Burny headstocks

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
januz said:
Did you find time to check the finish with acetone?
By the way, when you looked at the bottom of the pickups, do you remember if the routing had this shape of the square in the pickup cavities like in a Tokai?

The guitar doesn?t need to have nitro finish as far as I?m concerned.
I would love to own an early 80?s MIJ 335, but as long as this isn?t some Chinese fake and the price is right I?m interested.

Let me know if you decide not to keep the guitar!

I don't want to apply acetone anywhere on the guitar :D
There is not really any good place on a 335.
Anyone has an idea?

The finish is very thin and that is what matters most.
Check your email about the Greco SA800!!

Koubayashi said:
It would be impossible to sell a Japanese made 335 for 50000yen new even in Japan. The salaries and everything are too high for that.

This one obviously sold for 59,800 yen which seems logical as the price new is said to have been around 100,000 yen.

PrisBurny335.jpg

I made an enquiry to Ishibashi regarding this guitar
CherryRSA-1.jpg

The reply read:

Thank you for your enquiry.

=315114605 RSA-100 --- 45,524Yen
I am aftraid to let you know this but thisa model is held by another customer...
I am terrible sorry such inconvenience.

However I will inform you the condition of the guitar first.
If you still would like this model, I put you on waiting list.

-Some scratches and dents could be seen.
-Hardwear parts looks clondy, they are dull and a little rusty.
-Neck condition is good.
-Fretwear could be seen, especially low position.
However approx.70-80% remains.
-Working condition is good.
-Serial number is "0212021", this model might be made in Japan.

Might be made in Japan...
Might just as well have been made in China then...

I suppose we?ll never know about the origin of these so called RSA100 Burnys.

leadguitar_323 said:
Thats easy, made in China. I think it was John A who said these were great guitars for the price.

Mick

This is by far the best Burny 335 I have ever played.
The buidling quality is great, the hardware, the electronics and pickups are all Japanese.

Do the chinese Chinese Burny come with VH1?

This mystery is by far solved. Especiall since there were a Japan made series of Burny made in the early 2000 with serial numbers starting on 02.
Doesn't Chinese Burny have letters in the beginning of the serial number?
Or is that a mix as well?

leadguitar_323 said:
Thats easy, made in China. I think it was John A who said these were great guitars for the price.

Mick

Suppose so.

Koubayashi consider his to be better than any japanese made 335 that he?s tried, so good they must be :eek:

Personally I unfortunately have this hangup that I want a MIJ beauty...

Stupid?

Chinese made Burny have this kind of serial : FG02XXXXXX for a 2002 made model.
There are other manufacturers which are able to made these Burnys.
Just let me find a picture of one japanese LP made model, Ebay seller Chingo have one 4 or 5 months ago.

Do you really think that Burny was able to sell a chinese guitar at 100000 Yen in 2002 ?

The Cherry "Ishibashi 335" has the serial: 0212021 and Koubayashi believes this one to be Chinese due to the TRC maybe beeing a "3 screw one". (Hard to see in the pic)
Apart from that the guitars seem to be "the same".

As I?ve said before, mystifying it is.

le juge said:
Do you really think that Burny was able to sell a chinese guitar at 100000 Yen in 2002 ?

The answer is, of course, no.

The problem is when guitars might be sold as something they ain?t...

Koubayashi has a lot of experience with MIJ-guitars and he believes that this Burny RSA100 - with a sticker/serial starting with 021XXXX - is made by Tokai in Japan. He also says that it?s a great guitar, and I believe him.

BurnyRSA100.jpg

The red Burny RSA100 - with a sticker with the serial 0212021 - from Ishibashi is believed to be Chinese.

CherryRSA-1.jpg

Both are called RSA100, both have a headstock without the flower, both have a sticker in the upper f-hole with a serial starting with "021" both sold in the same price range ( The Red one = 47,800 yen. The burst = 59,800 yen). The only thing that seems to be different (from what one can tell in the pics) is the TRC, but such a thing can easily be changed.

