New To Tokai

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Easy Crossing

Reaction score
Looking at a NEW LS150 and this LS-60 Les Paul Reborn both of which I know little about as I have always went the Gibson route and am new to Tokai. Decisions decisions which one to choose.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280435008372&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Can't help you much with the question of which is the better guitar since I haven't played a recent Tokai at that level ? there's one due any day, mind ? but there will be others along later who can give you some idea of how they'd compare. But I can tell you that from my relatively limited experience with Gibsons I'd take my 1983 Love Rock over a recent Les Paul, probably up to the point where you're getting into the custom shop models. Even then, I tend to prefer the Tokai necks and frets. And that's before you get to price.

The one you've linked to looks to be a very nice guitar in very good condition, and there's nothing that seems dodgy about it, at least to my eye. No real idea about US prices, unfortunately, but that doesn't look ridiculous.

On a purely hypothetical note, supposing I was satisfied with the price, condition and the trustworthiness of the seller, I'd be leaning towards the Reborn ? if only on the grounds that it's much easier to find a new LS150.

BlueThird said:
Can't help you much with the question of which is the better guitar since I haven't played a recent Tokai at that level ? there's one due any day, mind ? but there will be others along later who can give you some idea of how they'd compare. But I can tell you that from my relatively limited experience with Gibsons I'd take my 1983 Love Rock over a recent Les Paul, probably up to the point where you're getting into the custom shop models. Even then, I tend to prefer the Tokai necks and frets. And that's before you get to price.

The one you've linked to looks to be a very nice guitar in very good condition, and there's nothing that seems dodgy about it, at least to my eye. No real idea about US prices, unfortunately, but that doesn't look ridiculous.

On a purely hypothetical note, supposing I was satisfied with the price, condition and the trustworthiness of the seller, I'd be leaning towards the Reborn ? if only on the grounds that it's much easier to find a new LS150.

I have both.... an LS60 Reborn and a new LS150VF. From a playing and tone perspective, the LS150 smokes the Reborn. Better neck on the 150, better construction and nitro.

But that Reborn you are looking at is gorgeous - killer burst on that and an HSC to boot. It's also a piece of history. On that alone, I'd buy it. (and it is a great sounding guitar - the 150 is just better sounding to my ears)

That's a good looking Reborn! 8)

I'd have the newer one though, for the simple reason that I like flame maple tops.

Either would be an excellent choice. Tokai Japan don't make any bad guitars, simple as that. The Reborn will probably appreciate more in value though.

Take advice from the guy who has both, Marcus...buy the LS150.

I'm amazed that so many people recommend the LS-150 over the older model Tokai's. As a long time Gibson owner I hear so much about the LS-150 that is remarkably like or even better than the old Gibson Les Pauls I've owned. Over the years Gibson QC has become less than desirable while at the same time inflating their prices to a point that many can not not afford even their least expensive model. I myself am learning to live without the Gibson name on the headstock while enjoying better quality instruments at a reasonable price.

The LS-60 has a 14 degree headstock, medium tenon and poly finish, the LS-150 has an 18 degree headstock, long tenon and a nitro finish.
These are probably contributing factors in the choices that our members have made....

Mick

leadguitar_323 said:
The LS-60 has a 14 degree headstock, medium tenon and poly finish, the LS-150 has an 18 degree headstock, long tenon and a nitro finish.
These are probably contributing factors in the choices that our members have made....

Mick
+1

Easy Crossing said:
This is one of the LS-150 I've got my eye on. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270500209679&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

That's my favorite finish! If you order directly, you can get that price with shipping included. I ordered from www.kurosawagakki.com and was happy with the service.

They have this similar LS-150 for 126,000 Yen = $1,40.78 US but that's as far as I got as I can't read Japanese to determine what other charges may apply. http://www.kurosawagakki.com/items/detail/61936.html

Easy Crossing said:
They have this similar LS-150 for 126,000 Yen = $1,40.78 US but that's as far as I got as I can't read Japanese to determine what other charges may apply. http://www.kurosawagakki.com/items/detail/61936.html

You might email their sales and ask for a quote with shipping. I bought an LS150 from them, last month, for 120,000 yen and 16,000 yen shipping. That worked out to about $1540 US, but depends on exchange rates.

I sent them an email regarding the purchase price and asked if it comes with hard shell case which was not listed with the guitar. Would be nice if their site was in English as well.

Easy Crossing said:
I sent them an email regarding the purchase price and asked if it comes with hard shell case which was not listed with the guitar. Would be nice if their site was in English as well.

I ordered my LS150 from Kurosawagakki using Rakuten portal, http://en.item.rakuten.com/k-gakki/tok-ls150-vf/

Matti

Just made the purchase and according to the seller I should have the guitar in hand in about 5 days from Japan to USA. The Ebay purchase was the easiest for me to do as payment goes thru PayPal with out the hassle of figuring exchange rates or trying to translate Japanese. The seller has an excellent Ebay feedback and communication skills which further eased the transaction for me. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270500209679&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Easy Crossing said:
Just made the purchase and according to the seller I should have the guitar in hand in about 5 days from Japan to USA. The Ebay purchase was the easiest for me to do as payment goes thru PayPal with out the hassle of figuring exchange rates or trying to translate Japanese. The seller has an excellent Ebay feedback and communication skills which further eased the transaction for me. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270500209679&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Your eyes will fall out your head when you first see this guitar...when you open that case you'll think you're dreaming, but you're not, it's real.

All the best, you just bought the last LP you'll ever need.

I'd still be letching after that Reborn LS60 if it hadn't been sold already, and wouldn't necessarily change my opinion on which to go for, but having taken delivery of a GA150Q earlier today I'm certain you chose the better guitar. Will be interested to know what you make of it.

Back