LS120 with solid maple cap

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:wink: 7 lbs is insane !!!

I'll let you know about all the gorry details on this AXE-

I have a ls-120 that has a ser# 2 younger than this one and it is solid flamed maple and one piece back-This is the younger sister-I bet she sings when you stroke her :oops:
Regards,
Mike
Received her yesterday (8/30/04)! As I expected REAL Flame Maple split top-7 pounds she's not-Closer to 8 though-Real Light, Not a 2 piece back(although I can see where he might think it is 2 piece) Stock Demarzios inside and an added suprise in the control cavity-Bumble Bee CAPs installed-someone loved her at one time, What is interesting is the color it's almost exactly the same real light Burst as her sister, But later on in serial numbers the color is darker??
Thought u ought to know.
Mike

Yes lets us know please and put ME out of my misery.

Hi Ian. I just got back off hols. You must be as curious as I to find out about this one. I've almost given up with trying to work out what's veneered and what aint. I know my LS80 aint! :D

But as for the rest of em that "pretend" to be SOLID tops on ebay and the like.... :evil: . Half the sellers out there must be extremely dense, blind, can't be bothered to look in the pickup routing, no jack about Tokais or, are just plain old sharks.

So...Will someone show me a fcuking pre 82' solid top LS120 upwards please?

Holiday was good thanks.......

I might add that I was desperate enough to have shipped in a Historic Rossington signature that not only looks great but plays and sounds sweet too.

Moral - take advantage of the current ?/$ exchange rate.

Faith in Gibson restored at last perhaps?

Hols, ... somewhere nice I trust 8) . Yep, I think Sharks theory is a good bet ? perhaps you met some of those on holiday (not counting the ones in the water). Well, I think the veneer would be easy enough to spot, if sellers only showed clear interior close-up?s of pup cavities. As it stands, my jury isn?t so much ?Out?, but more like ?boogered off completely? :eek: .

Wow, Historic Rossington :eek: :eek: ? serious GAS there mate! That?s like the Murphy, only more distressed, aged gold hardware, Schallers, ?. & similar whopping price tag, right? I?m also looking at a Gibbo LP right now, but not quite so much dosh lol. Do tell us more about tone & feel etc. ... what other Gibbo?s did you reject along the way?

Ian.

I believe the Rossington is also aged by Murphy. It's a great guitar. You have to scroll down a bit to see them, but this site has a few nice photos.

http://www.davesguitar.com/products.html?13256

A Murphy-aged Gibson is a sure thing, but is priced closer to my budget for a car than a guitar. The sad thing is that the Gibson guitars whose list prices are a bit less (say in the $3000-$4000 range, not that that would really be in my guitar budget either) is that they have such silly things wrong with them - crappy colored crown inlays, or really light- colored fingerboards, or faded bindings on a guitar with a completely unfaded logo on the headstock.

It can't cost that much more to get the color right. It's almost like they sabotage these "lesser" guitars to set you up to jones after one of their REALLY big buck instruments.

I like Gibson?s. I think they can be superb guitars. But they are expensive (especially for anyone outside the USA). And reading the threads on the LPF I have the impression that too many new Gibbo?s need immediate work sorting out uneven frets or poorly cut nut etc. I?d be very disappointed with that even on a Classic or Std., let alone a Historic or Rossington.

Ian.
ps - Lee, did you win the Lottery or something :lol: ?

GAS is cured for a while Ian ("thank the Maker" :roll: )

It wasn't that bad for the Rossington. Used price come in shipped at ?2552. Has a rosewood board too. Didn't want the t-shirt or the display box (what's the point I wanna play it not look at the bugger!)

I know what you mean LF about the crappy inlays. I have a 03 Historic Authentic that's really nice too but some earlier historics have pasty looking fingerboards and other bits and bobs that are plain WRONG.

??2552? If I converted that right it's about $4500 US for the real deal. Congratulations are in order - I think that's a fine price for heirloom-quality a guitar a guy would keep forever. I'll bet you slide the case under your bed at night just to keep it near and safe! <g>

Don't get me wrong, I like Gibsons - even the new ones - a lot. Even the guitars I think they've "sabotaged" (by getting the color wrong on an inlay or whatever) are still great, really well-made instruments: that's WHY I find those cosmetic gaffs so frustrating.

Congrats for the purchase Lee.That one is a guitar for kkeping forever as Scott has told you.I feel it too expensive for myself,but it can increase value as times goes by so you could get rich in future :lol: .

I've been reading this post since the first time and I am intrigued.I hope we can find the key for these LS-120.I remember a year or two ago when Reborns 80 an 120's where avalaible and cheap.I did myself for not having bouth a couple for me. :cry:

Received LS-120 yesterday (8/30/04)! As I expected REAL Flame Maple split top-7 pounds she's not-Closer to 8 though-Real Light, 1 piece body, Circuit board Electronics-Stock Demarzios inside and an added suprise in the control cavity-Bumble Bee CAPs installed-someone loved her at one time, What is interesting is the color it's almost exactly the same real light Burst as her sister, But later on in serial numbers the color is darker (More Cherry Burst)??
Thought u might want to know.
Mike

Just weighed this puppy-8.5 lbs-seems lighter though after holding this Flametop Greco at almost 10 pds-

Congratulations, Mike.

Eight pounds, and a top that pretty that's solid? That's clearly a step up from the 79 LS-100 I have for reference. That's a spectactular guitar.

ian said:
Here?s an LS120 from Japanoldguitar ? they say top is ?laminate? (ie veneer), so I think you must be right. But with a veneer top I can?t see why this model was ever worth twice the price of an LS60 ? at least the 60 had a solid top (& decent Gotoh fittings) :-? .

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3733646427&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

Ian.

This one was a sweet one also-these guys are calling these laminate tops to cover themselfs on ebay-ALL LS-120's from '79 thru '83(I'd bet) are solid Maple Flametops-I have 5 of um now and I have even scraped lacquer from the split seam 100% Maple Flametops

japguitars_fx said:
I been looking at this one too.

BTW Lee that was my 120 you were looking at last week. It ended up going to California.

Yes it was a laminated top. As is the one discused in this thread.
Wrongo-I'm the one that got that beast also-Solid Maple Flametop-Sweet looking also more like a real '59 Flametop-sometimes from the front she looks like a plaintop Les Paul-

Latest posts

Back