Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Any good suggestions for modding a Tokai LS-230
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Tokai Guitars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MIJvintage
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

billyvasil wrote:
WOW! You guys are that much against any changes to this guitar?

I am not talking about changing any of the electronics which are all spec'd out great or drilling aimless holes into the top...

I am just wondering if anyone has tried the locking bridges (tonepros or faber) and tuners that retro fit this guitar without harming it in anyway. Tonepros and gotoh make kluson type locking tuners that supposedly drop right into place. Hasn't anyone here tried any of this out?

I have a 2000 Tokai LS-320, which for that time frame is pretty much top of the heap

Someone on here questioned if it was even a LS-320, because of the green CORNELL Dumblier caps.
I eventually started a thread in which several members confirmed their LS-320s were in fact equipped with the very same caps
Even the one member that doubted my LS-320 was a LS-320, has the same green CORNELL caps in their 2000 LS-320
Funny stuff ..............

I also have received several recommends for changing the pickups in my 2000 LS-320, and I don't recall hearing the chiming in of "don't change" from those posts.

Must be something in the water ...................

"Yeah, yeah. We're in the bureau of beer and fire and cigarettes. And maybe some chicks, too." - Beavis
billyvasil
I only know 3 chords

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was expecting more posts to deal with a metric verses inches argument or "this won't fit" but not an all out "don't ever change a thing" discussion.

I will retain the guitar as is (I guess) until I get to know it's sound better and feel better, then I will re-address this question of modding when I am ready.
JVsearch
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The advice about trying it for a while before you make changes is worthwhile advice, but as long as you're not routing and drilling for stupid mods (which you're not) change it as much as you like in my opinion! It's not a vintage piece for cryin' out loud.

If I had spare money, all my Gibson type guitars would be upgraded to Pigtail hardware because it simply is better than any mass produced parts out there. Fender types may get Callaham or something like that. Whether the guitar actually needs the improvement from those bespoke parts, or whether I can even hear it is a whole other issue that's very difficult to quantify, so the best thing is to do whatever you want.

As far as the locking tuners go, the Gotoh Kluson type locking ones are excellent (Fender type came standard on my Momose Strat) and as long as there is no new holes or reaming needed, I say go ahead and put them on. They are not actually needed to keep a LP in tune (using the string reversing lock technique aka proper way to string up a LP) but they do make it much easier to change strings quickly. My pet hate is green tuner buttons on a LP, so as soon as I get round to it those snot green shitty buttons will be gone!
stratman323

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MIJvintage wrote:
I have a 2000 Tokai LS-320, which for that time frame is pretty much top of the heap ..............

I also have received several recommends for changing the pickups in my 2000 LS-320, and I don't recall hearing the chiming in of "don't change" from those posts.

Must be something in the water ...................

No, we just all know you well enough to know that you wouldn't listen to anything any of us had to say!

sasparilla
I only know 3 chords

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would love to see photos!
Derby Ant
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Change what ever you feel like changing dude.
Personally I wouldn't bother with the Buzz Feiten system.
You shouldn't need to upgrade the bridge, as mentioned above.
I never quite understood why you'd put locking tuners on a fixed bridge, although string changes should be easier I suppose.
I'm also a big fan of Schaller strap locks as it does mean you can easily swap guitar straps, which can be useful mid gig if ya wireless gear is attached to the strap.
I'd also look at changing the pickups, but that depends what they sound like.
Actually one of the first things I'd change if I got another Love Rock would be the trus rod cover, the standard Tokai one is really cheap looking.
GPCarpenter
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why fix what isn't broken?
billyvasil
I only know 3 chords

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually the truss rod cover is bell shaped just like a Gibson but it does say Tokai on it.
Big Willie Style
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say do whatever you like so long as you're not physically modifying an already awsome instrument. I see nothing wrong with adding straplocks (they'e on all my guitars), locking tuners (if you really hate string changes that much, and your pickups of choice. I have the stock MKII in my ES and LS-150, but I changed them out of my SG. Didn't like how they sounded (or was it my fingers ). Anyways, dropped a set of Growldogs in and it brought the guitar to life, IMHO.

Jason
billyvasil
I only know 3 chords

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the guitar in question. It is still on it's way to my loving arms...
Diamond
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's an awesome looking guitar.

I like the case as well, I just bought one in black...a third of the price of a Tokai case.
Makes me wonder why Tokai don't have their cases built in China.
billyvasil
I only know 3 chords

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

billyvasil
I only know 3 chords

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a shot of the truss rod cover I was talking about.
leadguitar_323
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forum member Togps is the guy to see, send him a pm, if i am correct, he was the guy that had these made..

Mick
Goestoeleven
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a Gibson "Standard" TRC on mine.

I like the look of it, and it fits with just one more screw hole about 5mm up from the original top one.

Mods on mine are limited to a pair of locking buttons, the above mentioned TRC and some Grover Deluxe tuners in original design, but die-cast with finer ratios. These weren't absolutely necessary, but one of the originals was bent, so I just changed the set.

Nothing else to do to it now. Finished.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Tokai Guitars All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: