Hey guys - what exactly is / was this ?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dadio

Reaction score
Hi I'm new member, been lucky to have purchased a few Tokai from some forum members. Im also interested in Surf guitars, did Tokai ever make one - I'm wondering any anyone has seen this thing - http://www.brandonhabermas.com/tokaidc4.html and comments on what it really is ??

Thanks Rob !

dadio said:
Hi I'm new member, been lucky to have purchased a few Tokai from some forum members. Im also interested in Surf guitars, did Tokai ever make one - I'm wondering any anyone has seen this thing - http://www.brandonhabermas.com/tokaidc4.html and comments on what it really is ??

Thanks Rob !
Ermmm...is Richmond Hill in Canada by any chance?
Coz that's no Tokai that I've ever seen :eek:

dadio said:

Thanks Rob !

You didn't purchase that from a Tokai forum member, I don't think.

Hi Ozeshin ! Yes Richmond Hill is in Canada. :)

OK ... need to get this off my chest - its very embarassing but I saw this on e-bay last night after a looongg shift at work and did the buy-it-now (arrrggghh) and realized shortly after what a stupid mistake I made. :oops:

I can't believe I did that !! I'm always very careful and not sure what got over me and why I didn't see the obvious ...

I'm working with the seller to get my money back and also advised him to remove the Tokai name from it. The seller insists it's a special prototype but he seems to be unaware its not built by Tokai. At least we are communicating, and thats positive.

Man do I feel stupid, my resolve is to spend more time here in the forums and learn as much as I can .... Thanks Guys

Rob

You deserve to lose your money, tell the seller he can keep it. ;)

Hey Diamond - harsh lesson but I agree ! I felt sick to my stomach last night about this ....

But I look it as a lesson learned, I will be smarter from the experience -

On the positive side, I've bought 2 Tokai from forum members and couldn't be happier (an ST-60 Springy and an LS-80) I also have an early Breezy. :D

Also I just heard from the seller and I believe he honestly thought it was a prototype guitar of some kind, possibly some kind of OEM sample and has agreed to refund me, I did ask him to remove the Tokai from it - he indicated it was etched into the truss cover not sure where it goes from here ....

Now into the the archives to learn some more .... :)

dadio said:
Hey Diamond - harsh lesson but I agree ! I felt sick to my stomach last night about this ....

But I look it as a lesson learned, I will be smarter from the experience -

On the positive side, I've bought 2 Tokai from forum members and couldn't be happier (an ST-60 Springy and an LS-80) I also have an early Breezy. :D

Also I just heard from the seller and I believe he honestly thought it was a prototype guitar of some kind, possibly some kind of OEM sample and has agreed to refund me, I did ask him to remove the Tokai from it - he indicated it was etched into the truss cover not sure where it goes from here ....

Now into the the archives to learn some more .... :)
Where it goes from here is that if he relists that monstrosity as a TOKAI again we'll get the auction pulled..as we do with ALL the Fakai.
I may have seemed a bit "flippant" in asking you if you were based in Canada but as 99.9% of all Fake Tokai are sold in Canada I was making an educated guess.

I may have seemed a bit "flippant" in asking you if you were based in Canada but as 99.9% of all Fake Tokai are sold in Canada I was making an educated guess.

My history here is somewhat known, my comments on Canadian Fakai on record, and I have nothing but respect and gratitude for Ozeshin and Mick. But let us continue to be careful and rational here. Where the buyer is from, does not establish where the seller on eBay is from. We don't know who is selling that particular guitar. Let's blame Canadian fakes on actual established Canadian fakes, Canada doesn't need any extra blame, we have plenty with the proven fakes already :).

P.S. In fact, the site in question is in Detroit, Michigan, USA (http://www.brandonhabermas.com/contact.html). Shh, yeah, I know, that's like right across the Canadian border from Windsor, Ontario, Canada ...

Hey, dadio, you might be interested in this. I'm not about to vouch for it, since I've only ever been on the other side of the internet to a Hummingbird, but I don't think it's going to make Oze squeak quite as loudly as he just did! At the very least it looks familiar?

Lexx said:
Shh, yeah, I know, that's like right across the Canadian border from Windsor, Ontario, Canada ...

Funny story. Very early 1960's, we were driving to a Detroit Tiger baseball game from Grand Rapids, Michigan. Negotiating the highways in Detroit, heading for Tiger Stadium - then Briggs Stadium - Dad takes one wrong turn and -- we're going to Windsor, Ontario! Quick u-turn, back to the gate, nothing to declare.. Finally got to the game. Tigers - Yankees doubleheader.

Perhaps the guitar had a similar adventure..

Quote:

The guitar in question was for sale current owner on ebay from Minnesota, USA

The seller has credited the money and I had a long talk with him - I believe he is honest and in my personal and business relations, I find 99.9% people are.

I will review the posts about these "Canadian Fakai" - and BTW this a great site - absolutely facinating material here !

BlueThird said:
Hey, dadio, you might be interested in this. I'm not about to vouch for it, since I've only ever been on the other side of the internet to a Hummingbird, but I don't think it's going to make Oze squeak quite as loudly as he just did! At the very least it looks familiar?

Possibly the ugliest guitar I have ever seen. :roll:

077.jpg

Bleurgh!

That looks more like some sort of martial arts weapon than a guitar. I bet that front pickup sounds nice too. :roll:

Gotta love those "bike reflector" pickups....the first MiJ "SG copy"(and I use the term ever so loosely)had bike reflector pickups along with a dozen or so white switches. :roll:

I don't want to sound rude or anything but I live in Canada but troll ebay thru usa ebay. More selection that's all, however Ebay is full of fakai's that have been up for months, i don't see anyone taking them down, nobody's buying them for the most part either but they are still there. When you say you get these fakai's taken off ebay do you mean Aus ebay & European ebay ??? I appreciate the knowledge shared on this forum and I mean no disrespect to Ozeshin or to anyone else who is willing to help. How do you go about getting rid of the Fakai's on your homeland's ebay ??? North American ebay's are just rife with them !!! Is it just that noone complains or is it something else ??

Probably as you say, BT - by default, they don't come up in searches in the UK unless they offer international shipping, so we never see them.

There's a "Report Item" link on the right hand side of every eBay listing (under the "Other item info" box). Click that and say that it's counterfeit.

http://www.brandonhabermas.com/tokaidc4.html

Sorry friends but this is a genuine Tokai.I remember a review of this baby in 99? in Guitarist magazine in the U.K.Apparently it had a very heavy ash body about 9 pounds but sounded pretty good. Gabe.

Was it reviewed as a production model Gabe?
Be handy if u could dig up the article.
And BT...we kinda rely on YOU Canadian and U.S. based guys to post up the links as you find them...if all of us do as Alan stated the auctions will be down in a day.

Latest posts

Back