Help to identify pickup.

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

januz

Reaction score
Could someone help me to identify this PU? (From a Burny 335)

Bild1-18.png

Those are the post '87 re-issue VH1's which really are hotter than the originals and sound more similar to the VH2 or VH4 (the silver base and gray wire are also a give away).

Udonitron said:
Those are the post '87 re-issue VH1's which really are hotter than the originals and sound more similar to the VH2 or VH4 (the silver base and gray wire are also a give away).

How hot? (How many k?)

Does these have a ceramic magnet?

januz said:
Udonitron said:

How hot? (How many k?)

Does these have a ceramic magnet?

Can't say for sure but those I have had of this model have all been ceramic. Just take of the covers and check the magnets.

That ceramic comment had always made me curious so, I ve taken all mine apart.I've had several of these late 80's VH1's and have yet to find a ceramic magnet? I've taken them apart and all the ones I've had, have roughcast alnico magnets, like the old 50's style magnets. There black and unpolished on top and polished on the other side. unlike most modern alnico magents which are usually polished all around. As far as dc resistance. most were 8k-8.4k that I've had. Koubayashi, Do you have any you could post a pic of?

NWOBHM said:
That ceramic comment had always made me curious so, I ve taken all mine apart.I've had several of these late 80's VH1's and have yet to find a ceramic magnet? I've taken them apart and all the ones I've had, have roughcast alnico magnets, like the old 50's style magnets. There black and unpolished on top and polished on the other side. unlike most modern alnico magents which are usually polished all around. As far as dc resistance. most were 8k-8.4k that I've had. Koubayashi, Do you have any you could post a pic of?

Ha ha, ooooops :D
Kind of fun if this is true.
I have regarded those pickups as ceramic cause of the black end (and thrown them in the garbage).

:D I don't think you hurt anything so, it's all good :D Alot of pickup makers I've spoken too, say the old rough cast magnets have something to do with inductance and has some kind of effect on tone, what that effect is I don't know?

NWOBHM said:

Great news :D
I?ve never heard a PU with ceramic magnets that I liked...

The guitar arrives tomorrow, so I?ll soon be able to find out how these sound 8)

:D I like them, alot of people do. I also like custom pickups like motor city blackbelts.

NWOBHM said:
:D I like them, alot of people do. I also like custom pickups like motor city blackbelts.

The Blackbelts are said to be among the best "PAF-style" PUs out there!
How woluld you describe the tone from the 2:nd generation VH-1s compared to the Blackbelts?

The later VH1's have a nice tight bottom, smooth top, the earlier VH1's are rounder, softer attack, more mids, less compressed and get cleaner when you turn down the volume. To me the Blackbelts have the best of both, tight bottom, smooth top but, they have the openess of the earlier VH1's, they clean up better. I like all 3 but, to me the Blackbelts have the best qualities of both in one. :D

Thanks, I received the guitar today and you desribed the sound of these pickups, spot on :D

Your gonna have to post a pic! :D I've always wanted a 335 but, never got one! Hmm, maybe it's time to sell a Les Paul and get one. :wink:

Haven?t got a camera at hand, but it?s like the sunburst model below:
Late 80?s /early 90?s RSA-100 in near mint condition, 60?s profile neck and these 2:nd generation VH-1 pu?s :D (Might try a set of Dry Z clones in it though)

100_3592_1.jpg

Very nice indeed 8)

Now I just need a Butterscotch Tele, and maybe yet another Les Paul... :roll:

Latest posts

Back