To me it?s hard to tell the difference between the two...

They both might be equivalent to a Tokai ES 110, or maybe just the Burst is - the cherry being Chinese - or they might both be Chinese :x

I might buy this guitar (the burst). I just want to be sure of what I?m buying and that the price is right.
The same goes for Koubayashi, he want to be sure of what he is selling and that the price corresponds to that.
All information about an instrument is vital for both buyer and seller!

Have a look to a detail like the burst of a RSA-60/65 model...on the cutaway.

DS00561511.jpg

It's different on the Tokai model too, so I think Tokai couldn't have made these RSA100.
But there are many others manufacturers in Japan, so...

First of all.

This Burny is a hell of an instrument

Secondly, all hardware and electronics are Japanese. The pickups are VH1 and it is all factory mounted (unless a person with 25cm long fingers that are veeery thin has redone it)

Thirdly, it has typical Tokai routings for the pickups.

Too bad I haven't got a Tokai to compare it to at the moment.

By the way, to compare shape and size from pictures like that doesn't work.

Koubayashi said:
First of all.

Secondly, all hardware and electronics are Japanese. The pickups are VH1 and it is all factory mounted (unless a person with 25cm long fingers that are veeery thin has redone it)

Ahhh, I haven't seen that the routing was the Tokai one. So my first idea was the good one. 8)
You don't have to have long fingers to change pots, just know how to fish a pot... :D

le juge said:

DS00561511.jpg

It's different on the Tokai model too, so I think Tokai couldn't have made these RSA100.

Here?s a pic of a Tokai ES110 from the 2005 catalog I believe

Tokai100.jpg

What to look for at the cutaway?

le juge said:
Koubayashi said:
First of all.

Ahhh, I haven't seen that the routing was the Tokai one. So my first idea was the good one. 8)
You don't have to have long fingers to change pots, just know how to fish a pot... :D

Fish the pots and the jack is no problem.
Just tie them to threads and pull them in to their position.
I have done it on tonnes of semis.
however, it never gets as well and neat done as from factory cause they mount everything before they glue on the top (perhaps it vary from maker to make but I don't think so).

I will buy a Tokai tomorrow so I have one to compare with.

januz said:
le juge said:

DS00561511.jpg

Tokai100.jpg

Looks to me like the Burny's F holes are bound - nice touch.

marcusnieman said:
januz said:
le juge said:

DS00561511.jpg

Tokai100.jpg

Looks to me like the Burny's F holes are bound - nice touch.

And my Burny does not have binding in the F-holes, just like the Tokai.

januz said:
le juge said:

The answer is, of course, no.

The problem is when guitars might be sold as something they ain?t...

Koubayashi has a lot of experience with MIJ-guitars and he believes that this Burny RSA100 - with a sticker/serial starting with 021XXXX - is made by Tokai in Japan. He also says that it?s a great guitar, and I believe him.

BurnyRSA100.jpg

The red Burny RSA100 - with a sticker with the serial 0212021 - from Ishibashi is believed to be Chinese.

CherryRSA-1.jpg

Both are called RSA100, both have a headstock without the flower, both have a sticker in the upper f-hole with a serial starting with "021" both sold in the same price range ( The Red one = 47,800 yen. The burst = 59,800 yen). The only thing that seems to be different (from what one can tell in the pics) is the TRC, but such a thing can easily be changed.

To me it?s hard to tell the difference between the two...

They both might be equivalent to a Tokai ES 110, or maybe just the Burst is - the cherry being Chinese - or they might both be Chinese :x

I might buy this guitar (the burst). I just want to be sure of what I?m buying and that the price is right.
The same goes for Koubayashi, he want to be sure of what he is selling and that the price corresponds to that.
All information about an instrument is vital for both buyer and seller!
I think that red one is Tokai made aswell. It has a pointy truss rod cover similar to a chinese made but it is held on with 2 screws. My 2003 Burnyt RLG-90 had the same truss rod cover and it's made by Tokai too. :D

Back