg

IMG_2445.jpg

IMG_2448.jpg

IMG_2446.jpg

Since no one else has bitten: I'd have that one as an ATE from 1985 or later, and can't see anything to suggest that it's not legit. That said, I've never owned a Breezy and could very easily be wrong. As I understand it, the difference between the ATE and the TTE is that the ATE was built for export with a modified headstock (like yours), while the TTE was for sale in Japan (and presumably anywhere else where the threat from Fender didn't worry Tokai's lawyers too much).

You'll need to tell us where you are before anyone can tell you much about the price, and almost certainly need to supply more info before anyone can narrow it down to a particular model number. Did it still have a sticker on the heel of the neck when you bought it? Any marks on the pickups or in the body cavities? One or two-piece body? Neck shape?

I am located in southern california, and bought the Breezysound from a guy who said he's had it for 15 years. He believes it to be a 1985.

No sticker anywhere on the guitar.
Havent yet opened up to examine body cavities, but will do so soon.
Two piece body.
Neck shape seems closest to a 60's style oval, though some may call this more of a vintage U, and it is very similar to the Squier Classic Vibe 50's Tele shape. Nice, but not quite as chunky as an AV52 RI Tele. Certainly not as fat as a Nocaster neck.

Looking at the chart at http://www.tokaiguitar.de/content_images/B2.jpg, since this guitar has a 6 saddle bridge, and is two-tone sunburst, 3 ply PG with 8 screws, this would seem likely to be a TE50, but I'll pull the pups and see what's beneath and that should give a clearer answer.

Here are some additional pics, inside the various pockets, etc.

No numbers under control plate, but there is color indication (GS) under neck pup.

Anyone have a sense if this is truly a 1985 Tokai . . . .?

IMG_2460.jpg

IMG_2461.jpg

IMG_2464.jpg

IMG_2462.jpg

IMG_2466.jpg

IMG_2468.jpg

IMG_2469.jpg

Given what you've said, and the photos, it seems reasonably likely to me that it is from 1985, but you need someone who knows much more about the Breezys to confirm that. There's nothing that jumps out as being wrong, or to suggest that the seller mislead you.

On the internals, at the very least the pickup wiring has been changed in yours, and I strongly suspect that the pickups have been replaced too. Rest of the electrics are probably original.

Where's a Breezy expert when you need one?

If pickups have been changed, I am not complaining, as they are outstanding.
In a review on Harmony-Central, I think referring to a 1987 Breezysound, it mentions TEB pickups with braided wires, so I am now thinking these pups and wires seem legit, at least based on that review.

Still would appreciate any info from any "Breezy" experts out there too . . .

I agree with Gabe, pickups look original to me too. I do wish that ALL members would add their location to their profile! It's a vital piece of information during a discussion like this, & it's so easy to do.

How do we know it's a 1985 and not a later 80s model? When did Breezys like this stop being available in the US?

Latest posts

Back