Best MIJ LP for under $1000 USD?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
my point is that african mahogany isn't "real" mahogany either (if you want to get pedantic).

Khaya spp.: The Khaya species sold as African mahogany ARE part of the mahogany family, but are separate from the Swietenia species of the Americas. The Khaya species tend to be lighter in color, generally more of a salmon/pink in tint, that the Swietenia species, but the color and density are affected by the specific conditions in the area of growth, so there are no absolutes .

It is part of the Mahogany family of woods unlike Asian mahogany.

Mick

CoachD said:
Where do Burny's cross over from MIC to MIJ? Are the "55" models MIJ? Are they all long neck tenon? I presume they don't make a nitro finished guitar?

Only the RLC-85 and RLG-85 models are MIJ, the rest are MIC, including the "55". No nitro I'm afraid.

Thanks for correcting my assumptions about the Burny's. I assume anything numbered 85 and above from the current line is MIJ for all models (ES, P-90's etc)? I assume they sell for about $800-$900 new?

The 105 model that was linked in the other post is not listed on the Fernandez website though from the best i can tell.

leadguitar_323 said:
Khaya spp.: The Khaya species sold as African mahogany ARE part of the mahogany family, but are separate from the Swietenia species of the Americas. The Khaya species tend to be lighter in color, generally more of a salmon/pink in tint, that the Swietenia species, but the color and density are affected by the specific conditions in the area of growth, so there are no absolutes .

It is part of the Mahogany family of woods unlike Asian mahogany.

Mick

really? i was under the impression it was related (unlike, as you said, with the asian variety), but still not considered "real" mahogany.

Just checked wiki... I see what I've done now, I read the first paragraph the last time I checked, but not the second one. :oops:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mahogany

from the sounds of things, the south american stuff is the definite "real" stuff, but the african (and similar species) can also be considered mahogany.

i guess it depends on whether you're a member of the gear page or not. :lol:

sorry about that. :)

CoachD said:
Thanks for correcting my assumptions about the Burny's. I assume anything numbered 85 and above from the current line is MIJ for all models (ES, P-90's etc)? I assume they sell for about $800-$900 new?

The 105 model that was linked in the other post is not listed on the Fernandez website though from the best i can tell.

Hmm, I guess the RLG-105 must have been discontinued, probably why it's a good price.

On the Fernandes link I gave you, if you click the blue "EXPANSION" button next to the model you are interested, it says "made in Japan" if it is actually made in Japan. As I say, I think it's only the RLC-85 and RLG-85 (The humbucker Customs and flame-top Standard).

Back