New Tokai! Model? Fakai?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coach

Reaction score
Hey guys. So I acquired a new Tokai via e-bay this time (oh why? why?).
The guy I bought it from on ebay didn't know the model of the guitar. I thought I figured it out, but I'm finding some discrepancies, and honestly, I'm just scared that I might have bought a Fakai.

I can't supply you with fotos just yet, but here's a description of the guitar.

Violin Finish, Plaintop, Mother-of-toilet seat Tokai logo, dimpled Tokai headstock (came from the UK). Could clearly see the long tenon on the neck pickup cavity.

Up to here, it certainly looks like a LS135 I'd say. But here's where it just starts getting strange.

Electronics look like something out of a LS90 or LS85. Pickups are no longer original, nor are the tuners, or the truss rod. Everything that's not original is now of Gibson USA make.

The guy did say he changed electronics, but why would he change a pretty good electronics setup to the green cap/japan pots, with computer wire?

I'll get some pics up this afternoon. Cheers

He may have TOLD you that the guitar has Gibson parts...but Gibson hardware is in Imperial measurement and Asian built guitars tend to be Metric.
We really can't help you AT ALL without pics of:
Control cavity.
Front and rear of the headstock
Pickup cavities
Underside of the pickups themselves
Do you have pics from the Auction?
Or a link to the auction?
And one other thing...if you were able to find us AFTER you bought it...why didn't you search us out BEFORE you slapped down your hard earned?

Ozeshin said:
And one other thing...if you were able to find us AFTER you bought it...why didn't you search us out BEFORE you slapped down your hard earned?

Easy Oze! Don't bite the guy's head off for finding us too late.

:roll:

He's right though, without pics it's all speculation.

Mike

I only found out about this site after buying the guitar, and only then did I find out about Fake Tokais. I thought no one in their right minds would make a Fake Replica, but boy, was I wrong.

Yes, I meant the truss rod cover >_>

http://img69.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=pickupcavities.jpg

Here's the album. I couldnt photograph the pickup cavities myself, because the numbnut screwed the pickup screws too tight, and made a mess out of the head. (I know there's got to be a better wording for that, but I'm not a native english speaker).

Thanks!

There's nothing there that screams fake ? not to my eye, anyway. But as you say there have been some interesting decisions.

You'll have to wait for someone with better knowledge of the more recent models for more info on exactly which one it is and what's been changed internally. Have certainly seen caps like those in a Love Rock, but on a circuit board rather than handwired.

Upon closer inspection (not really closer, just well duh) that doesnt seem at all like Violin Finish!

Were there any Cherry Sunburst Plaintops with long tenon coming out in 2003?

I'm confused. Heh.

EDIT:
Some more developments, there was apparently versions of the LS125 SEB in Cherry Sunburst with Plain Tops.

I believe they also had long tenons, but I can't find that info anywhere.

I'd say that's definately a Tokai LS. Nothing in the pics says Fakai.
There are experts on here that will be able to nail down the model.
Better pic of the pup cavity might help.
One piece back? Looks like two-piece to me from the picture. Pretty sure a LS135 would have a one-piece back.

The caps and pots look just like the ones that I had in my LS90Q.

I believe it's a one piece back yes, but it's hard to tell with the mahogany grain. I'll try to take a picture so you guys can judge.

The caps and pots do look like LS90-ish, but with the long tenon and the plaintop it just makes no sense.

Yeah, I think I've seen that photo. You might be right.

I'll have to melt through the pickup rings though, the screws just aren't coming off. *sigh*

Managed to pry the pickup rings open without breaking them or damaging the guitar, so that was nice.

It's not a long tenon to my dismay. Shame. Probably a LS85 then?

How did he describe it in his ad? Long tenon, single piece back, nitro finish...
If he misled you, then you should be able to get your money back.
Or was it a case that you were hoping you'd got a LS135 for the price of a LS80ish.

He didnt know the model, I thought I might have grabbed a fantastic bargain, but as it is, I grabbed a normal bargain ;)

Thanks for the help, and shame on me for not asking pre-buy. I probably would have gone for it anyway even if I knew before hand that it was a LS85

Coach said:
I believe it's a one piece back yes, but it's hard to tell with the mahogany grain. I'll try to take a picture so you guys can judge.

The caps and pots do look like LS90-ish, but with the long tenon and the plaintop it just makes no sense.

Actually it does make sense, I prefer the caps & pots in the LS90/95/100 over the CTS in the 150...it's a matter of personal preference.

Your guitar looks like an LS90 Plain Top in Cherry Burst or Heritage Dark Cherry(as long as it has the Made in Japan on the back of the headstock)...what a beautifully grained piece of wood.
It's not a one piece body, but you might not find the seams.

Enjoy it, it's awesome.

I'm with the other guys...it's an LS90 plain top.
Stock electronics but those Gibbo 500T's are a bit of a bonus...wound a bit hotter than the 490T...she should sound pretty beefy.
Can't go too wrong with an MiJ LS80/90/100.

Ozeshin said:
I'm with the other guys...it's an LS90 plain top.
Stock electronics but those Gibbo 500T's are a bit of a bonus...wound a bit hotter than the 490T...she should sound pretty beefy.
Can't go too wrong with an MiJ LS80/90/100.

I might actually swap them this coming Christmas for a set of Lollar Imperials, but I'll only make that judgement after a proper setup, and proper string gauge.

Pretty happy with it, and I swear to god, Tokai has the best poly finishes ever. I had to do the cotton swab test to prove to myself that it wasnt Nitro.

Thanks for all the help. I'll put some pictures of my Orville By Gibson ES-335 Birdseye Maple on the proper forum section now that I've made myself at home in the forums!

AS mentioned above those internals look standard tokai 80/90 to me.
But those gibson pickups probably make it a bargain as they could fetch you good money if you sell em, they'd most definitely cost good money to buy new.
Looks a nice guitar though.

Latest posts

Back