Info about Tokai Loverock 1982

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thirdfret

Reaction score
Hi everybody!
I'm thinking about buying this Vintage Tokai:

http://img517.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=img2046o.jpg

Info from the seller:
Tokai Love Rock japan year 1982.
Honduras mahogany body
maple top
PU- Seymour Duncan Alnico II.

There's nothing stamped under the pu's...
someone can give me any further information about this guitar? (it's possible to know if it's a LS-60, LS-80...)
How can i know if the body is made of real Honduras Mahogany?

Thank you very much for your help!
Best regards, Mike.

I'm going out on a limb here, but I think that Love Rock was made in 2002. "20xxxx" serial numbers can be 1982 and 2002. And, I can't figure out for sure how many pieces the body or top is (doesn't seem to have the LS-50/60 type top).

It just doesn't look old to me, but hey, it could just be that it's really mint. Have to wait for some of the experts on this one, because there's a huge price differential between 1982 and 2002! I hope you don't miss out on something good because of me, sorry but that's what I think (cautious nature though).

Do you know the seller at all? Can you get any more pics - inside the control cavity and pickup cavities?

Hi JVsearch, thank you very much for your answer.
I don't know the seller, but he's selling in a well known forum in Spain (but he can be a cheater, of course)
I don't have any other pictures, when i asked the seller about the stamps in the cavities, he told me that nothing is stamped there (no info about control cavity).
I'm agree with you, it looks good for a 27 years old guitar, but who knows...

thanks again, if someone else could add some information or opinion, please, it will be great.

cheers

Looks like an 82 LS50 to me. The top is definitely 3 pieces and the pickups have been replaced - would originally have been tokai 57PAFs.

I think all of the early LS models were from honduras mahogany - perhaps someone else can confirm.

Dave

JVsearch said:
I'm going out on a limb here, but I think that Love Rock was made in 2002. "20xxxx" serial numbers can be 1982 and 2002.
Nope.
1982 S/N 2xxxxxx
2002 S/N 02xxxxx

The guitar looks very clean, but I'm pretty sure that's a 1982 headstock rather than a 2002. The logo and truss rod cover both look spot on.

togps said:
JVsearch said:
I'm going out on a limb here, but I think that Love Rock was made in 2002. "20xxxx" serial numbers can be 1982 and 2002.
Nope.
1982 S/N 2xxxxxx
2002 S/N 02xxxxx

Oops, got confused with 1980 and 2000 serials. Sorry! :oops:
Looks like you're good to go with an early 80's LS-50 thirdfret!

Thank you everybody.
the selling price is 800 euros (hard shell case included -not original-). Do you think it's a good price for this guitar?

Thanks again!

thirdfret said:
Thank you everybody.
the selling price is 800 euros (hard shell case included -not original-). Do you think it's a good price for this guitar?

Thanks again!

Honestly? No. Personally, I wouldn't pay more than 550 euros for it.

Good luck! :D

Hey mate - I paid 400 (uk) bucks for my Love Rock (ls-60 i think) from 1984, hardcase included. in about the same condition as yours (some minor internal re-wiring needed)

I thought that was a good price for a better than epiphone, arguably better than some gibsons I've played. 800 euro seems a bit steep.

400 quid for a ls60 from 1984 with a hard case is a very good price,,800 euros is damned expensive,depends what country youre in,the germans demand or ask stupid amounts for MIJs.
I agree with RYAN and JJ....

MOJO HOBO

Hi Thirdfret. I've seen the ad you refer to, and I've passed on the deal inmediately for some of the reasons already pointed above. It's very expensive, and the lack of certainty about what model exactly it is, it is not good either. A mystery I definitely don't wan't to solve after a purchase. You could also get a bath on resale, if you are concerned about it.

Thanks for all the info.
Definitly i won't buy this one. I have a Tokai Love rock custom order (same specs as an LS 250) from 2008, but i would like to try a vintage one.
Maybe another time...
Thanks again, your contributions have been very usefull for me.

Latest posts

Back