Love rock pick ups

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt15

Reaction score
Hi can somebody tell me how to take the covers off the pickups on my new tokailove rock please

You have to unsolder the two contact points on the bridge plate and then they just slide off. Use solder-absorbant braiding.

But it's quite easy to irreversibly mess up, so your best bet is to take it to a pro.

I've used a fairly low-tech approach to cover removal on all the humbucker-equipped guitars I've owned. I score the soft solder joint several times with a utility knife until I can break the connection with gentle prying. Takes about two minutes, and the cover can be snapped back on again and it will hold tight.

I KNOW its been covered before, but can somebody enlighten me with the latest thinking on what difference taking the covers off humbuckers makes to the sound. I'm a tinkerer, and the weekend is coming up ;-)

I took my covers off and they were wax dipped pick-ups underneath is there any way to get reid of the wax??

You might want to leave the wax there if you play with a fair amount of gain. The wax keeps the pickups from squeeling with higher gain tones.

your question should read, "can the wax be safely removed"...no. it requires heat, sustained heat.

Back