Greco SS series?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoachD

Reaction score
Any idea exactly what this is?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120506624196&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I think the pickup cavity shows that it is MIJ? Can't see the serial number though.

Are there any Greco SG's with nitro finishes?

Thanks

I'd say it's exactly what he says it is. 89 greco SG. Looks to me like an SS600 mint collection.

Truss rod cover is mint and open O suggests mint. Also no fret edge binding like on the SS super reals from 1980 or 81.

According to people here nitro is only on the model numbers 850 and above so I doubt it's nitro. But I can tell you that I have a 1980 SS500 and the finish is super thin. Also there are no "for sure" rules with these things so you never know.

Thanks

So maybe nitro maybe not, but a good thin finish regardless.

How is the "Mint Collection" regarded? Midline model?

Mint Collection was just the name used after super real. So there are models of Mint collection all up and down the price spectrum. The SG's only came in 4 models as mentioned...500, 600, 700, and 800. The 500's are based off the SG special (pete townsend type) with P90's. (Amazing by the way) The difference between the 6 7 and 8 seem to only be trem on the 7 and 3 pickups on the 8. At least for the super real. Mint probably won't be much different.

Regardless that guitar is probably pretty nice. And that price is reasonable for one already state side..if that's where you are.

I see it's sold..did you buy it?

No someone else got it. Thanks for the info though. I'm really a novice when it comes to Greco's. Do the early to mid 80's Greco SG's have the more accurate crown inlay?

in 1990 catalog, yellow headstock inlay is only in SS-900D, but that has also zebra seymour duncans (At least in catalog picture).

http://www.grecoguitars.de/images/catalgues/Greco-1990-MintCollection.pdf

Very nice guitars and very nice crown inlays to boot. I have an '88 just like that one in the auction I am considering selling. Comes with a hard case and I am in Tennessee as well. PM me if interested.

atha said:
in 1990 catalog, yellow headstock inlay is only in SS-900D, but that has also zebra seymour duncans (At least in catalog picture).

http://www.grecoguitars.de/images/catalgues/Greco-1990-MintCollection.pdf

Interesting that in that catalog all of the LP's and SG's are poly

I bought that Guitar.

I found this post trying to figure out exactly what it was. These confused me a bit. I guess that the Mint collection SGs only had a few model #s helps. From the picture I couldn't tell if it has a yellow inlay or a decal. Any guesses out there? I think I've seen models supposedly from this era with the more Gibson loooking inlay too.

The finished looked like it might be lacquer. I always look chips in the finish and the gloss. Poly seems to have more glare, and often dents instead of chipping. Going from the lower glare, and chips, I'm hoping it's lacquer. I don't know if I'd buy a guitar without a few chips. That said, who knows? It could be thin poly, and the '90 catalog did say poly on all SGs. I'm hoping the neck isn't too big, or at least a nice comfortable big.

Did any of these have fret edge binding in '89? I don't really even like fret edge binding, but it does seem to indicate the higher end models.

What pickups might be in this one and what are they like? hopefully something that sound like a VH 1.

This is my third attempt to get a great Japanese SG to go with my Gibson SGs. So far I've had two Burnys and an Edwards and none of them quite did it for me. I sold the Burnys (after stealing the pickups out of one and putting Duncans in one) and I think I'm going to sell the Edwards. I was going to get one of the Orvilles for sale right now, but the Guitars Japan guy said Grecos have more "mojo" and as you could see, the price was great w/ shipping, original parts, and a bunch of Tonepros stuff.

Long post, huh?

Congratulations! I'd be interested to hear how you think it stands up to your gibsons. I think greco's are pretty amazing...at least from the two I have..one a higher end LP model and one SS500 lower. Both have amazing action. And so far greco pickups have been incredible. Not sure what would be in yours. The neck on my SG is thin but wide. I've heard that's typical for SG's.

Personally I've never seen any post Super Real models that have fret edge binding but I'm sure some exist. I think it was just probably not a standard feature.

As for Grecos having more mojo than orvilles well...I think that is probably some bias coming through. I have an ObG LP and it's true it's not quite as nice as my Greco, but it's also a lower comparable model. I don't think much separates SG models compared to Les Pauls so really I doubt a greco SG is going to blow away an ObG.

Be sure to give us some pics and your impressions when you get it.

Thanks for the info.

I'm curious how the Guitar will compare to the Gibsons too. I have three and there all kind of different. One's a '64 Junior, one's an '87 '62 style Custom and the other is a '92 special I bought w/ no parts except the truss rod cover, pickguard, and the control plate. I had a wraparound tailpiece on it and made it into a Glen tipton SG. The neck on all of them are different w/ the '64 being by far my favorite, but I also used to play that guitar almost every day. There can be as many differences between Gibsons as the different brands.

I'm not one who thinks Japanese guitars are all better than Gibsons. It just depends. Plus, there seem to so many more Gibsons out there that they can often be had for less than what I see some copies going for. Some of the copies are going for big bucks lately. With Gibsons you nearly always get lacquer and since about the late '80s the neck shapes seem to be pretty good. That said their new list prices are ridiculous, the fret work on most models blows, and they've been trying out some pretty terrible paint jobs on some models that aren't cheap.

What are the Screaming pickups like?

You think I has an inlay, not a decal?

The neck will be wider, but not a baseball bat?

Still hoping for lacquer, but not holding my breath.

The SG arrived a few days ago w/ a cracked neck joint. Other than that a pretty cool guitar.

I paid w/ Paypal and want my money back. I didn't pack it, so it's not my fault. How do these things usually work out?

**** sorry to hear that. Honestly I don't know. There was another thread recently with someone who's neck was cracked during shipping.

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=15153&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

That was from Japan though. I don't know about the ebay thing. You might have some trouble if you didn't open it in front of the postal people.

You'll probably have to file a dispute with pay pal asap and try to come to some agreement with the seller. I'm assuming it wasn't packed very well.

Hope it works out for you.

chrisq206 said:
The SG arrived a few days ago w/ a cracked neck joint. Other than that a pretty cool guitar.

I paid w/ Paypal and want my money back. I didn't pack it, so it's not my fault. How do these things usually work out?

Very sorry to hear this.. you can imagine I know just how you feel.
A Paypal dispute may be your best recourse or you could file a claim with the USPS (assuming the guitar was insured for full value) I ended up getting my '88 model (identical to yours) repaired by an excellent luthier in the Nashville area. The guitar is completely stable tuning-wise, resonates well and sounds and plays really well. Perfectly good work horse at this point. Like others here have said, this sort of break is really common on SG's. A decent luthier won't blink at such a repair.

Latest posts

Back