mid 80's RLG90 on ebay VH1'S

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NWOBHM

Reaction score
Since, alot of peoiple are always looking for original VH1's and I have afew already. here's one on ebay. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280428404415&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en

Yeah, Most of mine aren't that heavy. thankfully! My RLG90, which is 10 lbs.sounds so good though, I made that one exception, only play it sitting down!

I love the hefty ones myself. My back, neck, and jaw are screwed from a car accident but I can still sling and use em for a few hours NP. I am resisting very hard not to buy that one but I have a 80' Burny GT with P90's and that Chandler on their way so I really should resist. I suspect that Chandler will be on par with an RLG 150 or higher considering there were only 25 of them made and, from what I have read, on par with an Historic build and component wise. We will soon see. :wink:

The only thing putting me off is the poorly matched 2pc body... and is that a heel-cap I see?

Hello!

These are no original VH-1s!!!! The original VH-1s have the braided wire but a brass (gold) bottom and not a silver one. These look like the later VH-1s but with braided wires.
Also the electronics are not original anymore. The caps are mostly paper in oil but are a replacement. The originals would have been black!
IMO this is a somewhere below an RLG-90 with the grenn caps replaced and the PUPs hooked up with braided wire.
So I would be very careful!!!

I just took a look at the 1985 Burny catalog and it lists the FLG90 as having VH-2 pickups. Only the FLG120 and 150 had VH-1's according to the catalog.

Pegcityrocker said:
Are you sure those are VH-1's? I didn't think VH-1's came with braided wire.
Yes, The first versions did. The second version came with gray wires in the late 80's and sound completely different, They sound simialar to VH4's. :D

Bumblebee said:
Hello!

These are no original VH-1s!!!! The original VH-1s have the braided wire but a brass (gold) bottom and not a silver one. These look like the later VH-1s but with braided wires.
Also the electronics are not original anymore. The caps are mostly paper in oil but are a replacement. The originals would have been black!
IMO this is a somewhere below an RLG-90 with the grenn caps replaced and the PUPs hooked up with braided wire.
The ones with brass bottoms are L8001 and sound very simialar to these,practically identical. Even Nil's thinks so, on his Burny info page. They are on the 80,81,82 FLG models. The caps are original, I've had 3 Burny's with these caps and pickups. the black caps were mostly on the earlier FLG models. The gray caps came later. I'll add that I have L8001 and these very same VH1 pickups and they sound very similar, just like Nils' says. I have a theory that the L8001 and VH1 are pretty much identical in specs and sound and one just morphed into the other. Both sets measure the same resistance 7.5k-7.6k the neck pickups on both are narrower spaced aswell. If you ever heard them, you would know, there the same and sound completely diffrent to the later gray wired ones. Here's a link to a similar RLG90 with the same pickups and caps. http://www.k4.dion.ne.jp/~yjibika/FernandesRLG90.html

Bumblebee said:
Hello!

No other Burny came with a 2 piece center seam back besides the RLG-90 so I would disagree with you on the "lower than an RLG-90" bit. If it is not an RLG-90 and it has a center seam back then it makes it that much rarer IMO. I understood that only up to 1982 or so did the VH1's have a braided wire. I have seen the grey caps as original on other Burny's so they are legit...besides electronics (pots, caps, etc)...really not a big deal as most of those end up needing replacing anyway as they become corroded with age so those could have been swapped but passing up this deal based upon those little nuances is silly. I would put $$ on this that it is an RLG-90 and I love the variations on the back's mahogany myself :D

Pegcityrocker said:
I just took a look at the 1985 Burny catalog and it lists the FLG90 as having VH-2 pickups. Only the FLG120 and 150 had VH-1's according to the catalog.

Yeah for an 85...this is an 82 I am sure of it.

The RLG 150 and 120 still have one piece bodies and solid flamed (curled) tops, but now the pickups on these are called L8002 vintage. I can?t tell the difference between the L8001 and L8002 pickups, they look the same in every way, and the resistance is the same, and they sound the same!! The RLG 90 has the L8001 pickups, same as in 1980-81. The RLG 90 still has a veneer flamed top, but now on a two piece centre seamed body, (according to the 1982 catalogue). Colour was ch and coh (cherry original sunburst) today called teaburst.

http://www.japanguitars.co.uk/burny%20info.html

Udonitron said:
Yeah...just in the past 5 mins too! I just looked at it and it was still for sale, he accepted the offer of $725...a total bargain!!!
**** it! I didn't need it! That's what I keep telling myself. :D

Tis' the season to give! I need to start thinking of others instead of being so selfish. ha!! :wink:

That is the consumerist brainwashing telling us that. It is all about family, not material goods and gain...that is why I despise Christmas in so many ways. :cry:

This guitar and the one from the Japanese must be very rare. I?m sure it is from ca. 1982-83 and perhaps among the first ones made by Fujigen factory. As far as I know, the 1979 ones are made by Tokai, 1980-81 made by Terada and from ca. 1982 made by Fujigen. In 1982 there was no VH1 pickups, so pickups in these guitars may be the same pickups as in the midpriced Greco?s from this period. The knobs on the japanese one is 1980-83 knobs I?m sure.
And Flg from 1980 has one piece back and veener top, from 1981 two piece back, and the 1982 cataloque says that the RLG 90?s has a two piece center seemed back like Grecos. Because of the centerseam, the knobs and the way it is constructed I will say that it is a 82-83 RLG 90.
But I don?t like the pickups, they should be L8001 pickups !!

Nils

i

Nils...you made a rare appearance! :D

So those are not the L8001's hey? What makes them not, the silver base? Would you suggest that they might be Screamin '82's then perhaps or
?

Latest posts

Back